Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

supporting your buddy while working on it

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
DENscooterguy

'07 buddy 125

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: supporting your buddy while working on it Reply with quote

new here, long time looker, but now getting to posting. Since the pandemic, my Buddy 125 will be my primary way of getting downtown when I'm able to get back to my office. it needs some work. speedometer and odometer is not spinning (needs new cable most likely), new tires. oil change, gear oil, brakes.

i work on my car alot, so this does not intimidate me at all and I have the tools too. but when working on the front end, how would you support it? my car jack stands are not going to work. thank you all again. hope to hear from you soon.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I think I would just give this old thread a quick read before launching into a lot of involved work.
JettaKnight

Series Italia 161

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the work you describe can easily be done on the centerstand.

If you need to, add weight to the back to tip it up. If the gas tank is full it won't take too much.
DeeDee

buddy 170i

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you plan on pulling your front wheel, you probably want to support the scooter. I use an 1100 lb mini lift, but I work on a lot of scooters. Before I bought the lift, I would use a square milk crate or empty 3 gallon bucket to hold the front of the scooter up.
DENscooterguy

'07 buddy 125

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool thank you all ! they all seem like good suggestions.
tenders

Buddy International 50 Italia

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an inexpensive motorcycle scissor lift soon after acquiring my first scooter. I discovered that it does not work particularly well with scooters' underbelly shape or weight distribution, and is not worth the garage space.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-capacity-atvmotorcycle-lift-60536.html

(anybody in the NY area want it?)
babblefish

2006 Blur 180, 2008 Buddy St. Tropez

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I've taken the front wheel off of my Buddy to change the tire while the Buddy was on it's center stand with no issues. The rear end of the scooter is naturally heavier than the front so the front stays in the air but to be sure I put a little weight on the rear rack.

And as far as your speedometer not working, the first thing I would check is to make sure the speedometer cable that goes from the front wheel to the speedometer is still connected correctly on the bottom of the speedometer. People have had this cable fall off or someone has installed it wrong where the center cable was not fully engaged in the hole of the speedometer. It's a square hole to match the square stub at the end of the speedo cable.

Point37

'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

had 1 of these for my yamaha tw200 but it only has a 300lb capacity...the nice thing was i could jack the bike up high...had to ride up a thick board to get the clearance to slide it under

https://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Motocross-Lift-Red

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

Jump to: