Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trying to locate oil leak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » Stella Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
TheHead

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Trying to locate oil leak Reply with quote

I found a oil leak of the two stroke oil on my Stella , I can see that the oil is pooling in the box that the carb and airfilter is housed in. from my understanding the pump that injects the two stroke oil into the engine is also in this box. I can see a small amount of oil collecting near the drain plug that's on the back of this box ( I think it's called the air cleaner box in the part manual).

My question is has anyone ever had an oil leak like this and if so what are some common causes , all the hoses and clamps look ok so I'm thinking maybe a gasket on the oil pump... I attached a pic of the box I'm referring to to help clarify my post.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

2 - many

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could use a little more information.
What year?
How many miles?
I would first check the carb bolts and make sure they are torqued to spec.

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
TheHead

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Year miles etc.. Reply with quote

It's a 2004 Stella with 2300 miles on it. While I was working on it today I did check/tighten the two bolts that secure the carb to the air box , they seemed not losse but not as tight as they should be.

Thx
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

2 - many

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Year miles etc.. Reply with quote

TheHead wrote:
It's a 2004 Stella with 2300 miles on it. While I was working on it today I did check/tighten the two bolts that secure the carb to the air box , they seemed not losse but not as tight as they should be.

Thx

I don't remember the spec but you should use a torque wrench, the carb base can be easily warped.

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
TheHead

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Year miles etc.. Reply with quote

BuddyRaton wrote:
TheHead wrote:

Thx

I don't remember the spec but you should use a torque wrench, the carb base can be easily warped.

OK , good idea. I do have a copy of the service station manual so ill check to see what the spec is. Do you know if the two bolts that attach the carb come loose could it cause a oil leak as I described?

When looking into the airbox I cant really see a source of the leak and as I mentioned its not a large amount of oil so its hard to pinpoint the location.

I bough this bike second hand and it appears to have been leaking like this for some time. There is oil all over the back of the engine from the small leak dripping out and over time then getting dirt stuck to it.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

2 - many

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a channel under the carb gasket to allow oil to flow from the metering device. I would think that if you're loose enough to be leaking oil you would also be sucking air and running like crap (lean).

It could also be fuel/oil blow back from the carb, the gas will evaporate and leave the oil behind.

If you bought it used I would suggest cleaning and rebuilding the carb. A full rebuild kit (change out the needle and float!) is less than $20. You might as well change out the air box gaskets while you're at it.

If you haven't done a carb rebuild before don't panic. It's a great introduction to working on your scooter. There are lots of videos and step by step instructions available, YOU CAN DO IT!

Bcon

2004 Stella, 2005 Stella

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had/have the same "leak" on my 2005 with 4700miles. I had a much worse leak that I fixed by putting new gaskets between the reed block and carb housing. That one was leaking air and oil and the scoot ran poorly.

Now it runs great, but I still get some 2T oil dripping from the carb box air screw opening onto the back of the engine just like you describe. My conclusion is that it's blow back from the carb like was mentioned.

It could probably be greatly diminished if you switch over to pre-mix. My friends who run pre-mix don't have this problem. My theory is the oil injector opening in the carb allows oil drops (not oil/fuel mixture) to be blown back into the air filter/box. With pre-mix you would't have oil drops around, but you'd still get some oil left after any blown back fuel/oil mixture evaporates. To me, cleaning off the oil every week or so is less hassle than pre-mixing fuel.

I'd recommend searching on Stellaspeed.com, there's a lot of technical info there.

aaronnobody

2005 Derbi Atlantis, 2003 Malaguti Phantom, 2007 Buddy 125, 2009 Vespa S150, 2009 Stella 2T

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've just run into the same issue. however, i had enough oil pooled up that it completely covered the air mixture screw hole.

i saw a small amount on nut for the oil pump inlet pipe. took it off to find the pipe is a male flare type fitting and the pump doesn't have a female flare type shape. there is an indentation at the base (which is flat) of the pump from it being tightened. (the carb was on tight btw)

the parts diagram doesn't depict a washer and doesn't show enough detail to see a flare only fitting. i put a rubber washer in there and have yet to test it out for leaks.

btw, 2009, 104 miles. rear hub and tire COVERED in black muck from oil spewing out the exhaust. i have only ridden it at the dealer parking lot. after the huge billowing cloud of smoke i created, i figured i'll go through the whole thing and make sure everything is right before i ride it again.

bought used from local vespa dealer that was completely unfamiliar with the stella, and apparently any px. they thought it was so interesting that it has a shifter. ugh.

on the bright side, found it has a sito exhaust and a 100 main jet already.

fisher1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
btw, 2009, 104 miles. rear hub and tire COVERED in black muck from oil spewing out the exhaust. i have only ridden it at the dealer parking lot. after the huge billowing cloud of smoke i created, i figured i'll go through the whole thing and make sure everything is right before i ride it again.

I'd suspect that's a different matter. 2009s had a known warranty issue with the carbs' 2T oil check valve leaking. It causes the 2T oil to siphon from the oil tank into the carb. Makes a big mess and serious oil smoke at startup if the scoot has sat for a day or so.

Get the dealer to file a warranty claim for it and it will not be challenged.
aaronnobody

2005 Derbi Atlantis, 2003 Malaguti Phantom, 2007 Buddy 125, 2009 Vespa S150, 2009 Stella 2T

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i definitely had a leak where i originally suspected, but i did just now check the check valve. there is an issue there for sure.

it appears that the air box body was drilled too far in. this created an oval port where the round ball is supposed to block oil flow when the engine is not running.

i had that sito exhaust leaning on its side to collect any oil that may have been in there. picked it up to pour it out on a rag. wish i would have poured it in a cup. had to be close to 2 ounces. looks like i should take the reed valve off and pump the case, i bet its full too.

warranty claim wont do me any good because i bought it used. pre-owned i should say (104 miles). there wasn't any warranty transfer and i'm sure the 1 year warranty is long gone anyway. if its a recall i could get lucky. i wont let any dealers in my area touch any of my scoots though. if they let me trade my defect for a new one i'm all set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » Stella Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

Jump to: