Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brake light questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
mattgordon

The Dragon Red Piaggio BV-350 guy...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:16 am    Post subject: Brake light questions Reply with quote

We just got a new Buddy 125 SI. Great little scooter. the brake light, however on the rear of the scooter does NOT come on, until either brake lever is pretty much fully compressed.

In reality, much of the braking is done on a "feathered-on" basis, where slowing down etc. does not require fully compressed actuation of the brakes levers. I think this could potentially be a problem. Has anyone experienced this? Are the brake light switches adjustable?
lobsterman

Orange & Green 06 Buddy 125, Stebelated

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if it's adjustable or not, but yours certainly isn't right.

I regularly check the operation of my brake light and it comes on with any pressure on either brake lever.

If you're near your dealer I'd take it in and have them look at it.

ellen

Genuine Buddy 125, Piaggio BV200, Honda Metropolitian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was also discussed on the Scooter Diva Forum. Might be of interest to Buddy Owners.
http://www.scooterdiva.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1417

mattgordon

The Dragon Red Piaggio BV-350 guy...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:51 am    Post subject: problem solved...45 minutes Reply with quote

I took the plunge, disassembled the headset covers (easier than on the Vespa, and better fit too!) and adjusted the "response time" of the brake light, which was unacceptable to me.

What I did, was to pop the brake light switch for the rear brake out of it's holder, by pushing the one-way that holds it into place and backing it out.
That tab can be seen from below, and hides in a round hole that it expands into to hold the switch in place.

This switch has a nylon plunger that actuates. I shortened the plunger, maybe 3/32" by heating an Xacto blade and slicing a bit off of the plunger end, the popped the switch back into it's housing. Done...instant brake lights as soon as the lever moved from "home" position.

The front brake wasn't QUITE so easy. The switch is deeper in the headset, in order to clear the hydraulic reservoir, and therefore harder to get out of it's mount. Also, since the plunger on THAT brake switch is brass not nylon, I decided to leave the switch be. Instead, I removed the brake lever itself, and carefully Dremel-ed a very shallow valley where the silver wear mark from the plunger touching it was. This effectively shortened the plunger but without compromising the switch (by trying to grind the brass plunger down causing heat) I did this twice, as the first go wasn;t enough to change the actuation point, but the second pass did. In any event, a little grinding goes a long way!

This entire project took me approx 45 minutes, start to finish, including re-assembly, test and test ride. The brake light illuminates nearly instantaneously when either lever is moved from their "home" position, rather than at the extreme end of their travel. I think this is much safer, and glad I spent the time to do so.
ericalm
Site Admin

STELLA FOUR STROKE FURY! + Vespa LX 150/190 + '87 Honda Helix CN250

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow-good job! Anyone want to try this and take pics?
weaseltamer

'06 sunset-- totaled, '07 Sunset 125-- totaled, 1982 Honda passport -- in the shop

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i have a differant, additional brake light question... I will be getting the rear chrome rack soon and want to add this chrome basket to the back (which i had on my original scoot before the accident) but i was thinking the basket might be just large enough that on a huge truck or suv they couldn't see my brake light by virtue of being too f#@$ing high off the road.
What i thought would be a cute addition, and safer, would be to add some bullet lights (like these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ball-Milled-Chrome-Bullet-Red-Marker-Light-for-Harley_W0QQitemZ140158887390QQihZ004QQcategoryZ35575QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
Can some saavy ppl tell me if they think it would be possible to hook these up? And possibly give me an idea about how to do it? i think it would be a project deferred to my bf, ... he could do it with some instruction. I asked him already he thought it wouldn't draw enough power from the brakelights, being that the brake light is LEDs. thanks guys, Very Happy
ericalm
Site Admin

STELLA FOUR STROKE FURY! + Vespa LX 150/190 + '87 Honda Helix CN250

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weaseltamer, Yes, it is possible! Our founder, Jess, posted a tutorial on MV for a similar mounting on his old GT200.

http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6

Here's a thread on doing it with LEDs on an LX:
http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10941

And, a similar mod for turn signals:
http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=393

See? We have not forsaken ModernVespa.

Admin note: I edited the "f-bomb" out of weaseltamer's previous post. Doesn't offend me, but it is one of those words that still bothers people, and there have even been posts from sensitive readers on MV about it. So please let's refrain from using profanity. Thanks!

weaseltamer

'06 sunset-- totaled, '07 Sunset 125-- totaled, 1982 Honda passport -- in the shop

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericalm wrote:

Admin note: I edited the "f-bomb" out of weaseltamer's previous post. Doesn't offend me, but it is one of those words that still bothers people, and there have even been posts from sensitive readers on MV about it. So please let's refrain from using profanity. Thanks!

sorry just a habit. i'll keep track of it better in teh future.
Bulls Eye

Buddy 150 Italia

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A related issue:

I've got an issue where the brake light is bright all the time. Gripping the brakes would not affect the tail light, so I took the covers off to look at the switches underneath the brake levers.

When I took the lever off the rear brake, I found the same little nylon plunger switch. When pressed, the little plunger switch would dim the tail light. (or turn it off if the engine was not running)

A description of the issue and a few photos can be found here: http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic18337.html

Any solution I find to this will posted in that thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

Jump to: