For every season turn turn

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Coffeejunkie

For every season turn turn

Post by Coffeejunkie »

Now that I've had a little time for my new found Buddy Lust to die down, I've started to look at what I may want to change on Victoria. The first thing that I've looked at is switching from the upper to the lower turn signals. I know that the wiring is all there, but I was wondering how hard is it to do this. I'm not an electrician in any way shape or form, and I don't want to accidentaly set my baby on fire.
Keys

Post by Keys »

It's extremely simple. You first remove the front "nose-piece" of the scooter. Then you unplug the upper signals (simple 'gang-plugs), then plug in the lower ones to the same plug. Done.

Remove upper signals, replace nose-piece, put on your helmet and go for a ride!

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
Coffeejunkie

Post by Coffeejunkie »

Keys wrote:It's extremely simple. You first remove the front "nose-piece" of the scooter. Then you unplug the upper signals (simple 'gang-plugs), then plug in the lower ones to the same plug. Done.

Remove upper signals, replace nose-piece, put on your helmet and go for a ride!

--Keys 8)
Thanks Keys with my families "shocking" history with electricity I tend err on the side of caution with all things electric. I may just have to grab the good old tool kit and make my mods today.
kschulz

Post by kschulz »

My understanding is that the upper signals are there because the lower ones don't meet DOT standards. Would it be illegal to disable the uppers and use only the lowers? Not sure if that's the case or not in GA, but you may want to check before modding. Or maybe somebody here can shed more light on that :?:
Kurt
My computer once beat me at chess. But it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Ed Hit

Post by Ed Hit »

+1 on checking the legality of it where you are...

Another option is to have both running together. There are many different flavors of that.

Lil Buddy (username) was selling an adapter to run them as running lights too...

Check the tech library or search for "running lights" and there are a bunch of posts on this.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I'd have both running, it's a pain to take the DOT signals off then try reinstalling them. I took mine off to use the OEM signals a long time ago, but then I needed to let my dad borrow my bike for his motorcycle test, they check if the bike is legal, so I had to re-add the DOT signals. It took forever! I decided to just splice the wiring. Looks even better.
Coffeejunkie

Post by Coffeejunkie »

jfrost2 wrote:I'd have both running, it's a pain to take the DOT signals off then try reinstalling them. I took mine off to use the OEM signals a long time ago, but then I needed to let my dad borrow my bike for his motorcycle test, they check if the bike is legal, so I had to re-add the DOT signals. It took forever! I decided to just splice the wiring. Looks even better.
Good idea, my only question then would be, how easy it to splice the wiring and what toll does it take on the battery?
Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

http://javascoots.wordpress.com/
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

its real easy, there should be a how to in the tech forum, the battery will handle it just fine
Angela

Post by Angela »

This is a very easy mod. I did it. The toughest part for me was loosenig the screw to get the front open.

The technical library will have detailed instructions. I highly suggest the adapters from Lil Buddy.
Coffeejunkie

Post by Coffeejunkie »

Thanks everyone for helping me out with this. After looking on the tech forum I may try and do DOT lights.

For certain I'm getting a friend to help me out since I don't want to blow up Victoria.
Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

http://javascoots.wordpress.com/