Is it worth it???

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Angela

Is it worth it???

Post by Angela »

Someone is selling a 70s Vespa Primavera body for $375 on craigslist. It has everything except the gas tank and engine.

I live with a mechanic and he can do all the restoration, paint upholstery needed.

Is it worth the price? What else should I look for/ask about?
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

I dont know what its worth, but I know it will be a fun project.
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Do it
Angela

Post by Angela »

Going to look at it at 5:30.

Looking can't hurt. I will also be showing up with cash in hand and a truck just in case its a deal :wink:
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

You could always pop a stella engine in some of those.
Looking for ppl to ride with in LA.
Angela

Post by Angela »

enzomatic wrote:You could always pop a stella engine in some of those.
Really????

Hmmmm

This is coming together.

Hopes, please don't get up...
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I saw something like this on scoot.net but cant find it now. If the body is good, not all rusted, I'd say go for it. If it's being eaten alive with rust, then ignore it, it's lived a good life.

Scooterworks will have everything you need to restore it, from floor boards, to the engine, to the gas tank, and beyond.
Angela

Post by Angela »

jfrost2 wrote:I saw something like this on scoot.net but cant find it now. If the body is good, not all rusted, I'd say go for it. If it's being eaten alive with rust, then ignore it, it's lived a good life.

Scooterworks will have everything you need to restore it, from floor boards, to the engine, to the gas tank, and beyond.
I just talked to my friend at Motorsport, he knows the guy. He said it needs a ton of small parts. The body is in good shape.

Apparently the boyfriend wants this more than the Blackjack. So its his call.

Will let you now how this plays out.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

A modern scooter will always be much more reliable than a vintage bike even if restored. It's 60-70's technology, not 2009's.

I'd say if he has experience restoring cars or motorcycles go for it. But if he is totally new, this is probably something he will half do, then let it sit in the garage for 10 years then sell in online. I see these type of projects half done all the time online.

Your dealer might also have some help with mechanics and who could paint the bike. You dont want to rattle can a vintage vespa....it doesnt work.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

jfrost2 wrote: You dont want to rattle can a vintage vespa....it doesn't work.
Oh I've seen some kick butt Krylon Kings! Up there with a pro job? No. But for the price it can be hard to beat. And really...this is going to be a rebuild...not a restoration.

The main thing to look for is major rust a JF2 said and make sure the frame is straight.

If the legshield is a little dinged that just adds character but if there are major problems near where the legshield and floorboards meet I would avoid it.

Good luck! Personally I would pop a LML 150 into it.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Well on modern bikes the paintjobs look awesome and hold up because most modern bikes are plastic and can be taken apart easily into smaller pieces for painting. On a 1 piece solid steel frame it isnt as easy. It's true I have seen a few nice rattle can jobs on vintage bikes, but usually these are people who are professionals.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

It's a Primavera ... rat it out!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Angela

Post by Angela »

Went and looked at it. Not too bad. A little rust bust Nate didn't seem to worried about it. He is restoring a 1956 Hudson Hornet right now and that is a rust case. Nate is a hot rod and motorcycle guy so he has scene some bad cases.

No rattle can here. I want a nice paint job when its done. Paint is way down the road, it needs a bunch of mechanical stuff figured out first. It will take us some time but we have good help.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

good restoration proj. i want it :twisted:
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

A primavera's a smallframe, you can't put a new "stella" engine in it.

Finding a smallframe engine, especially a 125, might be tough. Most smallframe 125s get snapped up by people who want to upgrade their 50 or 90.

Aside from that, it was a very common model and I can't think of any specific parts that are hard to get. I'm an idiot and I restored one myself (sent out the engine for a rebuild and had a pro paint it, but did all the assembly myself) and it came out great.

Primaveras are great bikes, smaller and peppier than their bigger cousins, great for a first vintage bike, or for a smaller guy/girl (or a 6' fatso like me)
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Illnoise is right, scooterworks only sells the new large frame LML engine for px's stellas, and rally's, etc. You might be able to order a small frame engine, might not be 125cc, but I remember reading a old catalog from 2006 and they produced many parts for vintage bikes still, they still produce the p200 engine, so maybe they still produce small frame engines?
JSharpPhoto

Post by JSharpPhoto »

i wouldn't do it. hold out for a better find. you should be able to find one with a seized motor for just a little more. That way you can just rebuild the motor, rather then trying to find one. The service tech at Vespa in Oklahoma City, his wife drives one of the limited edition Dr. Marten small frame ET3's, and they race that thing. They might have advice on the small frame rebuild. Everyone I know goes large frame, because there are more parts available.
Angela

Post by Angela »

We are still thinking about it. Someone found an engine in OC, but I don't know.

I want a vintage Vespa, but this is not my ideal model. If the guy still has it tomorrow then we will probably buy it. I wanted to have a cool down period so we could look for some parts and think.

My friend at Motorsport doesn't think its the best idea. I trust him wholeheartedly. I am trying to separate I want one so bad" from "this is the reality of the situation". I really don't think its that bad of a deal, but I am concerned about finding some of the parts.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Find yourself a rat bike p150 or p200 that is running great, restore the body, inspect the engine/transmission. That seems more like the best reality. Same could also go for a rally or sprint 150, plus they use the same sized engine, so a new LML from scooterworks would fit. I've seen rat bikes with restored engines for as low as $1200 with horrible paint jobs cracking apart, but mechanically they are fine.