Voodoo Buddy site?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Kaos

Voodoo Buddy site?

Post by Kaos »

Ok all you creative types. I'm going to start a "Voodoo Buddy"
site to chronicle all the mods that Djelliot, Lostmycage, and myself
are doing along with photos and info, since my signature is just getting too long to keep it all in. So any of you want to help with some graphics?

I'm looking for some sort of logo and a high res side photo of a Buddy
of some sort. I'm planning on having something that looks semi schematic like that lists all the parts where you can click them and see what mods have been done.

I'm all versed in Ajaxy CSS XHTML 4.0/transitional madness, but don't do as good with the photoshop goodness :)
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

I like your write ups i think its way cool that you guys have tweaked
and gaind so muchperformance from your rides good work
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I will try to come up with some stuff for you guys, this is a great idea! :D
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

oh wow... the buddy love is growing!!! can't wait to see what it looks like!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

KRUSTYburger wrote:I will try to come up with some stuff for you guys, this is a great idea! :D
That'd be awesome of you Krusty, you've got some awesome art skills goin on :)
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

This sounds like it's gonna turn out really awesome. Let me know what I can do to help.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

kneil67@yahoo.com wrote:I like your write ups i think its way cool that you guys have tweaked
and gaind so muchperformance from your rides good work
Thanks for the props kneil. Its nice to know that people enjoy our modding as much as we do :D
Angela

Post by Angela »

I have no web site skills but I support this idea whole heartily.

If I can offer some accounting services in aid.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Thanks for doing this for all of us Kaos. It'll be great for everyone and it will be really appreciated. I suspect you have the fastest Buddy in the world.
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Awesome idea brother. I'll come up with some logo ideas as well. I'm decent with flash animation as well. So if you need any of that let me know. I want to create a discrete "Voodoo Tuned" sticker for us to put on our bikes. I'll submit some ideas later. I've a few rolling around in my head.
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

k1dude wrote:Thanks for doing this for all of us Kaos. It'll be great for everyone and it will be really appreciated. I suspect you have the fastest Buddy in the world.
Heh, more than likely, with the possible exception of Tumon-Ninja's 200cc Buddy if he ever gets it going.

djelliot wrote:Awesome idea brother. I'll come up with some logo ideas as well. I'm decent with flash animation as well. So if you need any of that let me know. I want to create a discrete "Voodoo Tuned" sticker for us to put on our bikes. I'll submit some ideas later. I've a few rolling around in my head.
That would be so cool. :) I was kinda day-dreaming on my ride back to my house this morning about how much fun it would be to have a Voodoo Buddy build-off. If we could get you and I in the same place at the same time, two stock Buddys, and 48 hours of voodoo, followed by a race to see which one was faster :P Someday when I've got enough money to hack up a pair of Buddies just for fun :)
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Kaos wrote:
k1dude wrote:Thanks for doing this for all of us Kaos. It'll be great for everyone and it will be really appreciated. I suspect you have the fastest Buddy in the world.
Heh, more than likely, with the possible exception of Tumon-Ninja's 200cc Buddy if he ever gets it going.

djelliot wrote:Awesome idea brother. I'll come up with some logo ideas as well. I'm decent with flash animation as well. So if you need any of that let me know. I want to create a discrete "Voodoo Tuned" sticker for us to put on our bikes. I'll submit some ideas later. I've a few rolling around in my head.
That would be so cool. :) I was kinda day-dreaming on my ride back to my house this morning about how much fun it would be to have a Voodoo Buddy build-off. If we could get you and I in the same place at the same time, two stock Buddys, and 48 hours of voodoo, followed by a race to see which one was faster :P Someday when I've got enough money to hack up a pair of Buddies just for fun :)
I think this is the best idea I've heard. Let me talk to some folks. I think this would be an awesome promotional event for Genuine to show case how expandable their best selling little bike is.

DJE
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
hyuuu

Post by hyuuu »

Kaos: may I propose jQuery as your ajaxy thingie :)
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

hyuuu wrote:Kaos: may I propose jQuery as your ajaxy thingie :)
I've not messed with jQuery much. I'm oldskool and usually do my Ajax by hand.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

djelliott wrote:
Kaos wrote:

I think this is the best idea I've heard. Let me talk to some folks. I think this would be an awesome promotional event for Genuine to show case how expandable their best selling little bike is.

DJE

I would travel for that! It'd be a great rally activity!

Alternately, we could showcase the effects of different types of tuning. Say one person does intake/exhaust, the other person does CVT/ignition. That would be cool to see! Then when the weekend's all done, combine the two and ride to the moon!! Or something like that....
Last edited by Lostmycage on Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Lostmycage wrote:
djelliott wrote:
Kaos wrote: Heh, more than likely, with the possible exception of Tumon-Ninja's 200cc Buddy if he ever gets it going.

DJE

I would travel for that! It'd be a great rally activity!

Alternately, we could showcase the effects of different types of tuning. Say one person does intake/exhaust, the other person does CVT/ignition. That would be cool to see! Then when the weekend's all done, combine the two and ride to the moon!! Or something like that....
Yeah, I'd love to do something like that to promote the scooter we all know and love. :)

It WOULD make a good Rally event too, depending on when it happened.

Seriously, I think I could get a Buddy to top 90(Mine is almost there anyway), and maybe even into triple digits :P How cool would that be for advertising? "World's fastest 125cc scooter". Though I don't know if it would be possible in a "48 hours of Voodoo" format.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Kaos wrote:Seriously, I think I could get a Buddy to top 90(Mine is almost there anyway...
Kaos, what speed are the tires on your Buddy rated for? I mention this because I had the experience last September on the Cannonball of unleashing my scooter and went over 95 GPS-verified MPH. The next day while I was riding along at 30 or so MPH, a chunk of rubber bigger than a softball came flying out of my rear tire. If that had happened while I was going 95, I'd have been roadkill. Hotrodding a Buddy is great fun, but I'd think twice about going the kind of speeds you are talking about on 10 inch wheels, especially without consulting the speed rating on the tire.

Just a word to the wise... :wink:

P.S. My rear wheel was a 13 inch, far bigger than the Buddy's.
Last edited by jrsjr on Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

jrsjr wrote:
Kaos wrote:Seriously, I think I could get a Buddy to top 90(Mine is almost there anyway...
Kaos, what speed are the tires on your Buddy rated for? I mention this because I had the experience last September on the Cannonball of unleashing my scooter and went over 95 GPS-verified MPH. The next day while I was riding along at 30 or so MPH, a chunk of rubber bigger than a softball came flying out of my rear tire. If that had happened while I was going 95, I'd have been roadkill. Hotrodding a Buddy is great fun, but I'd think twice about going the kind of speeds you are talking about on 10 inch wheels, especially without consulting the speed rating on the tire.

Just a word to the wise... :wink:
Way ahead of you there :) I've blown out tires on the race track before, and its scary even in that controlled environment. My tires are R rated, which makes them good to 102 MPH.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Kaos wrote:[
Way ahead of you there :) I've blown out tires on the race track before, and its scary even in that controlled environment. My tires are R rated, which makes them good to 102 MPH.
Really? That's very impressive. If you don't mind me asking, which tires for the Buddy are R rated? I's surprised because, according to my notes, even the much-vaunted Michelin Pilot Pro SC 12 inch tires are only P rated (92 mph).
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

jrsjr wrote:
Kaos wrote:[
Really? That's very impressive. If you don't mind me asking, which tires for the Buddy are R rated? I's surprised because, according to my notes, even the much-vaunted Michelin Pilot Pro SC 12 inch tires are only P rated (92 mph).
Erm, I'll have to go look at the brand on them for you in the morning. I had to special order them from my dealer, as I wanted to be sure that they were going to be safe(Well as much as high speed on 10" tires ever is) to run at those speeds.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Kaos wrote:...I wanted to be sure that they were going to be safe(Well as much as high speed on 10" tires ever is) to run at those speeds.
I totally hear you about that. Having my rear tire come apart at 30 was enough to scare the bejeebus outta me.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

jrsjr wrote:
Kaos wrote:...I wanted to be sure that they were going to be safe(Well as much as high speed on 10" tires ever is) to run at those speeds.
I totally hear you about that. Having my rear tire come apart at 30 was enough to scare the bejeebus outta me.
Heh, yeah I'll bet! When you only got 2 wheels to begin with, being down to 1 is scary!
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

That's a big relief! That's something that I thought of before, and I think I asked you about it (Kaos) but I don't recall hearing back that you'd swapped them out. It's been at the back of my mind bugging me, but I couldn't figure out what was bugging me... it was the speed rating of the tires.

jrsjr, was that on your Silverwing when you were riding along with the Cannonball?

I can tell you that 80 scares the hell out of me on the Blur, and I'll likely not be doing that again until I get new rubber on it, which should be soon. I've got a spare set of black rims that I'm going to fit with new tires when I repaint it.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

So I dug out the reciept. I asked for an R rated tire, assuming that they were rated the same as car tires. Apparently motorcycle tires have their own rating system.

There's a good rundown of them <a href="http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle- ... ">here.</a>

To give an idea, Continental Zippy 1's are J rated, which means they're designed for sustained speeds of 62 MPH, with bursts to 100MPH.

I ended up(according to the reciept anyway) with Perelli Diablos, which come in scooter sizes rated for P(94 sustained, 150 burst), S(112 sustained, and 180 bursts), and H(130 sustained, 210 burst).

The receipt doesn't specify which of the three ratings my tires are rated for.

I'm going to find out though....
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Lostmycage wrote:jrsjr, was that on your Silverwing when you were riding along with the Cannonball?
Yes sir. That was the day they went on the gravel road. I took a detour to avoid that road. The idea was to make this big arc to the north, then come back south and meet up with the CBR route. The tire blew when I was at a mountain overlook as far north from the group as I could possibly be. I had zero bars of cell reception and no land line phone so I ended up having to ride about 2 MPH down the mountain on that tire with the giant chunk of tread missing from it. Good times. Heh.

P.S. I was only a couple hundred miles from the meeting spot, so AAA covered the first hundred miles of towing and I got the next hundred... at $4.00 per mile. Are we having fun, yet??? :wink:
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Kaos wrote: I'm going to find out though....
Hopefully you mean you're going to look at your tires and not "the hard way".

:lol:
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

jrsjr wrote:
Lostmycage wrote:jrsjr, was that on your Silverwing when you were riding along with the Cannonball?
Yes sir. That was the day they went on the gravel road. I took a detour to avoid that road. The idea was to make this big arc to the north, then come back south and meet up with the CBR route. The tire blew when I was at a mountain overlook as far north from the group as I could possibly be. I had zero bars of cell reception and no land line phone so I ended up having to ride about 2 MPH down the mountain on that tire with the giant chunk of tread missing from it. Good times. Heh.

P.S. I was only a couple hundred miles from the meeting spot, so AAA covered the first hundred miles of towing and I got the next hundred... at $4.00 per mile. Are we having fun, yet??? :wink:

OUCH! I guess all things considered, I'd rather pay in cash than in road-rash.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Lostmycage wrote:
Kaos wrote: I'm going to find out though....
Hopefully you mean you're going to look at your tires and not "the hard way".

:lol:
Heh, yeah I'm going to look at the tires.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Lostmycage wrote:
jrsjr wrote:
...AAA covered the first hundred miles of towing and I got the next hundred... at $4.00 per mile. Are we having fun, yet??? :wink:

OUCH! I guess all things considered, I'd rather pay in cash than in road-rash.
Deal of the Century!!! I hadn't looked at it that way before. Thanks. :D
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I like how every thread involving you guys ends up with someone wanting to buy a bunch of performance stuff. :lol:

Anyways, I did a little drawing/logo for the voodoo buddy site... It's pretty cliche, but hopefully you can use it.
I have the layered photoshop file still if you want to change the colors or background or anything.

Let me know if anybody has another idea and I can give it a shot.

Kaos

Post by Kaos »

KRUSTYburger wrote:I like how every thread involving you guys ends up with someone wanting to buy a bunch of performance stuff. :lol:

Anyways, I did a little drawing/logo for the voodoo buddy site... It's pretty cliche, but hopefully you can use it.
I have the layered photoshop file still if you want to change the colors or background or anything.

Let me know if anybody has another idea and I can give it a shot.

Hah! Cliche or not, thats fan-friggin-tastic! That's gonna be awesome :D You've definately got the skills of an artist goin on!
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

noticed that your valves are set at .07 most people have thereset at .08
i noticed that they have a range of settings from.06 to .010 in the manual
mines at a .07 to i was just to lazy to change it i figured i will check it again in 2000 miles and see if its changed much. love the voodoo
right now i can only afford hoodoo so that will have toodoo
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

kneil67@yahoo.com wrote:noticed that your valves are set at .07 most people have thereset at .08
mines at a .07 to i was just to lazy to change it i figured i will check it again in 2000 miles and see if its changed much love the voodoo
right now i can only afford hoodoo
Yeah, I spent an afternoon setting them in .002 increments between .06 and .10 and it seemed to like .070 best. My valve adjustment seems to wander a bit more than average though since I've got stiffer valve springs in mine.
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

I love the graphic Krusty. A layered P-shop file would be good for changing BG color depending on what the site is going to look like. That's pretty much up to kaos.
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Kaos wrote:
kneil67@yahoo.com wrote:noticed that your valves are set at .07 most people have thereset at .08
mines at a .07 to i was just to lazy to change it i figured i will check it again in 2000 miles and see if its changed much love the voodoo
Yeah, I spent an afternoon setting them in .002 increments between .06 and .10 and it seemed to like .070 best. My valve adjustment seems to wander a bit more than average though since I've got stiffer valve springs in mine.
Mines at .076 because that was the closest gauge I had :P .
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

djelliott wrote:I love the graphic Krusty. A layered P-shop file would be good for changing BG color depending on what the site is going to look like. That's pretty much up to kaos.
At this point its going to be that logo, black background and a schematic like side shot of a buddy. I'll get something up where its viewable once it doesn't look like I've randomly thrown objects all over a web browser :)
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

djelliott wrote:
Kaos wrote:
Mines at .076 because that was the closest gauge I had :P .
That works too :) First time I did it, I couldn't find my feeler gauge set that had .002 incriments, so I did .076 the first time as well :)
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Maybe this variation would be a little more appropriate? :lol:

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Ooh! I'll have something that works with Krusty's art. Will post tomorrow!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

KRUSTYburger wrote:Maybe this variation would be a little more appropriate? :lol:

Yes! Thats even better! You're amazing Krusty!
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

i like the skeleton with the hat :)
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Now we ned a black stig skeleton :atgatt: :D
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Ok, you can check out my ROUGH moc-up at http://www.piratelogy.com/voodoo-buddy/

I'll repeat, thats a rough moc-up :P
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

:shock: OMG KRUSTYburger!!! You are made of 100% pure win
ModBud #442
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

polianarchy wrote::shock: OMG KRUSTYburger!!! You are made of 100% pure win
:+!:
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

wow, thanks guys! Image

Kaos, I did one a little smaller with a black background to go with your site. Do you want it to say
"voodoo buddy" across the top or is that implied? Anyways, let me know when you are further
along and I can change any of the colors to match. Also if you have more stuff you need drawed.

Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Sweet illustration Krusty! A#1 +++

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Thanks Scootz!

Hey Kaos and other voodoo buddy-ers: What color is your buddy? I just did red to start with, but I wanted to do one with both regular stig and black stig.
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

KRUSTYburger wrote:Thanks Scootz!

Hey Kaos and other voodoo buddy-ers: What color is your buddy? I just did red to start with, but I wanted to do one with both regular stig and black stig.
Mine is White with a black head set and front fender. I also have a brown seat and brown grips. Sorry to make it difficult. My voodoo went beyond performance and into style over the winter.
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

you really are amazing... do you do freelance design work?