Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What made me faster?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
Argee

Buddy 170i

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject: What made me faster? Reply with quote

I just swapped the crappy stock tire that went bald in 5500 miles with the Kenda 130/70-10. It fit well on the 170i, the mud fender is just a bit tight on the left side. A little blowtorch and oomph fixed it.

Anyway, while I had the pipe off I decided to match the horribly restricted transition. I took a grinder to it for a half an hour and finished blending-in from a Dremel sanding drum.

First ride is surprising. I certainly felt and expected the better turning grip, the extra width really improves the handling. The surprise was that I hit 72 BMPH. The best I have ever done before that was about 69. I checked to make sure, there was no wind assisting me.

Was it the slightly larger tire (1 mm increased radius), or the better flowing exhaust?
wheelbender6

Genuine Buddy 125

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. Can you provide a pic of the exhaust mod? I'm not sure if you modified the pipe flange or the exhaust port. I think the tire made the most difference in your speed increase.
Argee

Buddy 170i

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:19 am    Post subject: exhaust pipe mod pic, Buddy 170i Reply with quote

It was the pipe I opened up, to match the gasket.
Argee

Buddy 170i

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:22 am    Post subject: Stock exhaust pipe Reply with quote

Here's the stock exhaust pipe. When I took it off, I forgot to mention that only one header bolt was attached. It looks like they shipped it that way, the naked bolt had no thread scratches, like it was brand new. Another high-quality Buddy product...
Dooglas

Buddy 125, GTS300, Typhoon 125

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What made me faster? Reply with quote

Argee wrote:
I just swapped the crappy stock tire that went bald in 5500 miles with the Kenda 130/70-10.

I agree that the stock tire on the Buddy is nothing special - I use Continental Zippys. You will find, however, that any rear tire wears fairly quickly on a 10" wheel. 5,500 miles is not really bad, and certainly not unusual.
Stanza

Puch Maxi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How'd you go 5,500 miles with only one exhaust bolt? I'd have through it would make a serious racket. And the exhaust has never been off before, to get at the rear wheel/brakes?
Argee

Buddy 170i

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:10 am    Post subject: One exhaust bolt = just lucky Reply with quote

I think the crush gasket did its job. I never heard any exhaust leak, nor did I notice a power loss. Maybe it slowly fell off and I didn't notice, but like I said, the bolt shows no scratches whatsoever. Well, now it does.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

Jump to: