Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Low-Power Scooter" laws coming to CO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
threar

Buddy 150 (kitted to 171) Italia & 2010 Triumph Street Triple R

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: "Low-Power Scooter" laws coming to CO Reply with quote

Just wanted to make sure riders of 50cc bikes here in CO are aware of the new Low-Power Scooter laws coming into effect July 1st. Here's the link to the full legal jargon:

Legal Document

And for a more readable write-up:

Slightly more readable

Main points are:
  • Scooters previously classified as 'motorized bicycles' or a 'motor-driven cycle' will now be classified as 'low-power scooters'.
  • The definition of a low-power scooter has changed. The maximum wheel size diameter and the thirty miles per hour maximum designed speed have been removed as part of the definition of a scooter.
  • There are now defined penalties for speeding on a low power scooter.
  • Low power scooters are not to exceed forty miles per hour on a roadway.
  • Low power scooters must have liability insurance.
  • People selling low power scooters must have a powersports vehicle distributor license.
  • There are defined drug and alcohol penalties for low power scooter operators.

(Thanks to those over at the Sportique Scooters forum for the original posts there.)

'08 Pamplona : '08 Suzuki S40 : : RIP: '75 Yamaha RD200 : '77 Yamaha XS400

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if it's a 50cc engine but isn't "low-power"?
A lot of folks mod their 50cc bikes for more power.
Sounds like this may turn out to be a real pain (if you get caught, that is).

phuocsandiego

2009 Buddy Italia 150, 2001 Vespa ET4, 2008 Vespa GTS 250ie

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Colorado a lot but these laws are getting a little ridiculous - and this coming from someone who lives in the land of endless regulation. I'd be curious to see how it plays out.
Anachronism

2008 Buddy 50 (70), 2009 Stella

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't see the problem. Liability insurance is dirt cheap, and makes sense to require considering people are on public roadways and can damage other vehicles.

Registration is $5 every THREE YEARS.

Still no requirement for a motorcycle endorsement, just a general driver's license.

It also gets hair salons and sewing machine stores (to name just two in my area) out of the business of selling shoddy chinese scoots.

Plus, goodbye to the 30 mph rule, you can now run a 50 up essentially as fast as it will go. I'm in favor of it just for that.

Really, the only downside I see to law-following, responsible, 50cc scooterists is the liability insurance, which should cost less than $100 a year (for comprehensive on my Stella, it is $88 a year).

In exchange for that, they get the ability to go faster and have better recourse from unethical dealers selling garbage.

Anachronism

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw something this morning while riding to work that made me realize how more regulation is not a bad thing- Saw a middle age lady riding a Chinascoot ON THE SIDEWALK at about 25 mph, weaving around the pedestrians.

Are you kidding me? My guess is she either did not have a license and thought keeping it on the sidewalk would keep her legal, or "was scared" of riding in the street so decided to endanger pedestrians.

myras_girls

2007 Sapphire Honda Metropolitan/ 2009 Light Blue Buddy 125

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got no problem with the new laws. The old laws were kinda ridiculous because you could not register a 50cc scoot as anything other than a motorized bicycle, yet riders of 50ccs were/are getting tickets for driving faster than 30 mph which almost every 50cc can go.
phuocsandiego

2009 Buddy Italia 150, 2001 Vespa ET4, 2008 Vespa GTS 250ie

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a problem with the registration or liability insurance bits... those are all fine.

My main problem is the 40mph limit and the penalties for going above that. If your 50cc can go 50mph, you're still not allow to and going 5 mph over the imposed limit earns you a point. The old 30mph limit was worse but having a limit at all is a terrible idea. Speed limit for roads, that fine of course... but a vehicle that may very well be capable of moderate/high speeds? I think that's the ridiculous part.
Anachronism

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

myras_girls wrote:
I've got no problem with the new laws. The old laws were kinda ridiculous because you could not register a 50cc scoot as anything other than a motorized bicycle, yet riders of 50ccs were/are getting tickets for driving faster than 30 mph which almost every 50cc can go.

Ditto.

myras_girls

2007 Sapphire Honda Metropolitan/ 2009 Light Blue Buddy 125

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phuocsandiego wrote:
I don't have a problem with the registration or liability insurance bits... those are all fine.

My main problem is the 40mph limit and the penalties for going above that. If your 50cc can go 50mph, you're still not allow to and going 5 mph over the imposed limit earns you a point. The old 30mph limit was worse but having a limit at all is a terrible idea. Speed limit for roads, that fine of course... but a vehicle that may very well be capable of moderate/high speeds? I think that's the ridiculous part.

I don't necessarily disagree. I think the reason behind the limit is to avoid people souping up a scooter and registering it as "low powered" when it really should be registered as a motorcycle.

I like the idea of classifying 50cc scoots a bit differently. Honestly I'm not sure I would have started riding if I had to get a motorcycle license to start riding. It sounds intimidating, I think. Of course now I have the license and ride a 125, but starting out I preferred a slower scoot with less power.

jasondavis48108

2010 Honda sh150i

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

myras_girls wrote:
phuocsandiego wrote:

I don't necessarily disagree. I think the reason behind the limit is to avoid people souping up a scooter and registering it as "low powered" when it really should be registered as a motorcycle.

I like the idea of classifying 50cc scoots a bit differently. Honestly I'm not sure I would have started riding if I had to get a motorcycle license to start riding. It sounds intimidating, I think. Of course now I have the license and ride a 125, but starting out I preferred a slower scoot with less power.

I agree for the most part. I do think 50cc scooters should be registered differently but I don't have an issue with the speed cap. Once you are comfortable enough with the scooter to start modding it to make it go faster you are probably at the point where taking the MSF class and getting your liscense is a good idea. At least in Michigan it's not too hard to get your 50cc scooter registered as a motorcycle, I'd say that if a 50cc scooter can go faster than 40mph it probably should be registered as a motorcycle anyway IMO anyway.

TVB

1999 Trek 7300 (Jim); 2009 Buddy 125 (Flash)

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phuocsandiego wrote:

I'd guess they're not trying to limit the speed of the vehicle, but the speed of the operator, who (in most cases) hasn't passed the motorcycle-endorsement test. Including an exemption for licensed motorcycle operators would make sense... but they probably didn't think of that.

cdwise

Buddy 125, Vespa GTS 250

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect Colorado will be like Texas (I noticed the last teen driver law change in Colorado mirros the one in Texas) in that if you have a class M license and go faster than 30mph on a 50cc you are fine. If you have a moped license (required and obtained via written test) you get a ticket and the judge will most likely require you to take the MSF class and register your scoot as a motorcycle not a moped.
MYSCTR

Quad Buddy Scoots: 2009 Potent Pink 2014 Brit TARDIS 2014 De Matt Black 2006 Black 125

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas does have some goofy qualifications to determine if you are riding a moped or motorcycle - they don't seem to understand "scooter". When we spoke to DMV to register our 5th Scooter (Buddy 125) the lady kept going over the legal Texas definition of a moped, and repeating herself.

After several minutes I was able to convince her we were wanting to register a motorcycle and all went well. I think the mistake I made was we told her this was for our daugher and we just got it and wanted it to be special for her and she understood that to mean "small, weak and slow" which does not in any way apply to her Buddy. I mean it is RED with black trim and a black chrome package, come on, it is faster than that just setting in the garage! Laughing

I was very humored by the legal discription though, something about how long it takes to hit a certain (slow) speed although they NEVER mentioned "pedals" so we guess the simple definition of a moped "a bicycle with an engine" (meaning a motorized bike with pedals) don't cut it any more. this may explain why so many others keep calling our Buddy's "mopeds". Shocked
Keys

'12 Kymco Agility 125

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phuocsandiego wrote:
I like Colorado a lot but these laws are getting a little ridiculous

Yep. That's the main reason I left after being born there and living there until age 44. Of course, the rest of the country is following the "we MUST restrict the peasants" philosophy, so I guess I can't run far...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

Jump to: