Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buddy 125 Rear Shock Options

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
mnika

Buddy 125

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:36 am    Post subject: Buddy 125 Rear Shock Options Reply with quote

Hi Everyone, new user here! I bought a lightly used 2007 Buddy about a month ago and have been really enjoying the experience! And this forum has been an amazing resource thus far.

I live in NYC and the roads are bumpy to say the least. Ive been finding that the stock suspension leaves a lot to be desired. Going over even small pot holes or manhole covers is pretty jarring. Things get worse when I have a passenger on board.

I've read a lot of older threads on this topic, and see that YSS shocks were often recommended as a less expensive option than the NCY upgrade. Unfortunately, I don't think the Buddy-specific YSS shocks are available any more.

Does anyone here have experience upgrading their suspension with something other than the NCY shock? I've seen other companies like Yassau, Fastace, etc that *might* fit, have good user reviews, and are about half the price.

Thank you for any advice in advance!
Stanza

Puch Maxi, Honda C70

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be a common theme with the "upgraded" shocks, that they tend to stiffen the ride. Are you getting jarred because the stock setup is bottoming out? If so, then def look into the NCY front forks for starters. But if it's not bottoming out, and it's already stiff enough to rattle your teeth, then stiffer springs may only make things worse.
mnika

Buddy 125

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm mostly interested in being able to adjust the preload so that when I have a passenger, the ride is smoother. The rear shock is very compressed if I have a passenger and doesn't have much travel for bumps/terrain. And when I'm riding by myself, it seems like the ride is too soft or spongey with the stock shock. The bike seems to overreact when I hit even a small bump, if that makes sense. I don't necessarily want the ride to be stiff, just "better," haha.
babblefish

2006 Blur 180, 2008 Buddy St. Tropez

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mnika wrote:
I'm mostly interested in being able to adjust the preload so that when I have a passenger, the ride is smoother. The rear shock is very compressed if I have a passenger and doesn't have much travel for bumps/terrain. And when I'm riding by myself, it seems like the ride is too soft or spongey with the stock shock. The bike seems to overreact when I hit even a small bump, if that makes sense. I don't necessarily want the ride to be stiff, just "better," haha.

I had the exact same issue with my Buddy 150. I'm not a large guy but whenever I sat on the scooter the rear shock would just about be completely compressed. I felt every bump, pothole, pebble, and bug on the road. Along with the overly soft spring, there was no dampening to speak of so my scooter handled like a pogostick. To fix it I replaced the rear shock with a YSS meant for a Kymco People 50. The fit is tight but it works great. If you're interested, you can read about it here: http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic30354.html.
The ride is definitely firmer but the handling is far, far better. I'm used to riding sport bikes so the firm ride is no problem.

DeeDee

buddy 170i

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an adjustable 280mm Forsa. Great shock, made in Taiwan. https://www.ebay.com/itm/GY6-FORSA-Performance-Racing-Shock-Ajustable-50cc-49cc-Nitrogen-charged/322690565759?epid=2084903231&hash=item4b21db467f:g:JvQAAOSwopRYhWkf
skully93

currently 09 Buddy Italia, Honda CTX700DCT

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeeDee wrote:
Here is an adjustable 280mm Forsa. Great shock, made in Taiwan. https://www.ebay.com/itm/GY6-FORSA-Performance-Racing-Shock-Ajustable-50cc-49cc-Nitrogen-charged/322690565759?epid=2084903231&hash=item4b21db467f:g:JvQAAOSwopRYhWkf

Is that the one you had on your 170i?

I might eventually spring for it, pun intended. I think my front forks can be rebuilt, but the shock has been ridden hard for 14k miles with a lot of load.

Buddy 125

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeeDee wrote:

Thank you for the link! How easy is it to adjust the preload on this shock? Is it something I could easily change before riding with a passenger? I assume I would need the right size spanner wrench?
DeeDee

buddy 170i

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genuine uses a Forsa on the 170i, but it is not this one. The stock 170i shock has no adjustment. This is a much better shock. It comes with a wrench to change the load settings. It is fairly easy to do once it is on the scooter. 280mm is 11" long. That's a lot of travel. This shock would be a good upgrade for a stock 125 or 150. I doubt you would need to change the setting on this once you get it set for two-up. My last two big bikes were adjusted for two riders. I didn't have a problem when I was on my own.
mnika

Buddy 125

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeeDee wrote:
Genuine uses a Forsa on the 170i, but it is not this one. The stock 170i shock has no adjustment. This is a much better shock. It comes with a wrench to change the load settings. It is fairly easy to do once it is on the scooter. 280mm is 11" long. That's a lot of travel. This shock would be a good upgrade for a stock 125 or 150. I doubt you would need to change the setting on this once you get it set for two-up. My last two big bikes were adjusted for two riders. I didn't have a problem when I was on my own.

DeeDee, I ended up purchasing the shock and have installed it on my bike. Fits perfectly, performance seems improved! However, it didn't come with the spanner wrench needed to adjust preload. Any idea on what size spanner I need? Thanks!
DeeDee

buddy 170i

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks about the wrench. You can use a big pair of chanel locks. They usually come preset to the softest setting. If you're having trouble changing the adjustment on the bike, pull it off to do it.
Stanza

Puch Maxi, Honda C70

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flathead screwdriver, rubber mallet, gentle taps to rotate. Put a piece of cloth over the screwdriver if paintwork is important to you.
mnika

Buddy 125

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have channel locks so I'll give those a go! But the screw driver and mallet idea seems solid too.

It looks like there's two rings at the bottom of the shock. I assume one is essentially a locking ring?
Stanza

Puch Maxi, Honda C70

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mnika wrote:
I have channel locks so I'll give those a go! But the screw driver and mallet idea seems solid too.

It looks like there's two rings at the bottom of the shock. I assume one is essentially a locking ring?

Exactly. So you tighten the top ring to where you'd like the preload set, and then you tap the lower ring till it locks in and secures the top ring.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

Jump to: