Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheap Alternative to OEM Ignition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
buddys_n_blasters

Buddy 50

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Cheap Alternative to OEM Ignition Reply with quote

Bought a scoot but it needed a new ignition. I didn't want to pay the 100 or so bucks for a new OEM part, so I looked around and found this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074X4VCNL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fits the buddy perfectly (at least my buddy 50), only issue is the steering lock is a little long. To fix that just take the steering lock pin out of your old broken ignition and fit it into this one.

The seat latch cable also took a little bit of adjusting (i had to tighten the spring in the latch under the seat, talked about this in a different post), but in the end it worked out and saved 80 bucks. Not bad!

(Check message below for clarification on the wiring situation)

Last edited by buddys_n_blasters on Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
tenders

Buddy International 50 Italia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I”m not in the market for a new ignition, but that is cool. Does it have a compatible seat release mechanism too?
buddys_n_blasters

Buddy 50

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenders wrote:
I”m not in the market for a new ignition, but that is cool. Does it have a compatible seat release mechanism too?

Yep, it works. The latch uses a regular cable, and this one has a place for the cable head to fit and the internals to pull it when you turn the key counterclockwise. It pulls a little bit less distance, so I had to tighten up the spring in the seat latch to compensate, but it definitely works now Smile
djrocker1007

Buddy 50

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Aftermarket ignition switch Reply with quote

Thanks for the post! I bought the same aftermarket ignition switch but the plug is different and the wires are different colors. Did you have to rewire the original plug on the one you bought?

Thanks!
buddys_n_blasters

Buddy 50

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket ignition switch Reply with quote

djrocker1007 wrote:
Thanks for the post! I bought the same aftermarket ignition switch but the plug is different and the wires are different colors. Did you have to rewire the original plug on the one you bought?

Thanks!

Yes that's true, I totally forgot about that part! So to get around that I did the following:

1) Remove the stock ignition - self explanatory

2) Take off the white plastic plug from the stock ignition - Remove the wires from the white plastic plug on both the stock ignition AND the amazon one I linked. You have to get in there with a tiny screwdriver, depress the copper barb that keeps it in place, and pull.

3) Put new wires into old plug - Stick the now-plugless wires from the amazon ignition into the stock plug. Unfortunately I forget the exact positions and color codes and i have the bike closed so i cant take a pic. You can figure it out using a continuity check from a multimeter, just match everything up as best you can - key in the on position should make the wires closest to the clasp beep, I remember that much. You'll notice there's a 4th wire with a round tip that doesn't fit. Next step addresses that. If you have any trouble here let me know i can try a little harder to remember.

4) Replace the wire with the round metal tip with a compatible metal tip from the old - Cut the compatible metal tip off of one of the stock wires, leave some extra wire, you'll need it. Cut the round tip off of the 4th wire and splice the compatible end onto it.

After that you should be all set! Let me know how it goes for you!
djrocker1007

Buddy 50

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Wiring Reply with quote

These are the colors I have on the new switch vs. the original plug. I cut the wires and was going to solder/heat shrink them. When I hooked it up as pictured, it blew the fuse. Thanks again for the assistance.
buddys_n_blasters

Buddy 50

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about the fuse. If i had to guess I'd say the black wire on the left should take the place of the orange wire on the right. Doing a continuity check with a multimeter and matching outcomes is the only way to be 100% sure.
djrocker1007

Buddy 50

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:24 pm    Post subject: Wiring Reply with quote

That did the trick! Thanks Bud!
estifallen

Buddy 50

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 3:06 am    Post subject: Re-Installing the regular ignition switch? Reply with quote

Hey all, I think that I may be a bit more faint hearted than you guys. I tried to install this ignition switch and all was going well and I got the seat wire hooked up etc. but then I just had no idea how to get the four wires set up properly.

I created a chart and there were 24 possible combinations for how to wire the ignition. I was working my way through the chart and testing each combination and trying to get the scooter to start with no luck, but I think that's just because at some point along the way I blew the fuse and even if I had gotten the right combination at some point, there was no current passing through the wires.

The fuse also may have just blown when I disconnected the original ignition...I am not really sure how this system works.

I bought a box of new fuses from O'Reilly's today.

At this point, I do not have any ignition wires of any kind hooked up and I noticed that when I went to hook up a new fuse, it blew immediately.

I have now ordered the OEM ignition switch, thinking that it might be easier to just plug in the original part...but I am curious if anyone out there might be able to offer some advise on the fuse situation?

These are my questions:
1) What is the best fuse to use -- Amps / Volts ?
2) When should I plug in the fuse -- before/after hooking up the ignition?
3) Are there any other considerations to keep in mind?

I would be grateful for any advice or input, thanks you guys!
estifallen

Buddy 50

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Re-Installing the regular ignition switch? Reply with quote

estifallen wrote:
Hey all, I think that I may be a bit more faint hearted than you guys. I tried to install this ignition switch and all was going well and I got the seat wire hooked up etc. but then I just had no idea how to get the four wires set up properly.

I created a chart and there were 24 possible combinations for how to wire the ignition. I was working my way through the chart and testing each combination and trying to get the scooter to start with no luck, but I think that's just because at some point along the way I blew the fuse and even if I had gotten the right combination at some point, there was no current passing through the wires.

The fuse also may have just blown when I disconnected the original ignition...I am not really sure how this system works.

I bought a box of new fuses from O'Reilly's today.

At this point, I do not have any ignition wires of any kind hooked up and I noticed that when I went to hook up a new fuse, it blew immediately.

I have now ordered the OEM ignition switch, thinking that it might be easier to just plug in the original part...but I am curious if anyone out there might be able to offer some advise on the fuse situation?

These are my questions:
1) What is the best fuse to use -- Amps / Volts ?
2) When should I plug in the fuse -- before/after hooking up the ignition?
3) Are there any other considerations to keep in mind?

I would be grateful for any advice or input, thanks you guys!

Okay, now I'm feeling like an idiot -- for some reason when I originally pulled up this thread, I never saw the photos that you guys posted showing how things should be wired! I do not know why those did not load.

I am still not certain the fuse issue, but hopefully that will just work out okay once I set things up with the new ignition switch.

Dang, if only I had seen those pics initially this probably would've worked beautifully!

Not sure if anyone is still looking at this thread, but I'll post an update after installing the new (OEM) ignition in case there is any helpful info after completing that job.
JettaKnight

Series Italia 161

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Re-Installing the regular ignition switch? Reply with quote

estifallen wrote:

Okay, now I'm feeling like an idiot -- for some reason when I originally pulled up this thread, I never saw the photos that you guys posted showing how things should be wired! I do not know why those did not load.

You weren't logged in. I'm pretty sure images are only available to logged in users.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

Jump to: