Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speedometer wire?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
BennyBen

Genuine Buddy 50 (PGO Metro 50)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:14 am    Post subject: Speedometer wire? Reply with quote

Hi there
This afternoon I’ve tried changing my headlight bulb. I was able to open the handle bar cover, then detach the speedometer wire. Unfortunately the led bulb from amazon wasn’t compatible. It didn’t fit in the hole. My problem is where I’ve tried to reattach the speedometer wire. It is so tight it was really hard to put it back. It must have took over 2 hours.
Do you guys have any tips?
I have a buddy 50.
loganx4

2015 Buddy 125

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone with small hands or a long pair of needle nose. I have my kid help me with mine once I get it started since she has small hands.
eggsalad

Buddy 150 International St. Tropez

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 tips.

Tip #1 - there is a bit of slack you can pull up through the tube, maybe 20-25mm, but every little bit helps.

Tip #2 - plug in the speedometer connector. Rotate the *entire* top cover 90* clockwise. What you're aiming for is to have the part of the top cover that normally covers the master cylinder pointing straight towards the seat, although the exact angle isn't critical.

Now you use what is normally the right side of the top cover as a sleeve or tunnel through which you can pass your hand in order to access the speedometer connection - then make the connection. Rotate the top cover back to normal position and reinstall.

(side note: if you're left-handed, it might be easier to rotate the top cover 90* counter-clockwise. But I'm not left-handed, so that's just a guess.)

Thank me later Smile
BennyBen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks eggsalad i knew that there must be trick than more than some small hands and a lot of patience.
JettaKnight

2020 Royal Enfield Interceptor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disconnect it at the bottom on the wheel. Now you have all the slack you need!

BE CAREFUL - do not let the internal cable fall out of the sleeve onto the dirty ground. Tape it, wrap it in a paper towel, or hold it.

Use some blue Loctite on the top end - having that come loose after twenty miles of riding sucks.
eggsalad

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JettaKnight wrote:

BE CAREFUL - do not let the internal cable fall out of the sleeve onto the dirty ground. Tape it, wrap it in a paper towel, or hold it.

Use some blue Loctite on the top end - having that come loose after twenty miles of riding sucks.

You're way smarter than me! Wish I'd thought of that!
BennyBen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JettaKnight wrote:

I think I should have put Locktite indeed. Yesterday when I connected the deadlights I saw that the speedometer was undone. After like 2 errands. I saw also some clear oil on the floor of my shed, so it must have been undone and lost it oil. I'll see to reconnect the cable this weekend, I'll put some locktite this time. But about the oil, any recommandation? I'm reading things, that points every direction, clear oil, Moly lube, graphite...

While there I'll change the light bulb.
JettaKnight

2020 Royal Enfield Interceptor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BennyBen wrote:

I think I should have put Locktite indeed. Yesterday when I connected the deadlights I saw that the speedometer was undone. After like 2 errands. I saw also some clear oil on the floor of my shed, so it must have been undone and lost it oil. I'll see to reconnect the cable this weekend, I'll put some locktite this time. But about the oil, any recommandation? I'm reading things, that points every direction, clear oil, Moly lube, graphite...

While there I'll change the light bulb.

I think I just used some moly lube or whatever I had on hand. IIRC, it was think and black, so if you're seeing some clear oil, it could be brake fluid.
BennyBen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JettaKnight wrote:

I think I just used some moly lube or whatever I had on hand. IIRC, it was think and black, so if you're seeing some clear oil, it could be brake fluid.

Thanks I'll be careful with my brakes and see.
eggsalad

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="eggsalad"]
JettaKnight wrote:

You, sir, are an absolute genius! Tried it your way, it's as easy as pie!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

Jump to: