Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scooter stolen, what to do?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
Marly1312

Buddy 170i red/cream

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Scooter stolen, what to do? Reply with quote

Hi my 09 buddy, st tropez, got stolen the night from 04/23 to 04/24, havent even had it for 30 days Sad ... already called the police and insurance.. my question is, is there a website thats is "famous" for stolen scooters/motorcycles where i can look for it? Im already frequently on craigslist, ebay and oodle. Any help appreciated. thanks Crying or Very sad
skully93

currently 09 Buddy Italia, Honda CTX700DCT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Experts?

I know there are several sites to post them on, but they elude me and my brain can't formulate the right thread search.

Sorry to hear that though, hope it comes back in one piece!

Buddy 125, LX150, BV350

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really sorry to hear about your ride. At least in this area, Craigslist seems to be the mostly widely used if you are looking for a possible posting by the thieves. That approach is so common that even the police monitor CL in this area. There are also some scooter BBs that run stolen scooter registries. I think scoot.net is the most widely used of those.

Last edited by Dooglas on Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tom

2010 Stella 4T, 1972 Vespa 90

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you from? I've seen people put up facebook notices that get shared all over so that many local people are looking out for it. You might try that.. I hope you find it, sorry this happened to you.

'09 Italia 150, '80 P200E

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoot.net also has a stolen scoot registry.
kimmiekarma

2012 Genuine Buddy Pamplona 50cc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tha really SUCKS!!! So Sorry. Was it locked? That brings me to the question how are most people securing their Scoots? And I thought that as long as they don't have the key they can't start it? DO you insure for theft? on these? Such a bummer you must be heartbroken!! You never know you might get it back.. Say the Saint Anthiny Prayer, it really works!
Rudie

2012 Stella 4T

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimmiekarma wrote:
Tha really SUCKS!!! So Sorry. Was it locked? That brings me to the question how are most people securing their Scoots? And I thought that as long as they don't have the key they can't start it? DO you insure for theft? on these? Such a bummer you must be heartbroken!! You never know you might get it back.. Say the Saint Anthiny Prayer, it really works!

I got theft insurance on my new Stella not because I live in an area with lots of theft but so I could sleep at night (I am paranoid). In the future, when the scooter is less new, I will probably remove it from my policy. It is not too expensive.

As far as securing a scooter I understand that the column lock and a cover goes a long way. But a chains and disk locks help too. There are more expensive options that I have never really looked into.

The sad thing is that if someone is determined to steal you scooter they can usually do it. Cut the chain, break the column lock and get two or three friends help you lift it into the back of a pick up Sad. Anti-theft with scooters is really about making it too inconvenient and risky to try/bother stealing it.
michelle_7728

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a thief wants your scooter badly enough, they will get it. Ask ed85379.

Thieves haven't needed a key for stealing a car or motorcycle/scooter for ages.

If you have comprehensive insurance, you should get something back from the insurance company for the theft of your scooter, but I do not know how much...or how long you will have to wait.

There are lots of threads, and lots of opinions, on how to secure your scooter on the forum. Only you can determine which would work best for you.

These scooters are so light weight that two guys can pick them up and put them in a truck, so you probably want some combination of theft deterants, like thick chain, Xena disc or Gorilla alarm, and maybe even putting a cover on your scooter (in addition to using your steering lock and never leaving your key in the ignition, of course).

People DO sometimes get their scooters back, and I sincerely hope you are one that will...with minimal/no damage.

huskerchic

Buddy 125cc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drive around the area, within 1-2 miles of your home. Most criminals are stupid enough to ride them in the same area where they stole them, believe me, I know. We had a scooter stolen and the dumba$$ drove it in our hood, and we caught him. Also check craigslist for garage sales that list a scooter. Good luck.
Mutt the Hoople

Buddy 50cc Pamplona

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh.... That's just about my worst fear. Do you have one of those local free papers that have loads of .... All kinds of ads in the back and I have never gotten the impression that they are that careful about the kind of ad ... Although those are only weeklies. Craig's list gets some dubious stuff. What a shame. Hope you get it back in good shape.

And yes... You need insurance. You need insurance to legally ride it, so when you buy your insurance, get if covered in case it is damaged or stolen. In fact, in order to take the MRSC through the community college here, you also have to show proof of health insurance as well. Sorry to get off the subject.

lorenajack

2005 Stella 150 2T

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, check Craigslists in surrounding cities as well. We had a PC stolen in Tucson and found it on Craigslist in Phoenix which is 150 miles to the north!
Good to have full theft coverage on the scooter. Not much $$$/month. Worth it in just this kind of situation.
Maximus53

2012 Stella 4T

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what size cover to buy for a Stella?

Buddy 170i red/cream

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: still gone Reply with quote

I live in El Paso, TX, right at the mexican border .... the thing that sucks is that we are moving in 10 days Sad so i wont have internet available for a while and cant check as often.... i keep checking craigslist for alberquerque and Las Cruces too. It was parked right at my front door, didnt chain it, just the steering lock. I had theft insurance, but i only get paid half of what i paid for it, since it was a 2009 and not a 2012 even though i bought it brand new Sad ... police said, driving around and looking for doesnt make sense, it could be 5 houses down in a garage and walk by everyday without knowing it ... and that it takes a couple of days until they either get it started or dissassembled for single parts so i should just sit and wait, which drives me crazy, so i try to look for it online ... and yea i posted it on everybodys facebook wall i know from el paso ... thanks guys i really hope it turns up, i dont really care if it is damaged, i just want it back
gitsum79

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We live 45 miles north of you. We'll keep a look out for it.
Mutt the Hoople

Buddy 50cc Pamplona

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Marly, I hope you get your scooter back but it could well be in Mexico now Sad If someone stole my Buddy I'd be devastated. Good luck.
skully93

currently 09 Buddy Italia, Honda CTX700DCT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a friend is an officer in El Paso. Told him to look for one like mine but blue, or possible repainted recently. sucky thing is if someone takes it over the border....bleh.

So sorry.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mutt the Hoople wrote:
You need insurance to legally ride it

That varies state by state. Washington state does not require it for motorcycles, I have heard. Still, I have it for the comprehensive (theft) insurance.

Lokky

09 Stella, 05 Atomic Fireball, 02 Buell Blast.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lack of registration and tags for 50ccs really drives me insane. I'd hate to find my scoot being driven as a 50cc without fear of getting caught because the cops have no clue. Really miss Ital'y system requiring all vehicle to have some sort of tag.
ericalm
Site Admin

STELLA FOUR STROKE FURY! + Vespa LX 150/190 + '87 Honda Helix CN250

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely post it to scoot.net.

Create a flyer with a photo if you have, description, and VIN and drop it off at local scooter shops. It's not unheard of for thieves to take them in to try to get the ignition "fixed" and so on. Or for someone to buy it ("seller lost the keys, duh") and bring it in.

If the local scooter groups/clubs have sites, forums, Facebook pages, etc., post there. Stolen scooters have been spotted and recovered when local riders have spotted them and called the police.

Marly1312

Buddy 170i red/cream

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: theft protection ... Reply with quote

thank you... and what i forgot to say, whenever i get a new scooter, im gonna get a GPS device, so if somebody steals that, i can pinpoint it ... just wish i would have thought of that earlier, well lesson learned
i posted it to scoot.net and wanted to make flyers, but since it was my only way of transportation im kinda screwed Sad
amy

Buddy 125

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put up BIG posters on street corners in your area "YOU STOLE MY SCOOTER" with a pic of your scoot and any clues you may have. And put "GIVE IT BACK"

If anything you'll get the word out to locals, make the crime public and possibly make the thief feel like a jerk.

Some people did that for their stolen cat here and lots of people saw the signs and kept their eyes open.
ericalm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: theft protection ... Reply with quote

Marly1312 wrote:
thank you... and what i forgot to say, whenever i get a new scooter, im gonna get a GPS device, so if somebody steals that, i can pinpoint it ... just wish i would have thought of that earlier, well lesson learned
i posted it to scoot.net and wanted to make flyers, but since it was my only way of transportation im kinda screwed Sad

I think some of those devices and the service fees can run more than theft insurance on a scooter!

If you find something you like, though, I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in checking it out.

pdxrita

Red Buddy 125, Kymco People 150 (part time), Buddy 150 Italia - RIP 5/3/2012

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: theft protection ... Reply with quote

ericalm wrote:
Marly1312 wrote:

I think some of those devices and the service fees can run more than theft insurance on a scooter!

If you find something you like, though, I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in checking it out.

Maybe you could rig up something using a cheap smartphone (is there such an animal?). This guy got his stolen truck back using the iPad he'd left inside.
http://www.katu.com/news/local/Using-a-free-app-man-finds-his-stolen-truck-149165705.html

Genuine B / A125 / FZ6

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta keep 'em locked up. Especially near the border, i would think.

Here's hoping your next scoot will fare better. Heck, an 'ol ball 'n chain would be better then leaving it untethered

michelle_7728

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: theft protection ... Reply with quote

Marly1312 wrote:

GPS / Lo-Jack thread: http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18801&highlight=stolen

velobuff

08 Aprilia SportCity 250, 05 Yamaha Vino 125

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did you get so little for your scooter?? What insurance do you have??

I once had a car stolen. It was recovered within 30 days so insurance didn't pay to replace it. The thieves screwed up the transmission so bad on their joyride that I wish it wasn't recovered Sad
michelle_7728

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So insurance would pay to replace your car if it wasn't recovered, but not to fix the damaged transmission once it WAS recovered? That stinks. Sad
velobuff

08 Aprilia SportCity 250, 05 Yamaha Vino 125

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They paid it under vandalism but my point was after there's a certain level or type of damage, no vehicle is ever the same.
Tenchi

2009 Buddy 125

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Found mine a mile away.... Reply with quote

Police found it the next day. Called and said it was in one piece....all the parts were in one place together, but the scoot had been totaled. They took the battery out and the ignition switch, and pretty much tore the rest of it up. Hope you have better luck. Oh yeah....scooter thieves are lower than whale poop.
mia_mali

2009 Buddy 125cc

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was stolen....good news is, it was found, so if that gives you hope, I'm glad.

What I did was create a tumblr post with ALL the information of my scooter plus several pictures, used that to repost on FB and twitter, had my friends repost, reblog, retweet, got the scooter community around richmond (where I lived at the time) to repost and with all the eyes, people kept posting up where they had last seen it to narrow down the search a bit and eventually (3 or 4 days later) it was found. The police do their best, but my success in recovering my scooter was due to the number of eyes (largely of the scooter community) keeping an eye out for it and reporting each siting to the police.

When they were arresting the guy, I said, "You shouldn't have messed with someone with such a large social network!" Cool

Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads
ericalm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mia_mali wrote:
Mine was stolen....good news is, it was found, so if that gives you hope, I'm glad.

What I did was create a tumblr post with ALL the information of my scooter plus several pictures, used that to repost on FB and twitter, had my friends repost, reblog, retweet, got the scooter community around richmond (where I lived at the time) to repost and with all the eyes, people kept posting up where they had last seen it to narrow down the search a bit and eventually (3 or 4 days later) it was found. The police do their best, but my success in recovering my scooter was due to the number of eyes (largely of the scooter community) keeping an eye out for it and reporting each siting to the police.

When they were arresting the guy, I said, "You shouldn't have messed with someone with such a large social network!" Cool

Great story!

I seem top remember someone in RVA (jrsjr?) spotting and chasing down a stolen scooter when calling the police! Go RVA!

Swordsman

2010 Ural T

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: still gone Reply with quote

Marly1312 wrote:
It was parked right at my front door, didnt chain it, just the steering lock.

And two guys walked right up, lifted it, and walked away. I've seen vids on Youtube where guys were caught on camera doing just that. Proximity to your door doesn't do much.

'Course, I guess you found that out the hard way. Confused

~SM
scootavaran

Honda SH150i, Suzuki Savage 650

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mia_mali wrote:

Damn I just have like 5 people on my facebooks friends list.
Wont be getting my bike back that way if it was stolen lol.
PeteH

'09 Italia 150, '80 P200E

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's five more than me. I don't do that newfangled YouTwitFace.
jijifer

Voodoo 2009 Buddy 125- aka 161

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, I'd go back to your insurance that scooter had a 2 year warranty on it that you can't get buying used. they should give you the replacement value. bummer if they don't but argue the warranty is worth more. good luck!
Stormswift

Prozac 150 cc/aka Buddy Itallia

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure most remember how my scooter was almost stolen. They cased the scooter ( know I saw that car) Next early morning at about 3 am they showed up with an old Ford or Chevy mini truck and tried go carry my scooter off. I had wire lock and Xena disk lock. Had Xena not gone off and started sqeeling they would have stolen the scooter. Instead they woke up everyone in the neighborhood who has their townhome bedrooms facing the street. On both sides of the street . Our scooters are very light weight which makes them theft targets. I only ride to work and for pleasure. I would love to ride everywhere but I am afraid of having my ride stolen. Our city did quite a lot for cyclists in terms of bicycle lanes but nothing for securing them or scooters in the shopping malls.
michelle_7728

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stormswift wrote:
I am sure most remember how my scooter was almost stolen. They cased the scooter ( know I saw that car) Next early morning at about 3 am they showed up with an old Ford or Chevy mini truck and tried go carry my scooter off. I had wire lock and Xena disk lock. Had Xena not gone off and started sqeeling they would have stolen the scooter. Instead they woke up everyone in the neighborhood who has their townhome bedrooms facing the street. On both sides of the street . Our scooters are very light weight which makes them theft targets. I only ride to work and for pleasure. I would love to ride everywhere but I am afraid of having my ride stolen. Our city did quite a lot for cyclists in terms of bicycle lanes but nothing for securing them or scooters in the shopping malls.
At the shopping mall near me, there are bike racks in the parking lot that I lock my scooter to. You might check, just in case. Smile
Marly1312

Buddy 170i red/cream

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its still missing - my friends keep their eyes open ... i just filed the claim, so i hope i get more than what the estimate was, really hope i can go buy another one, plus locks and chains and alarm and gps ... im gonna get everything i can, to prevent another loss ! Twisted Evil
Marly1312

Buddy 170i red/cream

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

update on the insurance
the first estimate was $1500
now i faxed police report and claim questionnaire 2nd estimate is $2275
i also mailed additional receipts of add-ons and bill of sale so it might change again
so even if i dont get the full price i paid, im still happy that i get most of it
and i had $200 deductable on my comprehensive
michelle_7728

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At less than 30 days old, hopefully they will come even closer to your purchase price. I'm glad things are moving for you though!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

Jump to: