I'm an addict

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

Come on Angela. Cheer up! There's plenty of shiny new ones at the corner of 30th and El Cajon Blvd. :wink:

I'll even will be there today to have my first service on my new HD.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
Angela

Post by Angela »

pcbikedude wrote:Come on Angela. Cheer up! There's plenty of shiny new ones at the corner of 30th and El Cajon Blvd. :wink:

I'll even will be there today to have my first service on my new HD.
No money. All my insurance money has to go to my surgery on my collarbone.

I'll get another scooter. I don't know what kind yet but give me a few months to recover. The boyfriend needs to get his vintage Vespa running and that will be nice for a while.

Insurance is buying me a nice new Shoei helmet that I am absolutely in love with. So I will be ready when its time!
walky08

Bikes and aliens

Post by walky08 »

Lastyearsyou wrote:I don't even have my scooter yet and I feel the same way! I used to check craigslist 40 times a day for a scooter. Now that mine in is on order I check MB incessantly instead. Only 11 more days until I get my scooter!!

Tell me you had dreams before buying it, because lately I have had several dreams at the rate of 2 per week where I am driving or lured into driving a bike. Very entertaining dreams that also include aliens. Ha, ha, ha, Am I crazy???
Kaos

Re: Bikes and aliens

Post by Kaos »

walky08 wrote:
Lastyearsyou wrote:I don't even have my scooter yet and I feel the same way! I used to check craigslist 40 times a day for a scooter. Now that mine in is on order I check MB incessantly instead. Only 11 more days until I get my scooter!!

Tell me you had dreams before buying it, because lately I have had several dreams at the rate of 2 per week where I am driving or lured into driving a bike. Very entertaining dreams that also include aliens. Ha, ha, ha, Am I crazy???
No, thats a normal side effect of drinking the scooter coolade ;)
walky08

Post by walky08 »

Super, let's advertsie it.
holden

Post by holden »

Had my first wet ride today. After a huge thunderstorm. the streets were still wet and the rain had stopped, driving into far off thunder. Beautiful.

It felt great to ride home, my friends were sort of mocking me when i was taking off "paid way more and doesn't go much faster."

They decided not to ride there 49cc Mopeds (that break every week) because of the rain.
The thing about it is, I drive 12 miles in and don't have to worry about death from driving too slow. I don't have to take apart a carburetor every wednesday. I can do 60 where most of them barely break 30. I can carry stuff and another person... 2 year warranty and 2 years road side assistance, I look awesome and I pretty much have one of the best vehicles possible, and your ride sucks, so F%^& off friends. Lol...
just needed to vent a bit.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

All I can say is: My poor, patient, tolerant, indulgent wife.

I got a scooter because it was something that got under my skin about 20 years ago and just wouldn't let me be. I had to have one. Took me a couple decades to finally make it happen, though.

I then started spending a lot of time on ModernVespa, then became one of the first moderators here before eventually taking over the site. I started going to rallies and meeting other scooterists. I joined a Meetup group, only to take over as Organizer a few months later when the person who started it stepped down. We've been scheduling tons of rides and have a few months of summer left here in SoCal for more. Then I did my first long-distance ride, 1K miles round trip.

This morning, I was seriously considering doing an even longer-distance ride up to South Lake Tahoe for another rally in a couple weeks. (Can't go. Have other priorities at the moment.) I'm also considering a much longer ride in the future (Rt. 66, maybe?), am making preliminary plans to go to Amerivespa 2010, and am thinking of organizing a couple of events next year.

Then there are those back burner scooter-related projects that I still hope to get to someday.

Still, it seems the more I do and the more I'm involved, the more I want to do and the deeper I want to get involved.

Buying a scooter didn't get rid of that jones… It just made it worse and gave me a set of new ones to feed!

If you ever get a chance to do so, buy my wife a drink. She deserves it. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

ericalm wrote:If you ever get a chance to do so, buy my wife a drink. She deserves it. :)
:rofl: Done.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Irishrover

Post by Irishrover »

I didn't realise until I stumbled across this forum that you guys state side would be so enthusiastic about scoots, it's so refreshing to hear. I had a picture in mind that you would all be into muscle bikes and Harleys. visited Florida back in the 80's, but never saw one scoot whilst there.

Here's a nice one to wet the appetite.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Irishrover wrote:I didn't realise until I stumbled across this forum that you guys state side would be so enthusiastic about scoots, it's so refreshing to hear. I had a picture in mind that you would all be into muscle bikes and Harleys. visited Florida back in the 80's, but never saw one scoot whilst there.

There's a fair amount of Harleys over here, but honestly most of us scooter people think they're kinda silly. They're super expensive and nothing really special beyond a name....
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Irishrover wrote:I didn't realise until I stumbled across this forum that you guys state side would be so enthusiastic about scoots, it's so refreshing to hear. I had a picture in mind that you would all be into muscle bikes and Harleys. visited Florida back in the 80's, but never saw one scoot whilst there.

Damn, that makes the Dragsters and Derbi racers I've seen look pretty wimpy!

The scooter culture here is nothing like in Europe or Asia. The old school mod types have been around a few decades, but the new breed of scooterist in the US is a different sort than what we've seen in previous "scooter booms" ('60s, '80s) here or the types of enthusiasts we know of from overseas. It's a much more diverse group, for one thing. Hopefully, we can sustain the interest and keep scootering alive longer than was the case in the past.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…