Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

small passengers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
Mr.FixIt

Stella 2T

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: small passengers Reply with quote

Scooting Gurus,

Here's a bit of a debate question.

My son (age 7) loves the scooter. We have a full-face helmet that fits him appropriately. If he dresses with the right clothes I have taken him no farther than the neighborhood in which we live.

So how young is too young to go for a ride? My wife would never forgive me if he got injured. He sits still in the seat and holds on tight.

Anyone else with kids take them out for a ride?

GregsBuddy

Buddy 170i Vespa GTS 250ie Piaggio BV350

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started riding with my girl when she was age 4. She rode in front of me holding onto the bars where the mirrors attach on a Honda Elite 80. She rode with a full face helmet, jacket, gloves, jeans and boots. She moved her hands to the grips and finally began controlling the throttle at about 6 years. She moved to the back of the scoot' at about this time. Her confidence, calm and security were the reasons that I trusted her as much as I did. What huge fun we had!
She's been riding our 170i on her own since she turned about 10. Not on the road. In parking lots with no one around. She now has her M1 and rides whenever possible when home from college.
Be there for them and they'll be fine.

Stanza

Puch Maxi, Honda C70

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as he holds on to YOU, and not the strap across the seat. I wouldn't trust that thing with the weight of a person on the line.
ucandoit

2008 buddy 125

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very cool that your son likes to scooter. I take my two grandchildren (ages 7 & Cool occasionally, but they rarely ask me for a ride, so I'm a little jealous that your son is so enthusiastic. In fact, in my family, I am the only one interested in the scooter at all. This completely baffles me as riding the scooter is a joy for me.
I had the same questions about children passengers that you have. In Minnesota, I believe the passenger (child or adult) must be able to rest their feet on the foot supports. If they can do that, they are old/big enough. (My grandson could not do that and I still took him very slowly around the neighborhood. He held on appropriately)
I would slowly introduce your son to the whole scooter experience, on safe, fairly slow, quiet roads. Sounds to me like you are plenty cautious and are dressing the child appropriately, etc. I think you're lucky to have a son who shares an interest.
ucandoit

2008 buddy 125

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about my previous post error. The grandchildren are 7 and 8 yrs. old. Not sure how I hit the happy button.
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

1969 Vespa Rally 180 among others

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kids started riding younger than 7. I would just wedge them between the backrest and my back on my Vespa so they really couldn't move.
Dooglas

Buddy 125, GTS300, Typhoon 125

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Oregon a passenger has to be able to reach the passenger foot pegs to be legal. I know there are also some riding belts, foot loops, and the like available for child riders, but do not know if they meet legal requirements. This is a very personal question and I hesitate to advise someone else given what is at stake. If other requirements are meet, I'd have the same advice I have for myself - good helmet, eye protection, gloves, ankle high boots, sturdy pants, etc.
RoaringTodd

'04 Stella GB150 '15 Roughhouse '17 Versys 650.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strapped a baby carrier to the passenger seat for the ride home from the hospital.
sc00ter

19 Piaggio Liberty S, 98 Zuma

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the passenger can touch the floor or pegs (I have the passenger flip out pegs from my old Buddy still) all is good. Let me make one suggestion-look into a Grip N Ride belt. My wife will not ride on the back of any 2 wheeler without me wearing one. Great confidence booster for passengers.
Mr.FixIt

Stella 2T

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Pennsylvania, I think I found the answer finally. It helped to join the AMA and get access to some handy information.

Footpegs / floorboards must exist for a passenger, but it doesn't say they have to be able to reach them. Adventure HO!

Pennsylvania Passenger Age Restriction: None

https://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/LI/CT/HTM/75/00.035.024.000..HTM
ยง 3524. Footrests and handhold.
Any motorcycle carrying a passenger, other than in a sidecar or enclosed cab, shall be equipped with footrests and handhold for the passenger.
(Dec. 9, 2002, P.L.1278, No.152, eff. 60 days)

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

2 - many

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep in mind kids can fall asleep anywhere anytime!

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

Jump to: