Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Front brake shuddering

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » Stella Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
2003stellaDave

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:06 am    Post subject: Front brake shuddering Reply with quote

When I apply the front brake the is a strong vibration/shuddering thing going on. It’s slowly been getting worse. I took the front brake pads out and cleaned them with sand paper but the issue hasn’t changed.

2003 Stella.

Any thoughts? Anyone had this problem and fixed it?

Last edited by 2003stellaDave on Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr.FixIt

Stella 2T

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the brake discs flat? Warped discs can produce this phenomenon. It seems unlikely, but what else could do it?
2003stellaDave

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The disc is fairly new - about a year or so old.
2003stellaDave

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think I’ve found the problem. I have some “play” at the front suspension link.

So...... has anyone removed the front suspension pin before? According to the Service Station Manual there is a fixture (19.1.20021) to remove the pin. Is there an easier way?
2003stellaDave

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After searching online for a while, I think this may be a problem that’s not going away anytime soon.... Mad
whereshaldo

Stella 2T 150, Honda C70

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like I may have a similar issue. Can you post a couple of the links about what you found?

Hal
2003stellaDave

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manual from Scooterhelp. Page 61 onward is useful:

https://www.scooterhelp.com/manuals/VNX1T.VSX1T.service.manual/VNX1T.VSX1T.serv.man.r.pdf

Video in Italian but very good:

https://youtu.be/Jyw9IYrFnjw

I’ve ordered some tools and parts and will post pictures here if I get a chance.
Willie B

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also check the headset bearings. This will also cause the front to shudder under braking if they're a bit lose
2003stellaDave

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willie B wrote:
You might also check the headset bearings. This will also cause the front to shudder under braking if they're a bit lose

The headset bearings seemed Ok. Right now I’m thinking it was the two bearings in the caliper holder plate. I’m going to replace those, put everything back together and see how it runs.

Now I have everything apart, the fork suspension link seems ok.
2003stellaDave

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I fixed it. It was the caliper holder plate bearings that got rusty and needed replacing. I ride all winter here in the PNW and it rains a lot. From now on I will have to check the front end every spring to clean and re-grease.

This was the first time I’ve removed the fork. The most difficult part was getting the headset off the fork - it needs to be lifted a couple of inches to clear the top of the fork tube and all the cables/wiring loom is holding it back. Putting it back together was easier.

One tool I bought that came in handy was the “Steering Head Bearing Nut” by SIP (BU5420). It allows the nuts holding on the fork to be torqued properly.

The front shock on the Stella is a great quality product but the design gets in the way if of removing the caliper. And you need to remove the caliper if you want to remove the wheel hub...... so I’m planning on saving up and buying a new shock asap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » Stella Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

Jump to: