Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scooter stalls when stopped after 30 minutes of driving

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
ItalianBoy

Buddy 125 Italia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Scooter stalls when stopped after 30 minutes of driving Reply with quote

Hey all, I could use a little help.

I have a 2006 125 Buddy that I had let sit over a couple winters with bad gas. Rather than doing a full rebuild of the carb, I opted to just purchase a new "Genuine Buddy 125 Stock Carburetor w/adjustable mix" from Scooterworks.

Everything is installed, and it runs great...for about 30 minutes. After that when I stop at a light the scooter will stall out and die. Sometimes it will immediately restart, other times it may require a small wait.

I have tested the vacuum petcock and it seems to be functioning. Does anyone else have any ideas? This is rather frustrating.
scootERIK

Buddy 125

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be the stator.
tenders

Buddy International 50 Italia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When were the valves last adjusted? Difficult warm starts are a hallmark symptom of the need for an adjustment.

Is the idle speed (the adjustment on the carb with a thumbwheel) simply set a little too low for current temperature conditions?

Stator: deep into the second order list of symptoms. Easy to troubleshoot with a 12V voltmeter/USB accessory plugged into the lighter jack.
ItalianBoy

Buddy 125 Italia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) I don't think ever
2) I adjusted it up a little. My understanding is that you turn it up just to the point that the rear wheel is turning on its own and stop
3) I can Google, but is there a recommended video explaining this? I have a voltmeter

tenders wrote:
When were the valves last adjusted? Difficult warm starts are a hallmark symptom of the need for an adjustment.

Is the idle speed (the adjustment on the carb with a thumbwheel) simply set a little too low for current temperature conditions?

Stator: deep into the second order list of symptoms. Easy to troubleshoot with a 12V voltmeter/USB accessory plugged into the lighter jack.
tenders

Buddy International 50 Italia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monitor the voltage to make sure it's reasonably steady over a range of RPMs with the engine cold and warm, and that it's between about 12.5-12.8V and 14.1V.
Stanza

Puch Maxi, Roughhouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a common tell for a stator (or rather the pickup coil) being out of spec, and due for replacement. Happens now and again with all bikes. Bet money a new stator will fix the problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

Jump to: