Buddy's faults?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Drumwoulf

Buddy's faults?

Post by Drumwoulf »

The recent Scoot! magazine gave the Buddy a generally good review.
However in it's "cons" section it also said that the Buddy drags it's center stand easily during leaned-over left turns, and that the front forks 'clunk' on rough roads.

Having never seen such complaints here on this board, does what Scoot! says have any truth to it, or were their writers just looking for something to fill up white space?

Thanks,
~drummer~ ">})
(who hasn't gotten his Buddy yet in ~cold~ NJ...) :wink:
pesqueeb

Center Stand

Post by pesqueeb »

I've shaved some of my center stand down on some hard lefts. It'll get your heart thumpin', sounds like a train wreck. As to the other complaint, never been a problem for me.
Take off the tin foil hat and let the voices drive for a minute. It'll be fine.
Keys

Post by Keys »

It CAN be done...you have to work at it though. "Easily" is not a term I would have used. If you are barging through a left-hander and say, hit a bump or dip in the center of it, then yeah, it'll drag.

As for clunking front-end, after 4800 miles I can't remember it ever doing that.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

I've never had a problem with either.
rajron

Post by rajron »

My center stand has been shaved quit a bit from all the scraps it gets. I don’t find it rubbing so much because of the steep leans on turns – its more like during a turn if there is a bump then the stand drops and starts scraping – in our city we have many an uneven roads so the stand always scraps – its harmless but alerting – looks cool in the dark with sparks an all. – I find the scrapping occurring more on right hand turns than left - maybe its becasue I sit far back on the seat and the bike drops
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

I've scraped the center stand a few times, but I've never had a problem with clunking... :?

And I also agree that it isn't something that's done 'easily', I mean, you've got to have the Buddy leaned over pretty far to make that hapen. Inexperienced riders will spend some time riding before the do it for the first time. :wink:
Huh? What just happened?
louie

Post by louie »

rajron wrote:My center stand has been shaved quit a bit from all the scraps it gets. I don’t find it rubbing so much because of the steep leans on turns – its more like during a turn if there is a bump then the stand drops and starts scraping – in our city we have many an uneven roads so the stand always scraps – its harmless but alerting – looks cool in the dark with sparks an all. – I find the scrapping occurring more on right hand turns than left - maybe its becasue I sit far back on the seat and the bike drops
I think I have what you're describing. I'm in a part of town with lots of patches and holes with patches and roads with holes and...When I hit one the bike drops, then metal zings (or maybe it's more zips) on something. At first it alarmed me but no one else seemed worried, said it was the center stand thumping on its spring. Does that explain when in a turn it seems to happen easier and sometimes the buzz drags on after the bump is over?
rajron

Post by rajron »

Maybe we have weak springs.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I drive on some pretty rough roads, weigh almost 200 pounds, and I've never had the front fork do anything like described.

I have scraped the stand on a turn or two, but you have to really lean hard to do it.

If that's the most they can come up with to say about cons on our Buddy, I'd say it did pretty well.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
louie

Post by louie »

rajron wrote:Maybe we have weak springs.
hmm, curious. I'm new so I don't know what the bumps, feelings and noises are. That's why i want a machanic i can talk to, not just a service dept worker taking an order (too harsh?). But i swear if i had to discribe what i think it is, i'd say it was the shock, that is if it's somewhere back, under, behind me.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

The Buddy definitely isn't perfect, but these are two really petty things to pick on. Center stands drag. not just on the Buddy, but pretty much universally. If your bike has a center stand, chances are that's the first thing that will drag during hard cornering. Might the Buddy have a tad less clearance than other bikes? Maybe, but you really do need to be leaned far over to scrape. On the other hand, the fact that we get side and center stands at the Bud's price is amazing.

My take on the Buddys suspension is that you get what you pay for. It would be mighty hard to engineer fully adjustable forks and shocks at the Bud's price point. Yet, for the low price of $2500 (give or take), we get a modern suspension with telescopic forks and a pretty slick monoshock setup in back. Euro and Asian bikes are set up for the "average" Euro/Asian rider and that mythical beast's weight matches my weight of 150. If you weigh more, you might bottom out some times. If you weigh less, the Bud's ride might be a little too firm. For me, the suspension is pleasingly firm with very little dive under hard braking. I've yet to hit the stops on my rear shock and have come nowhere near compressing the forks.

For me, the Buddy's honest faults include its awkwardness when riding 2 up, its lack of foot space for even my smallish size 8 feet, the lack of a locking glovebox (although I like the cupholder) and the sheer amount of plastic on the bike. But at $1500 less than an LX150, the Buddy is what it is: a hell of a bargain.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
louie

Post by louie »

I'm not complaining or picking. Not a bit. In my sweet life (and i'm not being sarcastic) i've got little to complain about and the buddy's not one on them (dealerships maybe another story). Since i'm new i don't know what i'm hearing, feeling. I'm just curious. The other bike in our back yard is a 76 FXE, now that's got lots of noises and shakes and that's the way the other half likes it.
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

Scraping...yes
Clunking...no
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Can you spare a bro a quote???

Post by jrsjr »

Hey Scoot! Readers, can somebody do me a giant favor please and quote the section of the Buddy review where they say the fork "clunks." I bought that issue and lost it somewhere before I got a chance to read it. ($#@!) Also, could you find the name of the author of that article? Was it April or Josh or a stringer or who? If somebody would post the quote here, I would be much obliged.

Thanks!

P.S. Modern Buddy forks should not go "clunk." Even with a big guy like me riding. Even hitting a small pothole. You can make any fork malfunction if you hit a big enough pothole hard enough, but what you folks are describing in that article sounds odd to me.
Last edited by jrsjr on Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rajron

Post by rajron »

I think this is the article, you can find the article at Genuine Scooter site, the main page – center “Buddy Review” not sure where it talks about clunking but he does mention center stand, brakes and heavy weight. Is this the article?
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

rajron wrote:I think this is the article, you can find the article at Genuine Scooter site, the main page – center “Buddy Review” not sure where it talks about clunking but he does mention center stand, brakes and heavy weight. Is this the article?
If I'm reading the previous posts correctly, the "clunking forks/center stand" article was from Scoot! The review referenced at the Genuine site is Bryce's review of the Buddy. I don't recall Bryce having issues with clunking or dragging.

While I'm thinking about it, one other point where I find some disagreement with Bryce is on the Bud's brakes. The rear drum is weak as one might expect but the front disk on my Buddy is powerful and the feel at the lever is pretty great. Very progressive, strong and I know exactly when my wheel might start to lock. I can make safe, short panic stops with a minimum of drama. I can't ask for much more from my brakes.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
rajron

Post by rajron »

I don’t get Scoot so I didn’t read that article – as for the front brakes I also think they are OK on the Buddy – in my case after bleeding them the worked much better.
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

The hardest thing about reviewing a bike is saying something about one specific unit that will apply to all of them. I gave the rear drum a bit of adjustment and was happy with it. The front on the first Buddy I rode didn't seem to offer as much in the way of feel as I normally like. Subsequent ones did. Perhaps I got used to it. Perhaps the occasional one could use the system bled, like rajron's. I really cannot offer any real explanation.

Scoot! had their test unit much longer than I had mine. I had mine only a couple weeks, and I believe they had theirs for a few months. I got comfortable with mine, but not quite enough to slide a knee. With time, perhaps I would have made a few sparks fly between the stand and the asphalt.
- Bryce
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

I have scraped the center stand with very "sport bike" type turns. I thought I was about to scrape the edges of the foot board! I have "klunked!" Heavy braking coming up to worn intersections has caused "klunks," but I don't know where the noise is coming from. It could be the center stand bouncing on the spring, the front fender "booming" some way, or it could be the forks.

It doesn't matter to me. I'm keeping my Budd!

Elm Creek Smith
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I scraped center stand my first time out on the Buddy and was not, in my opinion, excessively leaning. I don't know if that's a "fault" as much as just the way it is—I would assume all bikes have their differences and require some adjusting and accomodation.

My issues with the Buddy: Size and comfort, as has been mentioned. Also, the throttle and handling are a bit twitchy. I prefer the Vespa's handling, but the Buddy's acceleration. I've had no problem with the suspension, but haven't ridden it into a big pothole or anything like that.

And could the put some kind of flip-top, locking lid on the glove bucket? ;)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Shellee

Post by Shellee »

I noticed the center stand scraping right after I got my Buddy. Not only from leans, but just from going over the speed bumps in my townhouse complex. If you stand to the side of the bike and look down, you can see there's not a whole lot of clearance between the ground and the stand. I just have to ride carefully over those bumps. I still love my Buddy (Betty) though!

Jrsjr... good to have you back!
~ Shellee
Genuine Buddy 170
www.scooterdiva.com
GalacticFattPatt

twice

Post by GalacticFattPatt »

it happens on one turn that I take to fast and there is a drainage dip in the road. Other than that, it sounds like someone was paid off to give another bike a better review, and was just so taken with how awesome the buddy is, they had to come up with something so slight to make it sound bad. Sheesh, don't call me a fan boy! :P
Evil will always prevail, cause Good is just dumb!
louie

Post by louie »

ericalm wrote:My issues with the Buddy: Size and comfort, as has been mentioned. Also, the throttle and handling are a bit twitchy. I prefer the Vespa's handling, but the Buddy's acceleration. I've had no problem with the suspension, but haven't ridden it into a big pothole or anything like that.
;)
I'm 5'2" and I am tickled that i found an option, period. Most scooters over 50cc have higher seats. The buddy fits. The mirrors fit. Ergonomically it is spot on,but not so for my 5'11' other.
I've noticed from stop to start isn't as smooth as with a clutch (friction zone), sometimes i'll use the back brake like a friction zone. Up to 50 mph (at least) the handling, to me, is delightful. I can lean and turn with as little input as using core muscles, (think pilates and center body strength).
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

louie wrote:(think pilates and center body strength).
These concepts are foreign to me. :)

But the does (further) show that a lot of how the scoot's perceived depends on the rider. Unfortunately, not all dealers allow test rides, but that's the best way to know how it feels.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
rajron

The Scoot! article

Post by rajron »

I hope you can read it - its in jpg

Here is the Scoot! article:
http://www.geocities.com/rajronscoot/scopg1.jpg (pg1)
http://www.geocities.com/rajronscoot/scopg2.jpg (pg2)
brat

Post by brat »

in the end they posted the two minuses on the Buddy were the seat latch and the center stand scraping. I have to agree with them. But if that is all the is really wrong with this scooter, boy what a winner!!!!

Susan
ebcspace

buddy faults ?

Post by ebcspace »

i'd have to agree that you do need to be aware of the potential to scrape the center stand... can't have too much fun on those left turns, or you might catch a scoop of road with the center stand.

as for the suspension, yes, if you get caught on an uncivilized road with lots of bumps and texture, you will be very much in the moment, one with the bumps.

yet you just can't beat the personality of the buddy: agile, quick, fun, with it's good looks and friendliness to strangers.

the fit is great for less tall scooterists.

my wife got on her future buddy to be at NOHO Scooters, and instantly fell in love with the fit and feel, after not being able to grow into the Vespa ET-4, despite fitting it with a low-profile sport seat, and coaching sessions to suggest that putting the heavier steel-body scooter on the stand is simply mind over matter.

i'm smitten with the buddy, and though relative to riding the Vespa, there was a short period of getting used to the different fit of the buddy, i'd take the buddy out for a ride or commute any day (twist my arm, please !)

thanks for posting the article, rajron !

:wink:
scoot on!
soundofsingles

Post by soundofsingles »

I scrape the center stand often enough that I've thought about removing it and just using the side stand (although I haven't looked into how easy that would be). Granted, I use to ride a sports bike and am use to fairly hard leans, but I routinely drag the center stand on a couple of left hand, up hill turns on my commute. I don't mind the scapes. I'm more worried about digging into the tarpac and crashing.

By reading the rest of the posts here, it's pretty clear that this is only an issue for few of us and shouldn't distract any normal person from buying a Buddy.
:)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

soundofsingles wrote:I scrape the center stand often enough that I've thought about removing it and just using the side stand (although I haven't looked into how easy that would be). Granted, I use to ride a sports bike and am use to fairly hard leans, but I routinely drag the center stand on a couple of left hand, up hill turns on my commute. I don't mind the scapes. I'm more worried about digging into the tarpac and crashing.

By reading the rest of the posts here, it's pretty clear that this is only an issue for few of us and shouldn't distract any normal person from buying a Buddy.
:)
The problem with side stands (for scoots) is that a nice gust of wind is enough to blow your scoot over. Put a windshield on it and you may as well just lay it on its side when you park!*

*pure hyperbole, folks
Shellee

Post by Shellee »

The center stand is certainly not enough of an issue to deter people from buying a Buddy. It's just a quirk of this particular model. All scooters have their own quirks. After awhile you automatically adjust your turns to allow for it and it's not a big deal.

The Buddy is still the best bang for the buck!
~ Shellee
Genuine Buddy 170
www.scooterdiva.com
sotied

Post by sotied »

In 10,000+ miles, I've scraped the center stand three times (twice in the same rotary) while driving and another four or five times over speed bumps, and every time I put the bike away in my basement (it hits the threshold to the basement door which opens to the outside).

I've had the clunk a couple times, but can't tell what it's from. The times it's happened were when I've looked away for a second and then turned back to see my front wheel going into a pothole or bump. Or if I've had my hand covering the front brake and had the bike go over some uneven pavement and then come down hard, causing me to squeeze the front brake a bit while the nose dives.

I think some of the center stand scraping by other folks could be from the spring getting weak or gummed up with dirt and outside elements/rust. I keep my bike inside, so the center stand snaps up nicely when it's put away. But I can imagine a bumpy road might cause it to bounce off the pavement.
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

Have not had any problems with the Buddy. 7500 miles and no center stand scrapes though I do ride mostly in the mountains. My sissy stripes are about 1/2" wide, I don't know how that compares with the average.

I weigh in at just under 130 lbs and I do try to hang off in the turns, so those may be factors.

You can also raise the center stand slightly by shaving the rubber bump stops. I think I cut mine in half when I did it.
mhardgrove

Post by mhardgrove »

I have a clunk from the front end hitting bumps, then again I'm 275lbs. Wonder if the test rider was heavy?
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

My Buddy 50 clunks. I weigh 130ish.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Well, to pitch-in my $.02 worth (to this thread resurrected from 2007!), I have scraped my center stand and I also have a clunking from the front end. I weigh around 175.

I have cut down the rubber stopper on the center stand so it rides higher now. The clunking bothers me the most. I almost think it's the plastics hitting on bigger bumps.

I have a bone-stock front end. Wonder if the NCY forks handle this stuff better? I haven't upgraded those parts 'cuz those front forks are expensive!
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Keys

Post by Keys »

Don't know if it's the same forks as on the Rattler 110, but on the Rat, I pulled the springs out of the forks, drained the oil, used a good quality 15 weight oil and put the springs back in with the tightly wound end down in the oil. I then used a spacer of about 5 mm thick on top of the spring. Buttoned it all down and it felt like a new bike. Total cost? About 6 bucks for the oil. A wee bit cheaper than new forks.

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

and here we just thought that the center stand scraping meant you were leaning properly in a turn. I have not decided to do the mod to stop this as adding an adjustable rear shock allowed us to raise the body enough that we have not dragged the centerstand since and I kinda like the stiffer ride. :oops:
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

A fine machine and yes the seat latch is a bit weak... Maybe. R
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the seat latch. It just needs a little oil and adjustment. Something I always did before a Buddy left our showroom
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

OK I'll check it, I ride my friends Buddy almost as often as she does. R
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

still shifting wrote:OK I'll check it, I ride my friends Buddy almost as often as she does. R
Latch adjuster is on the back of the ignition switch behind the nose cover