Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gonna check out a used 2013 Blur 220i

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » Blur Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
oruacat2

Rattler 110

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject: Gonna check out a used 2013 Blur 220i Reply with quote

The dealer is closed for the holidays, so I won't get any response email until next week, but I inquired about a used 2013 Genuine Blur 220i, color white, supposedly "garage-kept" by "an experienced owner", fully serviced, and with new tires, for $1995. No idea (yet) how many miles on the odometer, but I asked in the email I sent them. Other than mileage, any other Blur-specific questions I should ask before driving to this dealership for an in-person look?

Thanks in advance.

At Edit: Got a reply: "19436 miles with all services up to date and new tires. Parts are plentiful and we are happy to service this bike in perpetuity."

Is that low miles for a 5-year-old scooter? I know it's very low miles for a car/truck, but what about for a bike?

KD
babblefish

2006 Blur 180, 2008 Buddy St. Tropez

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lot of miles for a 2013, IMO. My 2006 Blur has about 23K and the engine has been rebuilt once. My 2008 Buddy has about 12K miles. See if you can get it for $1,800 or less.
oruacat2

Rattler 110

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response - I really have no clue as to the lifespan of a scooter. If it makes any difference, it's being sold by a dealer with a pretty solid reputation.
babblefish

2006 Blur 180, 2008 Buddy St. Tropez

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lifespan of a scooter or any other mechanical device is highly dependent upon how it was cared for by an owner or previous owner so it's pretty hard to judge the mechanical condition of the Blur you want to buy. Near 20K miles on a 2013 scooter is generally considered a little high but PGO is known for making high quality scooters so you have at least that. I would still try and negotiate a lower price based upon the mileage though.
oruacat2

Rattler 110

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got a second reply (I emailed and messaged them via FaceBook, so this is from the other owner/manager):

Yes it's still available, and yes it's very clean. I'm not at the shop right now, but as memory serves it's just over 20,000 miles. It's totally up to date on service, including new front and rear tires, valves checked and spark plug replaced. CVT has been inspected and does not need a belt, roller weights, or variator sliders. Also new engine oil, gear oil, and brake fluid front and back. There is a blemish on the rear grab rail likely from a tail pack being strapped in place. Considerably less wear and tear than I would expect from any used scooter.

Thanks for your interest.

We'll be out of the shop until Wednesday, January 2nd, but I'd be happy to meet you at the shop if you'd like to see the Blur before then. I'll respond to any further emails as soon as I can.
scootergrind

2011 SS Blur 220i

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest doing a compression check; if it's okay, then dicker on a lower price.
oruacat2

Rattler 110

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Regarding that asking price Reply with quote

Looking at the rest of their website, it says that all their listed prices include tax, title, license, etc, but I think I might still offer them something like $1600 cash, which is what I have saved up for a future vacation. Good idea or bad?
Stanza

Puch Maxi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be extremely wary of buying a bike that has been out of production for several years, especially with that high a mileage. Even if it's running well currently, how much of the drivetrain is near to worn out? Can they provide a complete service history? Can they guarantee in writing that they'll be able to service it for you "in perpetuity"? (that's a bold claim)

Not too much in terms of 220 specific questions. That being said:

belt status. The belt for the 220 is expensive, and not shared with any other models that I'm aware of. How recently was it replaced?

Fuel pump, ever replaced? That's another expensive one.

Don't get me wrong, the 220 is definitely a fun bike, and they can be very reliable. But I tend to err on the side of extreme caution unless I know the complete backstory on a bike.
Dooglas

Buddy 125, GTS300, Typhoon 125

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanza wrote:
Can they guarantee in writing that they'll be able to service it for you "in perpetuity"? (that's a bold claim)

Indeed. Can anyone really guarantee that about any vehicle?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » Blur Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

Jump to: