Helmet Help

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Angela

Helmet Help

Post by Angela »

Hi guys

I am wanting a full face helmet and found this one. Its a good price but don't know much about the brand. Anything I should be weary of?

http://www.streetbikersden.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=2233
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

I don't know anything about the brand you linked to, but...

If you're looking for a cheap FF that's pink, check this out:
http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/helm ... elmet.html
It comes in "blush"; it's a good brand, a good helmet, and it's dirt cheap at that price. A lot of MB members wear the EXO-400.

You may also want to do an eBay search for the HJC solid pink helmet. It's HJC CL-SP Type O. That's what I wear, and I swear when I switched to a pink helmet (from plain white), drivers became more cautious and courteous. I'll take the sexism if it makes my commute less stressful.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Never heard of this brand before.

Besides that......

Don't buy a helmet online unless you have tried it on in person. You don't want a huge helmet that will be useless to you.
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

jfrost2 wrote:Don't buy a helmet online unless you have tried it on in person. You don't want a huge helmet that will be useless to you.
Actually,
Just make sure they have a good return policy. Despite my best estimates, a helmet I just bought from Motorcycle Superstore was a tad too big. Had to pay 6.99 for return shipping, but that was all. I had free shipping in the first place, I had no restocking fee, the helmet was 159.00 off and I got 10% off with my Modern Buddy discount. Have returned the helmet and received new one, and even with return shipping, I am still under $100 for a new modular helmet.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

full face ftw
Angela

Post by Angela »

I will order from someplace that will do a return/exchange or try and find one on a store.

I don't want graphics on mine so finding a plain pink one has been a little hard.

Thanks for the suggestions peeps. Good lookin' out!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I understand both wanting to have a solid color helmet in your choice of color and not wanting to shell out hundreds of dollars for a lid. Unfortunately, getting a good helmet in solid pink might prove difficult. I'd be wary of this Daytona, though. It's a no-name brand at a price that you can find a much higher-quality helmet for if you're a little patient and look for closeouts and sales.

You might want to search or inquire over at scooterdiva.com.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
sotied

Post by sotied »

Got my GF a FF pink solid helmet last August or September. I just looked at it when I put the scooter away today but can't remember the brand. I think I got it from Motorcycle Superstore.

Back shortly. Will search my email receipts.

GOT IT.

It was from Leather Up and it was a Ladies Advance Hawk Solid Pink Glossy Full Face Motorcycle Helmet.

Wasn't super expensive but was DOT and fits her perfectly.
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com
sotied

Post by sotied »

Still for sale....

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Hawk-Helmets ... 53723.html

Hope that helps.
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com
Angela

Post by Angela »

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

A much better option! A lot of shops carry, HJC, too so you can try for fit or see if they can get you one at that price.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Yep, that's the one I have. It has a graphic but it's subtle and not raised to the touch. I have found HJCs run a bit small (or maybe I have a smaller head than I thought) because I wear a size Small. This model is discontinued so you may not find it at a local shop. I would try the HJC CL model on (CL-15 is the same as the CL-SP) at a shop and let that guide you in sizing. Good luck! Think Pink!
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

http://www.scootpink.com/category/helmets/

Crystal knows pink helmets better than anyone.

Yes, don't go by brand or price or graphics, find one that fits you right and is as comfortable as you can afford.

That said, I like Scorpions a lot, they're a good value for the money.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Angela

Post by Angela »

illnoise wrote:

Bb.
I love that band but get a lot of crap for it.

Oh wait.......

:wink:
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Angela wrote:
illnoise wrote:

Bb.
I love that band but get a lot of crap for it.

Oh wait.......

:wink:
Here I am to rock you like a hurricane and put in a +! for Scorpion Helmets. I got this Scorpion EXO 400 and I can't say enough about it. For only $100 (only some colors available at that price) it's an amazing value. Here's one that is very graphicy but might fit your taste (it's pink and also in the $100 lot).

The EXO 400 gets great reviews almost universally.
Angela

Post by Angela »

Went and tried on a few FF helmets. Felt a little claustrophobic in a few. I did find I liked the HJC the most.

I am looking forward to eating fewer bugs.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I've never worn any helmet besides full face, and I am glad. The first few times HUGE bugs splat and died on my face shield scared me. I could feel the impact to my helmet against my face. I wouldn't want to experience that with a half helmet...

I'm sure 3/4 would be similar since most 3/4 helmets have face shields too.
Angela

Post by Angela »

jfrost2 wrote:I've never worn any helmet besides full face, and I am glad. The first few times HUGE bugs splat and died on my face shield scared me. I could feel the impact to my helmet against my face. I wouldn't want to experience that with a half helmet...

I'm sure 3/4 would be similar since most 3/4 helmets have face shields too.
I have a 3/4. I get bug splat all the time and stuff I like to call "mystery moisture". So over having to wash my mouth parts whenever I get to my destination...it's hell on my makeup!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Angela wrote:So over having to wash my mouth parts whenever I get to my destination...it's hell on my makeup!
Ew. :rofl:

The Ventura gang on our ride last weekend rode through a swarm of bees while going by some fields.
Angela

Post by Angela »

ericalm wrote:
Angela wrote:So over having to wash my mouth parts whenever I get to my destination...it's hell on my makeup!
Ew. :rofl:

The Ventura gang on our ride last weekend rode through a swarm of bees while going by some fields.
I freak out about bees because I'm allergic.

See all the more reason for FF helmet.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Didn't someone get a bee stuck in their FF helmet or was that on Easy Peasy?
Angela

Post by Angela »

KRUSTYburger wrote:Didn't someone get a bee stuck in their FF helmet or was that on Easy Peasy?
Duuuuuude don't tell me these things.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

KRUSTYburger wrote:Didn't someone get a bee stuck in their FF helmet or was that on Easy Peasy?
Not on our ride (that I know of). But it happens.
TVB

Post by TVB »

I caught a bee in my mouth on my bicycle a few years ago. I spit him out, but got stung on the lip. I had shots as a kid for bee allergy, and my allergist had said I was desensitised enough to handle a single sting, but I took a double dose of the antihistamine I was carrying for hayfever and rode to the ER just to be safe. I ended up with a big lip for a while, but otherwise it was less traumatic than the time I hit a woodchuck.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

That was Keys, and it happened to him years ago. I vividly remember him telling this story on ModBud because it frightened the heck outta me!!! :oops:
ModBud #442
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

The first time I tried on a full face helmet, I had just ordered one from NewEnough.com and it arrived at my office. I had a near-panic-attack due to claustrophobia. I couldn't pry that sucker off my head fast enough, lemme tell you! :oops:

I soldiered on, because I had promised my dad I would always wear a FF helmet. Turns out, I don't feel closed in at all when I put on my helmet outdoors, which was quite a relief. The first few weeks, I waited until I had rolled my scooter out to the driveway to don my helmet. Now I can even put my helmet on inside my garage, no worries!
ModBud #442
Angela

Post by Angela »

polianarchy wrote:The first time I tried on a full face helmet, I had just ordered one from NewEnough.com and it arrived at my office. I had a near-panic-attack due to claustrophobia. I couldn't pry that sucker off my head fast enough, lemme tell you! :oops:

I soldiered on, because I had promised my dad I would always wear a FF helmet. Turns out, I don't feel closed in at all when I put on my helmet outdoors, which was quite a relief. The first few weeks, I waited until I had rolled my scooter out to the driveway to don my helmet. Now I can even put my helmet on inside my garage, no worries!
I had a mini panic attack when I put it on in the store. My back got all hot and I couldn't get it off. The store guy noticed I was freaking out and told me I would get use to it. I am okay with the face shield up, when its down I panic. I'll get over it.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

I can sympathize with ya. I tend not to put the face shield down until I'm up to around 10-15 mph and put it up when I stop (including lights). Makes me a little twitchy when it's down, but knowing what I'm NOT getting in my face helps alleviate my nerves quite a bit.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

polianarchy wrote:The first time I tried on a full face helmet... I had a near-panic-attack due to claustrophobia. I couldn't pry that sucker off my head fast enough, lemme tell you!
I am waiting for my first FF helmet to arrive tomorrow and have similar concerns. Recently I tried adding just a simple windscreen to my scooter and I took it off in a matter of moments because I felt so cramped behind it. I hope I do better with the helmet. My biggest concern is that I will miss the wind in my face so much it will affect my enjoyment of the ride...

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

FF 4 Life. :atgatt:
oryx

Post by oryx »

what bothered me most about my FF when i first tried it on, was the reflections of my face in the shield. i didn't know how i wouldn't go crossed-eye or not be distracted by it when i would be on the scoot.

i guess i just got used to it, because it doesn't bother me while riding, i don't even notice it.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I got a bee stuck in my half-helmet ear flap once. Luckily I didn't get stung (it probably stung the leather ear flap) but I never wore a half-helmet again.

3/4 are pretty good at protecting you from pebbles and bugs, but useless for dust. And not much good if you land face-down, I'm not comfortable riding w/o that chin bar.

And again, with everyone (including me) telling you scorpion is great, it's useless if it doesn't fit your head shape or size, you gotta try a bunch on first and see what's right for your head shape. For my first full-face, I just bought one and wore it for three years, then for the next one I did a little more research and tried some on and realized what I was missing as far as proper fit and comfort and ventilation. A $500 helmet might not be any safer than a $150 helmet (if both meet the same specs) but it's almost always a lot more comfortable, and usually more compact, and better-looking, and better made, so if you ride a lot, it may be worth the extra cash.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

illnoise wrote:... 3/4 are pretty good at protecting you from pebbles and bugs, but useless for dust. And not much good if you land face-down...
Exactly the reason I've got a FF coming (I wear a 3/4 now). I was reading the stats in Proficient Motorcycling of where in a crash first contact with the road is most often made, and it is the jaw line. That's all the info I need. Happily Motorcycle Superstore was having a kick-ass helmet sale right when I learned all this. :whew:

Angela

Post by Angela »

I tried a few one and the one siobhan mentioned I liked the most. I panicked less in it and I guess I have a big head and lots of hair because so many feel tight.

I appreciate all the feedback. It helps. I'm just upset the special Motorhead helmet made me freak out (so tight). I love me some Lemmy! I'd throw down $200 for that.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
polianarchy wrote:The first time I tried on a full face helmet... I had a near-panic-attack due to claustrophobia. I couldn't pry that sucker off my head fast enough, lemme tell you!
I am waiting for my first FF helmet to arrive tomorrow and have similar concerns. Recently I tried adding just a simple windscreen to my scooter and I took it off in a matter of moments because I felt so cramped behind it. I hope I do better with the helmet. My biggest concern is that I will miss the wind in my face so much it will affect my enjoyment of the ride...
Took my first ride in my new FF helmet today. A KBC-VR2. I have to say I really, really like it. It's silver with a dark black visor, looks like the Silver Stig :) Really comfortable, plenty of air, and best of all I didn't feel claustrophobic in the least.

The only thing that is a drag is that it doesn't fit in either my pet carrier or my topcase. Anyone else have that problem?

Tricia

Post by Tricia »

Oh! Take your D-ring and hook it onto the little knobby-do underneath your seat, than close your seat on top of it......if that makes any sense. (Right by the hinges in the front.)
Ventura County Scooter Club
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Tricia wrote:Oh! Take your D-ring and hook it onto the little knobby-do underneath your seat, than close your seat on top of it......if that makes any sense. (Right by the hinges in the front.)
The "knobby-do"... Damn Tricia, why do you always have to get so freakin' technical on me!!! I'm just a man!!!

[ :) That's totally what I did. I've just been spoiled always getting my 3/4 into the pet carrier}

Tricia

Post by Tricia »

Zac says, "You know, the thing next to the knobby-don't!"
Har-de-har-har. :nerd:
Ventura County Scooter Club
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

I just skimmed the posts but DOT ratings don't mean crap, make sure whatever you buy is snell approved
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

ScooterTrash wrote:I just skimmed the posts but DOT ratings don't mean crap, make sure whatever you buy is snell approved
Yup. For some info on helmet ratings and buying a helmet, check out our handy guide:
topic4951.html
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

If your helmet doesn't have a nifty quick release system for the strap, I heartily endorse <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Echo-Helmet-Quick ... CX46">This little bit of awesomeness</a>. I switch back and forth between my AVG Blade (3/4) and KBC Modular and the one downside to the larger helmet is the D-ring strap. This little beauty makes putting the helmet on and taking it off 3 times faster and WAY more convenient.

You can get them cheaper if you look around, that Amazon link was just the most readily accessible link.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
teacherquinn

Post by teacherquinn »

Good luck with your search! I wear a Nolan modular and have a full-face as well. But for a run to the market or post office here in my little town I sometimes pop on my Metro Scooter helmet. VERY comfortable and they come in PINK! Price is low so you may want one just because the price is right. I don't know anything about the dealer in the link but I wanted to show you a picture of the Metro.

http://store.dsrpowersports.com/metro.html
Linda
Vice President
Vespa Club of America
Angela

Post by Angela »

Lostmycage wrote:If your helmet doesn't have a nifty quick release system for the strap, I heartily endorse <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Echo-Helmet-Quick ... CX46">This little bit of awesomeness</a>. I switch back and forth between my AVG Blade (3/4) and KBC Modular and the one downside to the larger helmet is the D-ring strap. This little beauty makes putting the helmet on and taking it off 3 times faster and WAY more convenient.

You can get them cheaper if you look around, that Amazon link was just the most readily accessible link.
The boyfriend and I just got 2 from Motorsport Scooters (end commercial) and they are awesome!
Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Angela wrote:
Lostmycage wrote:If your helmet doesn't have a nifty quick release system for the strap, I heartily endorse <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Echo-Helmet-Quick ... CX46">This little bit of awesomeness</a>. I switch back and forth between my AVG Blade (3/4) and KBC Modular and the one downside to the larger helmet is the D-ring strap. This little beauty makes putting the helmet on and taking it off 3 times faster and WAY more convenient.

The boyfriend and I just got 2 from Motorsport Scooters (end commercial) and they are awesome!
I'm borrowing the helmet and scooter of a friend. The helmet really sucks though. If after test riding for a couple weeks I decide to buy the scooter, I'll definitely go there and pick up another one. I'm thinking a full face model.
Angela

Post by Angela »

Derrick wrote:
Angela wrote:

I'm borrowing the helmet and scooter of a friend. The helmet really sucks though. If after test riding for a couple weeks I decide to buy the scooter, I'll definitely go there and pick up another one. I'm thinking a full face model.
They only have 1 kind of FF helmet.
Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Angela wrote:
Derrick wrote:
Angela wrote: The boyfriend and I just got 2 from Motorsport Scooters (end commercial) and they are awesome!
Is it a decent one?
Angela

Post by Angela »

Derrick wrote:
Angela wrote:
Derrick wrote: I'm borrowing the helmet and scooter of a friend. The helmet really sucks though. If after test riding for a couple weeks I decide to buy the scooter, I'll definitely go there and pick up another one. I'm thinking a full face model.
Is it a decent one?
My little brother (the best little brother on the planet!!!) has it and he is satisfied. Its not pink, but acceptable.
Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Angela wrote:
Derrick wrote:
Angela wrote: They only have 1 kind of FF helmet.
Is it a decent one?
My little brother (the best little brother on the planet!!!) has it and he is satisfied. Its not pink, but acceptable.
Cool. I'm about 3 mins from Motorsport Scooters and will go by and check it out later today I think.
Angela

Post by Angela »

Derrick wrote: Cool. I'm about 3 mins from Motorsport Scooters and will go by and check it out later today I think.
Catfish should be there today, he's cool. If you bring them baked goods, they get really happy.
Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Angela wrote:
Derrick wrote: Cool. I'm about 3 mins from Motorsport Scooters and will go by and check it out later today I think.
Catfish should be there today, he's cool. If you bring them baked goods, they get really happy.
Went by there today as you suggested and first thing I was noticed was how friendly everyone was. They answered all my questions and gave me a very warm welcome to the store and to scootering in general. They looked at the scooter I was riding and gave it a clean bill of health should I decide to buy it. Down side though is the inability to transfer the warranty. That sucks big time since the scooter is only a few months old. Have to decide what makes more since. But in any case, thanks for steering me in their direction.