Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

lithium battery charging ( help )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
yel-mel

Buddy 50

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:36 am    Post subject: lithium battery charging ( help ) Reply with quote

I have a almost new lithium battery in my Buddy 50.
I left the key on overnight and it went dead.

How do I charge it. I have a battery tender but was told not to use on a lithium..
I can foot start it......will running the engine charge the lithium.
babblefish

2006 Blur 180, 2008 Buddy St. Tropez

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting the engine would normally charge the battery, if you ride it long enough. The problem is though, lithium batteries don't like to be totally discharged. There's a high chance that your battery won't charge again, even with an approved lithium charger. Doesn't hurt to try though.
sc00ter

19 Piaggio Liberty S, 98 Zuma

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some lithium batteries have a "safety" built in to avoid a total discharge. Electric bicycles, lawn equipment, you phone. But I've seen some cheap lithium batteries for motorcycles not recover from a complete discharge. Get the proper charger for your lithium battery and charge it on the slowest setting possible. Hope it recovers!
olhogrider

Royal Alloy 150

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battery Tender Brand has a lithium charger. I had a similar situation where the lithium battery was dead and my lithium charger wouldn't touch it. So much for "smart" chargers. What I did was connect an old AGM battery to the lithium and hope some electrons transferred. They did! It was just battery to battery, plus to plus, minus to minus. Any car or bike battery would have the same effect. After sitting all night there was enough voltage to allow the smart charger to do its thing. It has been holding 13+ volts ever since.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

Jump to: