Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pinch flats--AAARRRGGGGHH!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » Stella Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
EvilNerdLord

2012 Genuine Stella

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: pinch flats--AAARRRGGGGHH! Reply with quote

Has anyone else had this happen?
I had a flat but when I took the wheel off, separated the rim, removed and patched the tube, put all back together...inflated...AND TORE A HOLE IN THE TUBE BY PINCHING IT BETWEEN THE RIM HALVES!

and not just once...I have one spare tube with two 1/4" holes on the inside right where the rim meets and now the one one the scoot (rear) is flat (again, after repairing the original flat) and I KNOW I MADE SURE IT WASN'T PINCHED.

WHAT THE !@#$ AM I DOING WRONG OR MISSING?
i think these are the original tubes from 2012 on right now, front hasn't shown any problems.

Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well, on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
Stanza

Puch Maxi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your avatar picture is perfect for this post.

you should try putting just a little air in the tube during assembly, so it can't sneak between the rim halves quite so easily. I hate split rims myself, I'd recommend the tubeless rim upgrade if you can swing it.
EvilNerdLord

2012 Genuine Stella

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought i did have 'a bit of air' in...buuuut nooo, opposite the stem got pinched.
need to look into split replacement.

Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well, on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
charlie55

'06 Blur (Sold) '05 Honda Helix (Sold) '76 CB125S (Sold) '06 Honda Helix

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dust the tube with talcum powder. Makes it less sticky can help prevent it from binding to the rim and tire during assembly. My old Honda CB was tubed. No split rims, but pinching with the tire iron was always a PITA.

2012 Genuine Stella

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

discovered that my (second) patch (there was already a patch, ran over a nail) didn't hold, had to peel it off and redo the fix.

so...
1) had flat from nail
a) took wheel apart to repaired flat
b) reassembled wheel
2) new flat from pinching tube during reassembly 1b)
b) reassembled wheel
3) repaired tire/tube goes flat again
a) WTF!?!?!?
b) post WTF!?!? on modern buddy
c) gleam answers of hivemind
4) HAVE AH-HA! moment
a.a) discovered patched fail on pinch hole from 3) remove/rerepair
b) reassembled wheel
5) inflate to stated pressure for rear (35 psi) seems too much, but that's what the SOM says as well as the tire itself...so OK
a) so far, so good

Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » Stella Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

Jump to: