Apparently there aren't any Buddy Collectors out there any longer

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

vintagegarage

Apparently there aren't any Buddy Collectors out there any longer

Post by vintagegarage »

My ad on Modern Buddy for my 2003 PGO MyBuBu received only 8 views in a week, and probably most of them were mine.. LOL. I see there is no interest in it.

Also zero interest locally from my craigslist ad..
Last edited by vintagegarage on Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
DeeDee

Re: Apparently there aren't any Buddy Collectors out there any longer

Post by DeeDee »

Either that, or your twenty year old scooter with a blown engine is overpriced.
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I've seen many a running Buddy 125 for around $500 in my area. Newer model years as well. Yes, some are on the tatty side but most people just want a scooter for cheap transportation. I bet if you Buddy was a 50cc it would actually have more interest, just because of license requirements and that some people love messing with tuned 2-strokes. Plus the Buddy is still being produced in pretty much the exact same configuration since it came to the USA doesn't make them rare.

My wife got me a complete set of BuBu badges back when I first got my black Buddy 125. I have no idea of their location because they got lost in the void (garage) but I know I still have them. I could never get the original badges off well enough to warrant trying to install the BuBu badges.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

I looked at the ad. I only collect ultra high mileage Buddies. :D
vintagegarage

Post by vintagegarage »

Thanks for everyone's replies, much appreciated. You pretty much confirmed what I suspected, that there are no Buddy collectors on Modern Buddy, and a 2003 PGO MyBuBu has no collectable value. From what I can tell, most of the Modern Buddy members have only one Buddy each and are interested in keeping it running well and driving it. I'll see if I can donate the PGO to a local Buddy dealer to put on display. They might not even want it for free.. LOL.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

One of my local scooter dealers has a program to help vets get back on their feet. Everyone needs a hand up once in awhile. The owner is a ex-vet himself and will fix up a scooter to help a fellow vet out if needed. I've seen adults cry when getting free transportation. Perhaps your local dealer does something like this?

Or a community college small engine course? They usually auction off their projects when finished.
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

Italian scooters of all brands are highly collectible. There are folks who love to collect wacky Honda scooters of the 80s. But the rest of the world thinks of scooters as disposable transportation devices.
vintagegarage

Post by vintagegarage »

Sc00ter, It is easy to find someone who wants to fix it to use it as a daily driver.. not interested in doing that.

DeeDee, let me see if my local Buddy dealer wants to put it on display in their showroom.

eggsalad, The days of folks who love to collect wacky Honda scooters are long gone.. Same for Vespas. The kids now would rather just play on their phones and all the old guys have died. Here is another ad of mine that has no replies. Also have a lot of 88-89 Honda Elite E parts with no interest, and 1984 Honda Gyro parts with no one interested in them:
https://ocala.craigslist.org/mpo/d/hold ... 54628.html
Everything is boxed up and ready to take to the dump on Tuesday. It will cost me about $20 to dump it all at the landfill..

I think I am the last wacky Honda scooter guy.. LOL:
https://youtu.be/ITYLbbigSHE
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

At least you are being honest in disclosing the engine noise in your ad. I know you would like to know the cause, I would like to hear what this noise sounds like. When my end bearing on my SYM CityCom went (on the variator side) it sounded like slow Sawzall cutting into thick wood. I could feel the end play on the variator side but the stator side was solid. Prior owner hammered it on crazy long runs halfway across the country! But the price I paid and the use I got out of it made it worth buying, but not worth fixing when it failed.
tenders

Post by tenders »

I think the first problem is that people don’t look to Craigslist for vehicles or parts anymore. Suggest listing them on Facebook Marketplace and scooter-specific sites like ADVRider and https://49ccscoot.proboards.com/.

I got my Spree fix out of my system when I sold mine in 1991 but I hear they’re very collectible, and of course the Gyro is a cult classic. There may be sites dedicated to those machines, have you looked?