Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transmission oil leak Buddy 150

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
theralchico

International

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Transmission oil leak Buddy 150 Reply with quote

I have owned this 2008 Buddy Italia 150 since 200miles. I am now at 34,000+ (not a typo). I found oil all ever the trans side of the rear tire and pretty sure its a blown seal. Same thing happened about 8years ago. Used to have a great mechanic but covid shut him down so I'm thinking it is time for me learn how to do my own maintenance. I have scoured through the threads (well spent about 5 minutes) and can't find one for fixing a transmission leak. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how to get to the trans apart and find the seal.
Parts manual shows two of them which I have and a new gasket. Anyone ever replace the seals themselves? Have any guidance, maybe with pics, videos, etc.? I have a couple of motorcycle buddies with every tool I can imagine just don't know what I'm doing. I did get the outer cover off so far which I think I needed to do. Will get an impact gun for the variator and clutch. Those thinkgs do need to come off right? What next?
Dooglas

Buddy 125, Buddy Kick, Vespa GTS300

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil leak Buddy 150 Reply with quote

theralchico wrote:
I found oil all ever the trans side of the rear tire and pretty sure its a blown seal.

Sorry, couldn't help myself!
theralchico

International

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject: so I blew a seal.. Reply with quote

I had that joke in my post but removed it upon editing. Never fails to illicit a chuckle
tenders

Buddy International 50 Italia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too somehow restrained myself from making that crude comment as I had no experience to contribute.
JettaKnight

2020 Royal Enfield Interceptor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, that belt drive area is really dirty.

I suggest you look at the service manual to see how the transmission is assembled.

Was it overfilled? I haven't heard of a seal blowing out. And this is the seal on the input shaft, or what?

Wait, you said seal, and then you said gasket - which is it?
If it's the gasket, then IIRC, everything is on the other side, you need to split it open. I'm not sure you need to remove the clutch, I don't recall if there's bolts on that side.

I've only done that in a destructive manner.

Oh, and it's standard GY6 tranny, so any scooter instructional will help you.
theralchico

International

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did mean both seal and gasket. I removed the rear tire and found the bolts to remove the housing from that side, i.e. gear transmission. Doesn't look like I need to remove the clutch or variator to do it. The leak was coming from the seam between the gear transmission and the left hand/CVT cover. I did find some grease on the tire spline but I don't think it had to do with the leak as I would think my brake pads would be covered in oil. I never opened up one of these so I wasn't sure if all the dirt in the belt area was unusual or not. Any thoughts on the cause of that? The belt is in great condition.
JettaKnight

2020 Royal Enfield Interceptor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theralchico wrote:
I did mean both seal and gasket. I removed the rear tire and found the bolts to remove the housing from that side, i.e. gear transmission. Doesn't look like I need to remove the clutch or variator to do it. The leak was coming from the seam between the gear transmission and the left hand/CVT cover. I did find some grease on the tire spline but I don't think it had to do with the leak as I would think my brake pads would be covered in oil. I never opened up one of these so I wasn't sure if all the dirt in the belt area was unusual or not. Any thoughts on the cause of that? The belt is in great condition.

A lot of that is dust from the clutch. Use an air compressor to blow it out. Maybe lightly clean with soap and water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

Jump to: