South Bay Area Buddy riders;

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

rajron

Post by rajron »

I intend on attending Amerivespa this year; will be staying in Morgan Hill and Watsonville.
I was curious if anyone have taken their scooters over Hwy 152, or 129; west to east. Will they handle those roads?
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

admirably, fun roads. But if you're in watsonville, ride up to SC and we can take the hill to LG together.
Looking for ppl to ride with in LA.
rajron

Post by rajron »

That sounds like a great idea! – jus not sure if I will be in Morgan Hill, or in Watsonville; isn’t it nice to have options. Plans have not been set as of yet, but before we head out west I will have a better idea on the dates at each location; the boss, whom I live with, makes those decisions – I will keep in touch.
I know 129 should be easy, it’s just of out of the way – the most direct route, 152 is the road I am most concerned with, it seems steep for a scooter.
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

152 is cake, don't worry, went over it last week.
rajron

Post by rajron »

Thanx for the input
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

You're riding the Buddy to Amerivespa from 'Burque?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
rajron

Post by rajron »

Oh no – I am a light weight rider, I cannot go long distances, even in a car, that is without resting alot.
My wife and I are towing our scooters to the South Bay, where we will be staying for a couple of weeks – we are attending Amerivespa and King Tut; eventually heading north to Chico.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Riding in from NM in July would be pretty hardcore.
It'll be great to see you at Amerivespa!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Eric: Are you riding the whole way up and back?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

k1dude wrote:Eric: Are you riding the whole way up and back?
Planning on it! There are several groups riding up from SoCal. I'm riding up with Mike from NoHo Scooters and some of the local hooligans.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

ericalm wrote:... and some of the local hooligans...
Hey I resemble that remark! :?

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

ericalm wrote:
Planning on it! There are several groups riding up from SoCal. I'm riding up with Mike from NoHo Scooters and some of the local hooligans.
are you taking the buddy or LX?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

enzomatic wrote:
ericalm wrote:
are you taking the buddy or LX?
I'll be riding the LX up. Aside from the extra CCs, it's more comfortable for me for a ride this long. If we have a Genuine owners/ModernBuddy gathering, I may need to figure a way to borrow one…:)
rajron

Post by rajron »

Hooligan Vespa riders amongst Buddy riders – It might give us Buddy riders character.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

Take 152, far nicer ride. Yeah you'll have the throttle wide open up the hill, but so what. You're certainly not going to be any slower than any Ford Aerostar I get behind on that road :D But it's a beautiful little ride up through the redwoods.

129 is flat but not nearly as scenic as 152. And 129 is a heavily used truck route. If you're coming over to 152 from Morgan Hill, there are some fun and scenic roads there too.

I'm in Watsonville. Wave when you go through :D
rajron

Post by rajron »

Even on the flats I seem to be throttle wide open, I know that feeling – Lived in Gilroy for 18 years, worked in Santa Cruz for over a year, daily taking 152, but it was in a car, by the way I saw that Aerostar!
Amerivespa?
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

rajron wrote:Even on the flats I seem to be throttle wide open, I know that feeling – Lived in Gilroy for 18 years, worked in Santa Cruz for over a year, daily taking 152, but it was in a car, by the way I saw that Aerostar!
Amerivespa?
be nice, they're heading to Amerostar 09
Angela

Post by Angela »

Hmmm, if I can get my scooter hauled up north a bit I may try and meet up with some of ya. I am not ready for a ride starting from San Diego, but up the coast a bit would work.

I would feel safe in a group. Anyone willing to take me under their wing?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Angela wrote:I would feel safe in a group. Anyone willing to take me under their wing?
Honestly, I don't know that this is the best ride to do if you're not already confident with a long-distance ride and high speeds in a group. As is, I'm hoping to test my long(ish)-distance riding abilities with some full day outings before July.

If you're unsure about riding up, I bet there are some people either trucking or trailering their scoots up from SD who have extra space.
Angela

Post by Angela »

ericalm wrote:
Angela wrote:I would feel safe in a group. Anyone willing to take me under their wing?
Honestly, I don't know that this is the best ride to do if you're not already confident with a long-distance ride and high speeds in a group. As is, I'm hoping to test my long(ish)-distance riding abilities with some full day outings before July.

If you're unsure about riding up, I bet there are some people either trucking or trailering their scoots up from SD who have extra space.
I do have a way to trailer my scooter. I am just not sure of the long haul. Maybe next year when I get the Vespa.
maribell

Post by maribell »

Next year it will be in San Antonio!!! Wuurd.
Tenchi

Hey, Rajron....

Post by Tenchi »

My daughter went to Chico state, and some of my family lives up in Chico, and my nephew works at Sierra Nevada Brewery off of 20th ave. Check it out, neat place. Lots of great places to visit up there. Just have a designated rider....
rajron

Post by rajron »

The in-laws live in Chico; I enjoyed Sierra Nevada Brewery, but I haven’t been there in a few years, I think the two times I went there was around the year it was first built, glad you reminded me. The in-laws (old) think the Brewery is too loud, we’re goin with them.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

maribell wrote:Next year it will be in San Antonio!!! Wuurd.
ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!! OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG
ModBud #442
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

polianarchy wrote:
maribell wrote:Next year it will be in San Antonio!!! Wuurd.
ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!! OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG
San Antonio in July? Whew.
Tenchi

Hey, Rajron....

Post by Tenchi »

Take the in-laws to Madison Bear Garden first; they'll long for the peace and quiet of Sierra Nevada Brewery! And if you can, go to Bidwell Park for a nice long hike. A little trivia--many of the scenes from the 1938 movie "Robin Hood" were filmed there. And they now have a root beer specialty shop in the old downtown that's really cool. I like getting up at sunrise and walking downtown before the crowds hit; fortunately Chico State will be out for summer break so you won't get stomped on by all those pesky students...Tres Amigos (or is it Gringos?) has some fine mexican food. Their strawberry margueritas are great. Don't stay at the Safari Inn motel unless you want to meet some very interesting people (that you wouldn't take home to meet Mother).