Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to tap power?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » Stella Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
Wild_Goosechase

Stella/ Buddy125

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Where to tap power? Reply with quote

I got this cell phone mount that has a QI charger built in, but I need to tap power. I'm new to scooters, couldn't find a fuse block with an "acc" to tap. What's best to tap?
Stanza

Puch Maxi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on where you plan on mounting it. You can get power straight off the battery, or you can splice into the wiring from the ignition. How brave are you feeling?
Mr.FixIt

Stella 2T

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The orange wire is always hot straight off the fuse.
The violet wire is switched by the ignition switch and probably the best choice (this powers the parking lamp and rear running lamp).
Attach the negative to any convenient place on either the black wire or frame.

If you are mounting your device where you can see it, the most convenient place may be routing the wires from the headset and out to a plug where you can get at it. There isn't much room behind the headlamp, but it can likely be done.

RoaringTodd

'04 Stella GB150 '15 Roughhouse '17 Versys 650.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run a battery tender lead from the battery. It sticks out of the left hand cowl. I then plug in an USB adaptor then the charging cord. Works well for me. You can run the cord through the shopping bag hook and up to the headset.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

2 - many

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoaringTodd wrote:
I've run a battery tender lead from the battery. It sticks out of the left hand cowl. I then plug in an USB adaptor then the charging cord. Works well for me. You can run the cord through the shopping bag hook and up to the headset.

Sounds like a nice simple hack Todd!

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Wild_Goosechase

Stella/ Buddy125

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried taking the top off, not much room, probably need to take speedo cable off right? I ran the cable down the neck, stuffed it into the mess of wires behind the front cover. Going to the wire behind the light would be clean since the wire wouldn't rub.
Mr.FixIt

Stella 2T

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For good access to what's under the top instrument cluster cover, just unscrew the speedo cable. The wiring harness should then fold neatly back to see the lack of space in there.

There may be slightly more space under the horn cover, but still not what I would consider abundant. I'm considering doing the same thing and installing a USB port somewhere on the scoot.

It could be as simple as unceremoniously letting a cord hang out the pinch bolt hole in the lower headset casing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » Stella Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

Jump to: