Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transporting my scooter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
stolley

Genuine Body 125cc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Transporting my scooter Reply with quote

My wife and I were thinking about taking our scooter from Spokane to Couer d'Alene, but we aren't sure we can ride it 2-up that far (still getting used to it). We wanted to transport it in her SUV and were wondering what we needed to do to prep it for travel (remove mirrors, empty gas, oil). Can anyone help. Also, do you think it's possible?
Stormswift

Prozac 150 cc/aka Buddy Itallia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Measure measure, measure. Not all SUV's have clearance you will need. There may be room on the inside (roof) but back door is another matter. My mom's SUV is bigger then mine (hers is Honda CRV, mine is RAV4) but its door frame clearance in the back made it impractical for scooter transport. RAV was not perfect either. I measured the height and Buddy was just an inch over the door frame clearance-wise. That meant tilting while loadig 250 lbs bike. Before we showed Dobby into my RAV4 I took off mirrors, and removed a back seat on the left . The front wheel sunk nicely into the back seat grove. I then flipped the right back seat back into its normal position and that pretty much secured the scooter in place. I also showed every available towel and rag into spaced between scooter and seat to reduce movement. I then wrapped a very thick towel around the left handle bar. I would suggest using care with handlebars period (I managed to skin the right handle bar on the ridge of the roof while tilting scooter to get it to fit in into the RAV4.. If it was wrapped it would not have been any skinning. It may make sense to leave the back window open on that side because the handlebar can bust the window if the scooter rocks during turn or curb. I would also suggest using rags under the scooter in case anything leaks. Remember, they weight some 250 lbs so that is what will be "rocking in your SUV if there is any room for it to "rock". I didn't drain anything. Nothing flooded but I was driving with like 10-15 mph speed and on turns I crawled. My SUV has shock absorbers and they did their job. I wish my ramp was wide. The skinny one I have is great for getting on and of the curb. It is not as great when you have to load at an angle and tilt 250 lbs "baby". We got SUV close to the curb. Got bike rolled up on the sidewalk and loaded it that way into SUV. Every inch less that you have to roll it up helps.. Ideally it takes 2 people to load the bike safely. A female who is strong enough can help but 2 guys would be my suggestion. My situation was not ideal: 2 females one of whom was not able to lift so I ended up with spectacular bruises all over and was so shaky afterwards I "blew" my riding test.
I don't know what you've got for an SUV but whatever and however you do it -be safe.
ryder1

2007 Pink Buddy 125

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size SUV do you have? Will the scooter fit standing up? not advisable to lay down.

Otherwise I recommend you get a Versa-haul. I have a Trail Blazer and the Versa-haul works great. I like it because I hate backing up with any size trailer, but with the Versa-haul that is not a problem. The first few times takes a little longer to secure it, but once you get the hang of the ratchet straps it takes ten minutes at most to load it.
Stormswift

Prozac 150 cc/aka Buddy Itallia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no laying down on the side. Not a good idea. We tilted the bike slightly and there were no ill consequences but then I did not know there could be any at the time. If I knew about the flooding I would not have done it this way especially before riding test Shocked . My scooter was on its side after theft attempt for some time. Since I did not know about the flooding then either and it was winterised already (battery out, stabilizer in) I did not bother to turn it on until spring time. I guess bu then everything drained back to where it needed to be and scooter started on 2nd try.
ilektron

Buddy 125 (Black)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took off the mirrors on mine and was able to fit mine in an Odyssey through the side door. Didn't fit too nicely through the back, even though we measured.
ericalm
Site Admin

STELLA FOUR STROKE FURY! + Vespa LX 150/190 + '87 Honda Helix CN250

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can rent a small motorcycle trailer from U-Haul or another company. Much safer for you and the scooter than trying to cram it in an SUV.

There are a lot of transporting tips here:
http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic3281.html

Dibber

2007 Buddy 125, 2012 Vespa GTS300Super

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 4x8 foot trailer from Menards a home building store and they are available for $179 at Harbor Freight Tools. They are also available in may other stores. I haul two Buddy Scooters in ours. You can also get a 4x4 foot trailer too good for one scooter. I hauled our scooter over several states that way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

Jump to: