Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ethanol-free fuel with a Buddy 125

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  

Do you use ethanol-free fuel with your Buddy 125?
Yes, religiously
21%
 21%  [ 4 ]
Yes, but only if it's convenient
21%
 21%  [ 4 ]
No
57%
 57%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 19

soup

2007 Buddy 125 - prof. upgraded to 162cc

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Ethanol-free fuel with a Buddy 125 Reply with quote

I have a 2007 Buddy 125 that has been professionally upgraded to a 162cc. The previous owner advised that I use ethanol-free fuel. This has been more challenging than I thought, because I have yet to find a gas station near me with ethanol-free fuel.

I'm interested in your experiences. Are there times where you just can't find ethanol-free fuel and you just settle for ethanol for that particular instance? How badly has this affected the scooter? Any other advice?
youkiddin

09 stella

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe this will be of use finding the fuel https://www.pure-gas.org/ the best way of dealing with fuel is to ride the bike alot
soup

2007 Buddy 125 - prof. upgraded to 162cc

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

youkiddin wrote:
maybe this will be of use finding the fuel https://www.pure-gas.org/ the best way of dealing with fuel is to ride the bike alot

Yeah, I tried pure-gas, but thanks. Are you saying that the primary issue is if the ethanol gas sits in the scooter for a while? So if I use it up quickly, then it may be less of an issue?
tenders

Buddy International 50 Italia

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve used StaBil for 20 years in 100% of the gas I use in small carbureted engines and have never had an ethanol problem. Highly seasonal use, all had ethanol, oldest gas was 15 months old, exhaust smelled a little dank but ran well enough.

Gas stored in jerrycans gets used in a car after about 6 months to avoid tempting fate.

I’m against ethanol due to its lower energy density and its higher care requirement, but it has not actually messed up any of my engines...yet.
Dooglas

Buddy 125, GTS300, Typhoon 125

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Buddy runs fine with 10% ethanol fuel. I do, however, make a point of filling with ethanol free fuel when
the scooter will not be used for an extended period. There is no doubt that ethanol free fuel stores better.
fried okra

Scarabeo

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using ethanol free fuel in my new Buddy primarily because the ethanol fuel has a higher moisture content and I don't want rust starting in the metal fuel tank of the Buddy.

On my Aprilia scooters, have plastic fuel tanks, and require high octane fuel I typically use 93 octane ethanol fuel unless I can get 93 octane ethanol free fuel which is occasionally available.

fried okra
Point37

'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i put a little seafoam in every tank
New2Scoots

Genuine Buddy 170i

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally despise ethanol because it ruined my lawn mower, weed eater & hedge trimmer. It makes less power than pure gas, raises fuel consumption, corrosion & costs. And here'w why we will NEVER get rid of it. The Iowa Caucus. Both political parties want to win votes of corn farmers. Corn farmers & their lobbyists LOVE ethanol. It's money. A President who promises to ban ethanol likely won't be elected or reelected. Corn farmers have us by the b**ls. They own us unless we're on electric vehicles. Lots of other reasons to ban ethanol too but that's a long story for another day. Anyway the nearest real gas to me was about 100 miles away, now there's a new place about 20 miles away & I'll soon be going there. Oh, just got a new motorcycle Tuesday, not putting corn in it. I want this to last.
2014 Honda NC700XE

fried okra

Scarabeo

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New2Scoots.....my feelings exactly.

fried okra
scootERIK

Buddy 125

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Buddy 125 carb with over 50,000 miles on it and I run gas with ethanol 99% of the time and it is still in great shape. For me it isn't worth the $0.60-$1.00 extra a gallon to buy ethanol free gas.
OBX Dan

2016 Roughhouse Sport

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point37 wrote:
i put a little seafoam in every tank

I don't use it every tank but maybe every month or so. When the scoot is going to be idle for awhile I'll run some through before shutting her down.
sc00ter

19 Piaggio Liberty S, 98 Zuma

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im with Dooglas. 10% ethanol is fine, ethanol free if your letting it sit for extended periods.
Trixyshrimp101

Buddy 50. Roughhouse50. KLR250

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a roughhouse50 and a Kawasaki 250klr enduro bike Cool and only run ethanol free in both. I bought them both used and am convinced that they both run better with the ethanol free fuel after a time especially the 2 stroke genuine roughhouse50. (And it is cheaper than 93octane!!!) You can google gas stations near you and call them and ask if they have ethanol free or REC 90 while you sit your lazy butt on the couch from home. I am in florida and I know of 4 gas stations within a reasonable distance from me on my scooter that have REC 90 (ethanol free) you may have passed right by a gas pump that said REC 90 and not known what it meant but now you do Very Happy Wink also it may be at its own separate pump from the rest of the gas so look around at the gas station at all the pumps. it may require a little rubbernecking to find it at first. But it's worth it. Especially for 2 strokes

Ethanol free gasoline=REC 90
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

Jump to: