Buddy Sized Tires- In Colors!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

Buddy Sized Tires- In Colors!

Post by ericalm »

Has anyone else seen these red and blue 10" tires being sold on eBay? They only have red & blue in Buddy sizes (3.5 x 10"); they have yellow and patterns (!) in other sizes. Might look good on a custom scoot, or go mod and put the blue on a new red Buddy.

I wonder if the tire color would be a pain in the butt, though, because you'd constantly have to clean your tires. $39 per tire.

Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Drumwoulf

Re: Buddy Sized Tires- In Colors!

Post by Drumwoulf »

ericalm wrote:I wonder if the tire color would be a pain in the butt, though, because you'd constantly have to clean your tires. $39 per tire.

They don't look like they're tubeless to me. And one of the things I like about the Buddy is it uses the safer tubeless tires...

drummer
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Drumwoulf wrote:They don't look like they're tubeless to me. And one of the things I like about the Buddy is it uses the safer tubeless tires...
Yeah, I'm the same way. You can put a tubed tire on the Buddy if you're so inclined. These are untested by anyone I know (or a reliable source), they're a brand I've not heard of and they cost more than most popular replacement tires (Michelins, Continentals). But I think it's an interesting idea.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Keys

Post by Keys »

I don't know if these are the same ones, but Scoot? Magazine did an article on scooter tires in the Winter 2006 issue and mentioned different colored (including camouflage) being available from a company called "Innova". Apparently, the black you see in your tires is a color that is added by introducing carbon black to the rubber mixture. The different colored tires have a higher silica content, which means you can get even more grip on slick surfaces like train tracks, man-hole covers, painted lines, etc. Higher silica content also contributes to longer wearing tires. The fact is, silica has been a little known feature of high-end tires for a long time.

Fear them not.

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
paige

Post by paige »

I heard somewhere that the colored tires, for cars, are illegal in California. Something about deposits when they wear? Just random hearsay, but doublecheck.
jess

Post by jess »

paige wrote:I heard somewhere that the colored tires, for cars, are illegal in California. Something about deposits when they wear? Just random hearsay, but doublecheck.
I think it had to do with their use in burnouts at illegal sideshows...
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Just a reminder...when you clean your tires NEVER USE A TIRE DRESSING LIKE ARMOR ALL!!!!! You need the sides to be sticky, not slick!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
bwilms

Post by bwilms »

For Clevelander's, Phil has the Innova Scooter tires in stock and up on his website - http://clevelandscooters.com/_wsn/page15.html (scroll to the bottom of the page)
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Drumwoulf wrote:They don't look like they're tubeless to me. And one of the things I like about the Buddy is it uses the safer tubeless tires...

drummer
:?: Are the stock tires tubeless? How might one tell? :oops: I'm sure I read about this somewhere, but I can't remember.
ModBud #442
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

polianarchy wrote:

drummer
:?: Are the stock tires tubeless? How might one tell? :oops: I'm sure I read about this somewhere, but I can't remember.
Yes, the stock tires on the Buddy (and most modern scoots) are tubeless.
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

These are Innova tires. I believe this seller was at Indianapolis for the Dealer Expo in 2006. I saw those types of tires, but not in those sizes.
- Bryce
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

ericalm wrote:I wonder if the tire color would be a pain in the butt, though, because you'd constantly have to clean your tires.
Clean your tires???!???

You clearly live differently out there in la-la land than we do here in Cincinnati.

I guess I already knew that.

LOL
Kevin
AYPWIP?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

lobsterman wrote:Clean your tires???!???

You clearly live differently out there in la-la land than we do here in Cincinnati.

I guess I already knew that.

LOL
I'm from Texas—I just live here. ;)
I figure if you go through the trouble of buying and mounting red tires, you'd probably want to keep them that color. These would probably look pretty crappy with black marks or streaks all over them.
pjchmiel

Post by pjchmiel »

ericalm wrote:Has anyone else seen these red and blue 10" tires being sold on eBay? They only have red & blue in Buddy sizes (3.5 x 10"); they have yellow and patterns (!) in other sizes. Might look good on a custom scoot, or go mod and put the blue on a new red Buddy.

Am I the only one who thinks the tire shown here looks like it was *painted*? Look at how inconsistent the color is on the sidewall and tread area, all of the colored tires I've ever seen looked very uniform because the color is molded into the rubber. Shouldn't the inside of the tire be the same color as the outside? I know that colored scooter tires exist (esp. in larger sizes) but this is the first I've seen of a 10" tire and these look pretty squirrely...

-Devil's Advocate PJ
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

Those particular ones do look painted. The Innova tires I've seen are black inside, but that has to do with the cording or bias ply or whatever the innards of the particular tire constructed of. The ones I've seen do look like the rubber is mostly colored throughout, though.
- Bryce
Keys

Post by Keys »

The Innova tires have the entire outer rubber colored...it is part of the rubber, just like injected plastic is all colored. The reason the interior is black is because ALL tires are an outer rubber part (which has the tread) which is then vulcanized to an inner carcass. The Innovas utilize proven scooter tire carcasses (which are black), then vulcanizes their high-silica content colored outer rubber to the carcass. Hence colored out, black in.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
pocphil
Dealer

Post by pocphil »

Color - It's all the way down to the cords - In other words the only time you'll see black is when you've worn it WAY too long.

Safety - It's a fully DOT approved tire and it has been used in Europe and Asia for years.

Traction - These tires are used EXCLUSIVELY by the Ball Of Steel Stunt Team. Routinely carrying riders on 100' long stoppies and wheelies on the polished concrete floors in arenas and convention halls. They also use them in their Steel "Ball of Death" and on their steel vertical launch ramps. I ordered these tires based on the recommendation of these guys.

http://www.ballofsteel.com/
\
History - We've been running Innova tires (black) on quite a few scooters around here for 2 years. They are a very nice compound that gives excellent grip while lasting just as long as tires twice their price.

Price - Depending on the Size and Color 3.5x10 In Red or Blue run around $45 per tire which is on par with most other tires and nearly half the price of a Continental whitewall.
Phil Waters
ClevelandMoto
Pride Of Cleveland Scooters
18636 Detroit Rd.
Lakewood, Ohio 44107
216-227-1964
www.clevelandmoto.com