quick question about CA DMV skills test

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

enzomatic

quick question about CA DMV skills test

Post by enzomatic »

do you need to make an appointment for it or just show up?
Looking for ppl to ride with in LA.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

In WA you have to make an appointment.
rayk

Re: quick question about CA DMV skills test

Post by rayk »

enzomatic wrote:do you need to make an appointment for it or just show up?
I'm pretty sure you need an appointment for the riding test. They can be made online.
dmv.ca.gov
MB #2932
Ride safe.
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

thanks all, I'm going to practice more on the course tonight.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Have you done the MSF? If you pass that you don't need to do the skills test...

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I don't think you HAVE to make an appointment, but you'll save a lot of time if you do. You can check (and make appointment) online:

http://dmv.ca.gov
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Everything's different in Florida I guess. They use the same course for motorcycles as they do for cars,
so they only have the MC skills test two days a week at certain times. As long as you're there on the right
day at the right time, you can take it. I made an appointment anyway (why not?).
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

enzomatic wrote:thanks all, I'm going to practice more on the course tonight.
You have to make an appointment. Even for cars, but they don't always have someone there that is "authorized" to do the motorcycle test.

FWIW - The best trick I figured out for doing the silly course was to twist the throttle up to about 4K RPM and just lock my wrist there then use the rear brake to control the speed. Otherwise you're in and out of the clutch and makes it hard to be smooth.
Angela

Post by Angela »

Racenut wrote:
enzomatic wrote:thanks all, I'm going to practice more on the course tonight.
You have to make an appointment. Even for cars, but they don't always have someone there that is "authorized" to do the motorcycle test.

FWIW - The best trick I figured out for doing the silly course was to twist the throttle up to about 4K RPM and just lock my wrist there then use the rear brake to control the speed. Otherwise you're in and out of the clutch and makes it hard to be smooth.
Well since the Buddy doesn't have a clutch does anyone have any advice? I've been practicing and its really hard. I cannot afford the safety course right now ($250) since I am unemployed. So I am trying to pass the test and it is soooo hard.

Any suggestions for passing on a Buddy?
Syd

Post by Syd »

KRUSTYburger wrote:...They use the same course for motorcycles as they do for cars...
Figure eights in the car must be a real pain!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

use your rear brake... which part of the test are you having the most trouble with?
Angela

Post by Angela »

MikieTaps wrote:use your rear brake... which part of the test are you having the most trouble with?
The dang circle. I can't keep my front tire in on the second round.
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

Move your butt cheek to the side of the seat inside the turn. That's the technique they suggest in the MSF classes.

BTW, make an appointment. I live around the corner from a DMV office. Those poor fools line up at the door 1 hour before it opens.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

Racenut wrote: FWIW - The best trick I figured out for doing the silly course was to twist the throttle up to about 4K RPM and just lock my wrist there then use the rear brake to control the speed. Otherwise you're in and out of the clutch and makes it hard to be smooth.
I've played around with that a bit, I really hate it when the cvt starts pulling in and making you go too fast, you drop a tad on the gas and the clutch pulls out. breaking is really the way to go. It's all about practicing the course on saturdays and watching this http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video ... st-239344/
n2tattoos

Post by n2tattoos »

pcbikedude wrote:Move your butt cheek to the side of the seat inside the turn. That's the technique they suggest in the MSF classes.

BTW, make an appointment. I live around the corner from a DMV office. Those poor fools line up at the door 1 hour before it opens.
does anyone know how long i have after taking the written test before i need to take the riding test?

perhaps a Buddy practice session is in order, Angela? i'm having a hard time on the second circle, too. perhaps two brains are better than one? i practice at the Normal St office.
Angela

Post by Angela »

n2tattoos wrote:
pcbikedude wrote:Move your butt cheek to the side of the seat inside the turn. That's the technique they suggest in the MSF classes.

does anyone know how long i have after taking the written test before i need to take the riding test?

perhaps a Buddy practice session is in order, Angela? i'm having a hard time on the second circle, too. perhaps two brains are better than one? i practice at the Normal St office.
I try to practice at Normal St but it gets crowded and Sundays they have that Farmer's Market. Chula Vista has a nice quiet DMV. Also, its flat.

PM me if you are interested in doing some practicing, Normal St is close by. I need to get my friend practicing on his Vespa as well. We both need to pass it.
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

n2tattoos wrote:[

1 year
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I'm sure it depends on where you live, but in my neck of the woods appointments were WAY out there. The 3 DMV locations near me had wait times of 2 months, 10 weeks, and 4 months. I said screw it and stood in line with everyone else.
Angela

Post by Angela »

enzomatic wrote:
n2tattoos wrote:[

1 year
Your permit is good for one year. You can take the skills test whenever. If that was what you were asking.
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

this stinks, the only time available is during work on the exact day my permit expires. I guess I'll be spending tomorrow at the dmv.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

enzomatic wrote:this stinks, the only time available is during work on the exact day my permit expires. I guess I'll be spending tomorrow at the dmv.
Did you try other DMV's? When I did mine at Watsonville, I think appointments were about a week out.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Why on earth would anyone not opt to take the MSF course instead? You come out of it a better rider, you get insurance discounts, and you don't have to take the skills portion of the M1 DMV test; a test which I have heard is tough.

Just MHO...

However, if you do reeeealy want to take the test, there are DMV produced videos of all portions of the CA DMV Riding test posted on YouTube if you'd like a preview. I found them very helpful.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:Why on earth would anyone not opt to take the MSF course instead? You come out of it a better rider, you get insurance discounts, and you don't have to take the skills portion of the M1 DMV test; a test which I have heard is tough.
I took the DMV test before MSF. Reasons: procrastination and excuses. My permit was going to expire and there were months-long summer waits to get into an MSF class. Should I have taken the MSF much earlier? Yeah. Wish I had. But when the time came I just went and got my license. I'd already violated all the restrictions of having a permit by then anyways!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Angela

Post by Angela »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:Why on earth would anyone not opt to take the MSF course instead? You come out of it a better rider, you get insurance discounts, and you don't have to take the skills portion of the M1 DMV test; a test which I have heard is tough.

Just MHO...

However, if you do reeeealy want to take the test, there are DMV produced videos of all portions of the CA DMV Riding test posted on YouTube if you'd like a preview. I found them very helpful.
Easy

MSF = $250, for you that may not be a problem. It is for many.

Me= unemployed and cannot pay many bills let alone a MSF course. I may need to sell my scooter if things do not pick up.
DanteG

Post by DanteG »

Just MHO...

SK , I live in The Great Commonwealth, where the state will pay for MSF courses (albiet with tax dollars). Not all states do.
when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

HST
gng

Passing the CA test

Post by gng »

You're right to think that it's really hard to stay in the circle. I practiced for around an hour before taking the test. My strategy was to give it gas while pulling on the brake. It takes finesse, but it's the only way to not have the darn bike speed up and boom, you're out of the lines. It's way harder than it looks, so don't be cocky and go early to practice.
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

Racenut wrote:
enzomatic wrote:this stinks, the only time available is during work on the exact day my permit expires. I guess I'll be spending tomorrow at the dmv.
Did you try other DMV's? When I did mine at Watsonville, I think appointments were about a week out.
I'll maybe try watsonville, if not I'll just extend my permit. Gotta leave for SLO the 27th too. btw what are you doing that weekend, wanna go for a ride?
omgalexvee

Post by omgalexvee »

If you don't have a drivers license already then you have to :

1) take the written test to get your permit
2) take the MSF course
3) make an appointment with the DMV to take the driving test on your scooter.

If you already have a drivers license you have to:
1) take the written test to get your permit
2) take the MSF course

and then they'll give you your license.

To take the behind the wheel test at the DMV, you have to make an appointment, but to take any written exams you can wait in line. When I went to get my permit it didn't take long without an appointment. I was there for a about an hour.

Waiting times vary by DMV. Scheduling appointments for your license may take longer depending on which DMV you choose to take it at. I would go online to their website, and see how appointment dates vary by DMV. You can make appointments for the driving test online I think. Then again, I may be wrong. Those might be the only test that you can't schedule online.

Ah! Anyway, you get the point. Go to the website and you'll figure out what you have to do.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

enzomatic wrote: I'll maybe try watsonville, if not I'll just extend my permit. Gotta leave for SLO the 27th too. btw what are you doing that weekend, wanna go for a ride?
You mean in April? 25-26?

I try to avoid planning stuff that far in advance :D So I'm not doing anything specific yet. Let me know.. where do you go for rides?
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

Racenut wrote:
enzomatic wrote: I'll maybe try watsonville, if not I'll just extend my permit. Gotta leave for SLO the 27th too. btw what are you doing that weekend, wanna go for a ride?
You mean in April? 25-26?

I try to avoid planning stuff that far in advance :D So I'm not doing anything specific yet. Let me know.. where do you go for rides?
no I mean topic9946.html this month, week from tomorrow, I have a hotel room 4 both days too, some people may be riding down hwy 1 with me. I ride all over the mountains here on weekends, i do the monthly vespa club of santa cruz ride and try to make it over for the vc of los gatos ride as well.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

Ooohhhh, when you said ride, you meant RIDE! hah.. holy cow that would be a long day.

Unfortunately or fortunately, I'm not sure which, I have a friend coming from out of town Saturday. The longest I've ever been on the seat at once is about 60 minutes.. so that would probably kill me haha.
squash1978

Post by squash1978 »

DanteG wrote:SK , I live in The Great Commonwealth, where the state will pay for MSF courses (albiet with tax dollars). Not all states do.
Yup, those of us in PA are lucky. The MSF class is subsidized by the state and is free to all residents. The nice thing about that is it encourages not just new riders but experienced riders to take the class. There was an equal mix of newbies and vets in my class. Interestingly, all of the experienced riders commented on how glad they were that they took the class. I still would have taken it if I had to pay, especially since I had never ridden on two wheels before.
Angela

Re: Passing the CA test

Post by Angela »

gng wrote:You're right to think that it's really hard to stay in the circle. I practiced for around an hour before taking the test. My strategy was to give it gas while pulling on the brake. It takes finesse, but it's the only way to not have the darn bike speed up and boom, you're out of the lines. It's way harder than it looks, so don't be cocky and go early to practice.
did you pass?

I go on weekends to practice. I am new to riding on two wheels so I am still trying to find my balance.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

Another tip for the cirle... LOOK AHEAD!!!!

If you try to watch your tire between the line, it will be nearly impossible. Look out in front of you and just keep it smooth.
Angela

Post by Angela »

Racenut wrote:Another tip for the cirle... LOOK AHEAD!!!!

If you try to watch your tire between the line, it will be nearly impossible. Look out in front of you and just keep it smooth.
I was doing that. I kept looking at my tire. Yeah, I will practice a lot this weekend with all the great suggestions.

Thanks y'all
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

hmmmmph, my foot went down. Hope I can pass next week, I tried looking ahead when I was practicing and it threw me off most of the time, I need to fix my gaze about 3 feet ahead of me in the circle and i'm golden. So right after I failed, I successfully did the course like 8 times, that's how things work. Also the rear brake thing helps.

oh and the guy said, "You seriously can't pass on <i>that</i> thing?" :cry: :cry: :cry:
Angela

Post by Angela »

enzomatic wrote: oh and the guy said, "You seriously can't pass on <i>that</i> thing?" :cry: :cry: :cry:
That sucks.

My friend passed on her Vespa.

Do you have to pay for the re test?
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

I get 2 more tries before I have to pay but more than likely I'll have to renew my permit before I can retest
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I didn't put my foot down, but I did knock over a cone and skid on the fast stop... I could blow through that course at home, but I get nervous when people are evaluating my every move. Also depends on who you get as your score-taker, I got an awesome guy who let me re-do the fast stop since I skid the first time. :D