Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yes Virginia, there is an Electric Genuine scooter!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:03 am    Post subject: Yes Virginia, there is an Electric Genuine scooter! Reply with quote

Meet Niu!
Beep. Beep.
Mr.FixIt

Stella 2T

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if they will be importing all three models? The NGT holds two batteries for a max estimated 80 mile range. That's JUST what I would need to make my farthest normal trip. I'd have to plug in before making the return trip.

The styling isn't too future-funky. It has simple clean lines. I wonder how much cheaper it will be than a Retrospective electric conversion kit for a PX / Stella?

Here's the big question to draw in the cycle newbies. Will it be considered less than 50cc equivalent so you wouldn't need a M-class endorsement on your driver's license? My wife could operate this if this was so.

scootERIK

Buddy 125

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.FixIt wrote:
I wonder if they will be importing all three models? The NGT holds two batteries for a max estimated 80 mile range. That's JUST what I would need to make my farthest normal trip. I'd have to plug in before making the return trip.

The styling isn't too future-funky. It has simple clean lines. I wonder how much cheaper it will be than a Retrospective electric conversion kit for a PX / Stella?

Here's the big question to draw in the cycle newbies. Will it be considered less than 50cc equivalent so you wouldn't need a M-class endorsement on your driver's license? My wife could operate this if this was so.

Genuine had two models at Amerivespa, the M+ and I think the other one the N-Series. If I remember right they were both set to go ~30mph so they would be considered 50cc or smaller. But it has been a while so I could be wrong.

If you need ~80 miles to make your longest trip you might not make it on the NGT. If you go down the page a little there is a distance calculator. To go 80 miles you have to run in E-SAVE mode, weigh 150 pounds(or less,) and the temperature has to be around 80 degrees. If you want to be able to hit the 45 mph top speed you have to put it in SPORT mode and the range drops to 35 miles. I can't seem to find how fast the scooter goes in E-SAVE but it could be really slow, like 25 mph or less.

I wish I would have gotten a chance to take them out for a ride.

Here is a picture of the two they had at Amerivespa-
babblefish

2006 Blur 180, 2008 Buddy St. Tropez

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like they're not ready for prime time, at least not in my book.
Mr.FixIt

Stella 2T

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I test drove the ZERO line of electric motorcycles about 10 years ago. The torque off the line is great. This is why they give the ECO modes, so you don't waste your battery charge pulling out at every stop light.

While the technology is probably not for everyone's riding needs, it certainly fills for others. The low maintenance requirements and cleanliness over a 2 stroke are a nice plus as well. Don't get me wrong I love my infernal combustion engines, but as an electrical engineer with a short commute there's just a lot of attractive features to going electric.

The drive-train technology seems mature enough for me. Its a matter of the batteries being the weakest link in their ability to store sufficient energy. That's the limiting factor. I understand the NGT has regenerative braking. That's a nice feature. Most EV's at this size are still brushless DC motors. An AC motor at this size with the cost of the Variable Frequency Drive (like a Tesla car) is just cost prohibitive at these small sizes. The efficiency goes up with AC motors, but so does the complexity.

If there's a nearby dealer that has one in the future, I will certainly take it for a test ride.

Dooglas

Buddy 125, GTS300, Typhoon 125

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scootERIK wrote:
Genuine had two models at Amerivespa, the M+ and I think the other one the N-Series. If I remember right they were both set to go ~30mph so they would be considered 50cc or smaller. But it has been a while so I could be wrong.

Talking to my local dealer, my understanding is that one model is set up for 30 mph and the other about 40-45 mph. Range somewhat depends on the performance mode selected. I am looking forward to test driving one when they arrive.
Point37

'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems nice for just cruising around town for errands or short commutes and i like the idea of electric torque, less maintenance and quiet
k1dude

'08 Orange Buddy 125

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should mention people with electric cars in California have not been happy during the PG&E multi day outages. Hybrids had no problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

Jump to: