Helmet recommendations?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

rossini

Helmet recommendations?

Post by rossini »

I am in the market for my first helmet but I am not wanting to spend $200 on one. Looking for a basic full helmet or one that has a slide up face shield. And most importantly, one that WILL fit under the seat of the Buddy 125. I don't have a very big head so I wouldn't need an oversized helmet by any means. Would like one for less than $100. Any suggestions from the resident experts?
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

New Enough dot com has great sales on helmets. linkage: http://www.newenough.com/product_group_ ... elmets.htm

Several MBs have the Icon Alliance *points to userpic* and speak well of it. My XXL fits in the Buddy underseat storage, so a smaller one should, eh?
ModBud #442
markontour

Post by markontour »

My dealer let me go through his huge books and picked out a full face, with the fliptop (don't know the technical term). The flip benefits me bigtime, because I can put on my helmet without having to take off my glasses.

I bought a M2R (Made to Race) helmet (model-901) and I love it.

Mine is a XL and fits under the seat (I have to make sure that my gloves and scarf are inside the helmet in order to close it).
Last edited by markontour on Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I have a Bell Sprint helmet. It is XL I believe, and fits under the seat on the Buddy. You can even close the seat. :)

I am quite happy with it but haven't yet tested it under really stressful conditions, if you know what I mean.

It was not under $100, but also not over $200 if I remember right. Somewhere in the middle depending on where you buy.

I would recommend you reconsider the under $100 thing for your helmet. Consider how much you spent on the scooter, and whether you will still be able to use the scooter (or anything else) if you go down and you cheaped out on the helmet. You only get one head, you've already decided to wear a helmet, get a decent one.

The Icon at newenough.com looks like a good deal to me, but I have no personal experience with the model. That website has treated me well when I have purchased from them though.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
x-mojito50mod

Post by x-mojito50mod »

I too have the Icon Alliance, size L, and it fits under the seat. It's really comfy for my head's shape and provides good ventillation.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

You don't necessarily need to spend a bundle to get a quality helmet. But, you do need to find one that fits. If you're a round head and buy an oval head helmet to save a few bucks, you're going to be uncomfortable and the helmet won't protect you as well as it should. So, figure out what kind of head you've got and then try on a bunch of different helmets. Buy the one that fits the best. It's been said before, you get one head and it's worth your while to protect it.

If you have an oval head, I recommend you try a Scorpion EXO-400. Good protection and excellent ventilation for a little over $100.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
jperkins

Helmet

Post by jperkins »

I bought a Fulmer helmet and love it. The model was the Modus. Here is a link to the maufactuer. http://www.fulmerhelmets.com/Product/afm.html

I din't buy one of the crazy color ones though. I got the standard silver one.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

gt1000 wrote:You don't necessarily need to spend a bundle to get a quality helmet. But, you do need to find one that fits. If you're a round head and buy an oval head helmet to save a few bucks, you're going to be uncomfortable and the helmet won't protect you as well as it should. So, figure out what kind of head you've got and then try on a bunch of different helmets. Buy the one that fits the best. It's been said before, you get one head and it's worth your while to protect it.
+1

There are plenty of helmets in all different price ranges, the key is to just try them out and figure out what fits. If it makes your head hurt because it's the wrong shape, then you won't want to be wearing, and that can lead to some real headaches!
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

vitaminC wrote:
gt1000 wrote:You don't necessarily need to spend a bundle to get a quality helmet. But, you do need to find one that fits. If you're a round head and buy an oval head helmet to save a few bucks, you're going to be uncomfortable and the helmet won't protect you as well as it should. So, figure out what kind of head you've got and then try on a bunch of different helmets. Buy the one that fits the best. It's been said before, you get one head and it's worth your while to protect it.
+1

There are plenty of helmets in all different price ranges, the key is to just try them out and figure out what fits. If it makes your head hurt because it's the wrong shape, then you won't want to be wearing, and that can lead to some real headaches!
+2

(The Bell Sprint helmet definitely fits under the seat.)
lou76

Post by lou76 »

SteMer wrote:
vitaminC wrote:
+1

+2

+3
scorpion exo-700
golfinguy

Post by golfinguy »

lou76 wrote:
SteMer wrote:
vitaminC wrote: +1

+2

+3
scorpion exo-700
+4 - go for fit! Golfingirl and I didn't go cheap on the helmets. This is only because when we tried on the base model Shoei full face (forget the model), they fit us waay better than anything else we had tried, and were much lighter than the less expensive helmets. We definitley have oval heads, and small apparently.
lylee

Post by lylee »

I got a Fulmer too!! (Matte Black) I love mine. Fits well, its comfy, I can wear sunglasses easily, and it definately fits under the seat. I can even fit gloves, neck tube, my white coat (including "instruments"), and a book. It's a size L. There is alot of space under that seat.

L
Keys

Post by Keys »

If you prefer an open-face style, my wife got me a Z1R Metro helmet for Christmas. It's specifically designed for scooterists. I couldn't tell you why, but that's what they say! It's comfy, lightweight, DOT certified and the faceshield is easily replaceable with clear, light smoke or dark smoke. I have both the clear and dark smoke.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
femsatronic

Post by femsatronic »

I definitely recommend FULMER. The don't sell on the web. I also recommend "whatever the people you like dealing with sell". In other words, go where you bought the buddy and ask them what they like in your price range. If all they sell is Arai and Shoei you might be outta luck but at least you tried. I like shopping locally, besides, they will be there for replacement face shields.
femsatronic

Post by femsatronic »

That's a real good hat.
ivyall

Post by ivyall »

I measured and then got mine on Ebay. It's a great fit, comfy and affordable.

My two cents.

Ivyall :D
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

ivyall wrote:I measured and then got mine on Ebay. It's a great fit, comfy and affordable.
I'm all for getting a good deal, especially since my local dealers have pretty slim helmet selections. And I buy a lot of stuff off eBay. But, I also have a large head (7 3/4 hat size ). The one time I tried to buy a helmet online would up in two returns and then a refund—which you wouldn't get from all eBayers. So, if you're going this route, make sure they have a good return policy and lots of positive feedback.

And, in my limited experience, you should still try the helmet on to be sure it fits the shape of your head. Some manufacturers/dealers will note that a particular helmet is "good for a round/oval/Frankenstein head" but that's still pretty vague. I'd love a modular full face but have yet to find a quality model that fits me.

The Fulmer looks pretty good and has stellar reviews. There's a dealer not too far from me, so I'll check it out next week.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Also, when you go to try helmets on, make sure you keep it on your head for a while before you buy -- at least a few minutes.

Some helmets feel comfortable at first, but they start to put pressure on certain spots on your melon, and that SUCKS on a long ride. :?

Learn from my mistakes!! :lol:

Seriously, the helmet that I bought for auto racing fit fine for short periods of time, but it's like a frickin' clamp on my skull during longer sessions. :cry:
Huh? What just happened?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

AxeYrCat wrote:Also, when you go to try helmets on, make sure you keep it on your head for a while before you buy -- at least a few minutes.

Some helmets feel comfortable at first, but they start to put pressure on certain spots on your melon, and that SUCKS on a long ride. :?
This gets pretty tricky because most helmets will feel tight at first. The padding will compress some as you wear it in, so it should become more comfortable.

If, when trying a helmet on, you can move the helmet up and down or side to side on your head, then it's too big. There's a good guide to "retention" and "fit" in this article.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
rossini

Post by rossini »

Thanks everyone. I ended up going with the HJC CL-15. It actually felt the best out of the HJC's and the Scorpions. To my surprise i was an extra SMALL but they explained the HJC's run very big. I was a medium in the Scorpion and the Shui.
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

That is a nice helmet and you got one of the better values out there. Just remembar to keep it in the in the bag when you are not using it.

Dave
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

femsatronic wrote:I definitely recommend FULMER. The don't sell on the web. I also recommend "whatever the people you like dealing with sell". In other words, go where you bought the buddy and ask them what they like in your price range. If all they sell is Arai and Shoei you might be outta luck but at least you tried. I like shopping locally, besides, they will be there for replacement face shields.
I like shopping locally, too, but sometimes that isn't an option. I was fortunate enough to grab my 3/4 helmet from my awesome dealer, but the options they had for my full-face were slim to none. Still shopping around for a flip-up full-face, and I might just wait until the next motorcycle show in NYC for that one. I think it's next summer? :roll:
ModBud #442
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

ScooterDave wrote:That is a nice helmet and you got one of the better values out there. Just remembar to keep it in the in the bag when you are not using it.

Dave
The bag that came with my helmet seems really flimsy. What real protection does it offer (if any)?

PS: Your usericon is HILARIOUS! Good grief.
ModBud #442
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

The bag will keep it from getting scratched while sitting on a shelf or where ever you keep your helmet. It is very easy to scratch your faceshield & other parts of the helmet. Helmets fall off tables and other places. This just adds one more layer of protection from dust, dirt & scratches while not in use.

I had to change my Avatar. I ran into Phil McCaleb (owner of ScooterWorks & Genuine) yesterday in Indy and thought I should make nice and bury the hatchet so to speak as I have been harboring a grudge for 10+ years against him from him insulting me at a rally. Well. halfway through the conversation he started insulting and putting down friends of mine in the scootering community. This was in front of the Corazzo booth. Needless to say, I did not make peace with Phil, as that was my intention but just got more angry at this guy. My version is on my website & now you know the rest of the story....

Dave
Xeys

Scorpion 700 ex 400

Post by Xeys »

I got this one today. Cost me a bit of serious cash, but my melon is worth it.
Life Sucks, Get a good helmet
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: Scorpion 700 ex 400

Post by ericalm »

Xeys wrote:I got this one today. Cost me a bit of serious cash, but my melon is worth it.
Which one?
bethtrittipo

Post by bethtrittipo »

I have a Gmax helmet that I got on sale, online, for very cheap. I'm quite happy with it.
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

Bell has come out with a new helmet color that would look pretty sweet with the orange buddies.
Attachments
Mag8BlkOrngRallyT.jpg
Mag8BlkOrngRallyT.jpg (23.11 KiB) Viewed 2207 times
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

I'm thinking about getting the AFX FX-97 could use your opinion. Does anyone have this helmet?

---
UPDATE: The AFX didn't work out for me so looks like I'll be ordering the HJC CL-MAX Flip Up (wish it was available in Flat Black)
Last edited by Corsair on Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
ebcspace

helmet choices

Post by ebcspace »

a website I found, nice to browse and buy, competitively priced is

http://www.ridegear.com/

picked up a helmet, then had to exchange, without hassle.

at the time, purchased an icon mainframe rubitone helmet.

now that I know the icon mainframe helmet fit, after a couple years,
I just picked up this one...

the model I just got, on ebay, was found easily by searching
"icon mainframe", and at a great price, since the specific model
is discontinued (just being replaced with new, latest graphics models).
Attachments
new helmet.JPG
new helmet.JPG (63.36 KiB) Viewed 2135 times
scoot on!
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Some tips for those looking to get their first helmet:

Also be aware that each company's sizes run differently. An Extra Large from one company may be a Large in another company's helmet. If you're ordering a helmet online try to check the site's SIZE CHART if available.
San Francisco

Post by San Francisco »

Very nice post on the helmet fit. I'll chime in in the event someone else is
reading up on making a helmet choice.

I have a detailed "scientific" article that talks about helmet prices and
quality. The general conclusion was that the $200 helmets were just as
safe as the top end units such as Arai. I'll post it if I can find it.

Myself, I use mostly Arai Corsair, etc. Most are $600 helmets that I buy
on eBay for about $300 each.

But what the other Member mentioned is accurate, the Scorpion EXO-700
full face helmet is an excellent value. Back when I bought one I got it on
eBay for $180. But I know they can be found for $150 and lower
nowadays.

The Scorpion EXO-700 received super excellent reviews by all the
magazines when it came out and some even said it was as good as the
high end helmets. I find it to be a bit heavier than my Arai helmets which
is one of the reasons I stick with Arai, they are light and fit my head well.

So if you are looking for a bargain helmet that is super safe, go with the
Scorpion. Otherwise another good brand is HJC. They have improved
quality over the years to where they are at the same level as all $200
helmets, meaning they look good and protect your head.

If you are tempted to buy used to stay within your $100 price point,
BEWARE buying used inasmuch as helmets lose their protective
capabilities as they age. Basically, the foam deteriorates over time.
While the helmet may look fine on the surface, even new, inside the foam
has "rotted" to where in a crash the helmet won't protect you.

General wisdom says that a helmet more than five years old should be destroyed.
What this means is that the helmet should have the lining and straps cut out so
that it does not end up on the Goodwill or Salvation Army
shelves to where someone else will buy it thinking they have a safe
helmet.

Bonus Comment: I'd go with full face, always. You need the protection.
Don't sacrifice maximum safety for the sake of being able to put the
helmet inside the Buddy's helmet compartment.

Bonus Tip: Pay attention to sizing, as stated in the Member's chart. Won't
matter how good the helmet is, if it does not fit right you might as well not
be wearing a helmet at all.

Here's an eBay link:

http://search-desc.ebay.com/search/sear ... 26fsoo%3D1
Last edited by San Francisco on Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Thanks for chiming in, SF.

I love a good bargain and while I agree that protecting your noggin is worth getting a good quality helmet, I'm also quite glad that there seem to be more and more affordable options so I don't have to sacrifice safety for frugality.

I have purchased 3 helmets online (2 from eBay, one from a retail site) and only one has fit out of the box because size guides based on measuring circumference don't account for the shape of your head. So it's still best to try one on. At the very least, buy from a seller with a good exchange policy and other sizes in stock. Also, some reviews tell you what shape of head is best for a helmet, though I've yet to find a recommendation for a "cylindrical, kind of Fred Flintstone shaped" head. The search goes on...
Kurzer

Post by Kurzer »

This is my commuter lid, I use it on the scooter and the bike during the week. Bluetooth connects to the phone, everything is voice controlled and noise cancelling in the lid makes it sound like I'm in a quiet room, up to around 120 then it gives away where I am.

This one is my riding lid for the bike, good solid construction and dual visors make it perfect for leaving before dawn, riding all day and a little into the night :wink: This one has my bloodtype stickered to the top of the clear visor... just in case.

The wife's lid

My play lid... it's been dropped a few times so I use it when I'm going out to practice um... stuff at low speeds :lol:

I don't do much modding on the scoot anymore, just riding :-)
pesqueeb

Fulmer Helmets

Post by pesqueeb »

I'd like to toss a huge Kudos out there for Fulmer Helmets. On Feb 27th I was on the very short end of an broadside exchange between my Buddy and a 2002 VW Jetta. After 6 weeks in the hospital, 11 broken bones, 2 broken teeth and one severely damaged liver I was able to come home. What surprised me the most when I got home was the incredible level of damage the helmet sustained. Absolutely without a doubt the helmet saved my life. I don't know what else you can say about a helmet that offers a bigger level of praise than that. When, and if, I can ever get on a scooter again, I will definitely buy another Fulmer. Although I guess next time it will be a full face, just to save some teeth.
Attachments
Whats left of the front end and throttle assembly.
Whats left of the front end and throttle assembly.
Throttle.jpg (17.5 KiB) Viewed 2006 times
helmet 2.jpg
helmet 2.jpg (30.67 KiB) Viewed 2006 times
helmet 1.jpg
helmet 1.jpg (26.58 KiB) Viewed 2006 times
Take off the tin foil hat and let the voices drive for a minute. It'll be fine.
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

pesqueeb-

Wow! I'd say you were right about the Fulmer saving your life! Sorry it took getting whacked by a cager. So, did the cager get ticketed, have insurance, and at least apologize?

There's a thread about what kind of helmet you wear here on the board. I'm a full-face kinda guy, and your experience is the kind of thing they were made for.

My best to you, and I hope you get well enough to start scooting again soon.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
pesqueeb

Post by pesqueeb »

Yes,
The cager in question was cited with reckless driving. Her insurance is paying for my hospital "visit", which last I checked, was nearing 3/4 of a million dollars. As for an apology,at this particular moment in my life I think it best for the cager in question to not make an appearance. Although I wouldn't recognize her if she walked by and kicked my dog so I guess it doesn't matter. Thanks for your best wishes, I'll probably need them for awhile.
Cheers!
Take off the tin foil hat and let the voices drive for a minute. It'll be fine.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Beyond anything I'm glad you're alright, pesqueeb! Take care and best wishes.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Does anyone know of a good modular helmet that's available in Flat Black? The only one I've found so far was the AFX FX-97, which doesn't work for me. Their size XXL fits like a Large in other brands I've tried.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Whatever helmet you choose, be sure to learn how to fasten it correctly.
ModBud #442
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

... :searches for words: ....ummm .....WOW!

...Wow
merlin

Post by merlin »

thats just amazing.