Rattling noise after installing Prima pipe...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ZQ8 Blazer

Rattling noise after installing Prima pipe...

Post by ZQ8 Blazer »

It just started doing this and all I've done is installed the pipe. I didn't follow the instructions to the "T" I swapped the short and long spacers(pieces that put a space between the pipe and black exhaust bracket). The two bolts are tight and so is the black bracket. I haven't tuned it yet. It has 500 miles on it.

It does it while moving with the engine running and when I shut the engine off while it's moving, but not when I roll it back and forth.

The rattle is coming from the back and sorta sounds like the seat is loose and rattling, but I'm 100% sure it's not the seat.

Any suggestions on what this could be?
-Justin-
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

the horsepower being unleashed from your engine. :twisted:

I have no idea. something sounds loose.
ZQ8 Blazer

Post by ZQ8 Blazer »

I wished
-Justin-
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Did you turn both bolts evenly when installing the pipe? Was anything accidentally inside of the pipe at the time of install? What type of material is the rattling sound? Metal or plastic like sound?

Does the sound occur at idle? Or just when riding it? It doesnt make any sound when the engine is shut off and you rock the bike back and forth because the engine isnt running.
ZQ8 Blazer

Post by ZQ8 Blazer »

Did you turn both bolts evenly when installing the pipe? Was anything accidentally inside of the pipe at the time of install? What type of material is the rattling sound? Metal or plastic like sound?
Yes I did, nope, metal on metal or possibly metal on plastic.
Does the sound occur at idle? Or just when riding it?
Just when it's being ridden. I've gave it a lot of gas while it was on the centerstand and it didn't do it so it only does it when there is weight on the back end.
It doesnt make any sound when the engine is shut off and you rock the bike back and forth because the engine isnt running.
The sound isn't coming from the engine or I wouldn't have even tried doing that.[/quote]
-Justin-
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Could it be the center stand itself? If it did not rattle when you goosed it while on the stand, maybe that's something to look at. I do notice that there is more vibration to my scooter since installing the pipe.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

If you haven't tuned it yet, you're engine won't be running quite right. That's going to cause a good deal more vibration.

What was the reason behind swapping the spacers? That might be introducing unnecessary forces on the exhaust.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
ZQ8 Blazer

Post by ZQ8 Blazer »

Could it be the center stand itself? If it did not rattle when you goosed it while on the stand, maybe that's something to look at. I do notice that there is more vibration to my scooter since installing the pipe.
That could be a possibility.

If you haven't tuned it yet, you're engine won't be running quite right. That's going to cause a good deal more vibration.

What was the reason behind swapping the spacers? That might be introducing unnecessary forces on the exhaust.
Well....I kinda accidently swapped them when installing it. I know you told me I'd need another bolt and stuff, but this way I didn't and everything lines up right and doesn't touch. This might be causing the problem, but I honestly don't see how.

I'm going to tune it as soon as I get a day off which should be in another 3 weeks :shock:
-Justin-
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Nope, you use all the original bolts. The only thing that I mentioned is that the supplied nuts that came with mine didn't spin because there wasn't enough clearance on the inside curve to the header. I had to get some different nuts and lock washers.

Check all the bolts to make sure that they're tightened down good if you didn't use Locktite.

You're going to want to get it tuned sooner rather than later. Check the plug to get an idea of how it's doing so far.

The rattling could be an aftereffect of your spill earlier. Things to check would be the center stand and anything that might have come into contact with the ground.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
ZQ8 Blazer

Post by ZQ8 Blazer »

ok thanks a lot. I got off work today very early and it's pretty hot outside so I'm going to wait til this evening and see if I have the time to tune it. I'll check the bolts and center stand today no matter what
-Justin-
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

ZQ8 Blazer wrote:ok thanks a lot. I got off work today very early and it's pretty hot outside so I'm going to wait til this evening and see if I have the time to tune it. I'll check the bolts and center stand today no matter what
Check your license plate frame. Mine rattles a bit.
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
ZQ8 Blazer

Post by ZQ8 Blazer »

Ok I just got back from riding. I have noticed a kind of vibrating noise coming from the left hand(kickstand side) rear when I am stopped, put the front brakes on, and give it gas. When I let off the gas it does this. Sounds like I guess the variator spinning?

The clicking noise sounds kind of like a rock sounds when its stuck in your tire. The wheel has no side to side movement but when I rock it back and forth it has about 1/8" play in it. The clicking sounds like it's coming from the left hand side as well. Could this be mechanical? It only has 500 miles on it. When I go faster the sounds speeds up, when I go slower it slows down. It's always the same loudness(That's not the right word)

I've checked all the bolts back there, license plate area, kickstand, and centerstand
-Justin-
ZQ8 Blazer

Post by ZQ8 Blazer »

anyone?
-Justin-
ZQ8 Blazer

Post by ZQ8 Blazer »

Found it. License plate nipple rubbing the plate. If it comes out again I'm going to file it down some.(Thanks DJ Elliot)

Wheel nuts were slightly loose.
-Justin-
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

ZQ8 Blazer wrote:Found it. License plate nipple rubbing the plate. If it comes out again I'm going to file it down some.(Thanks DJ Elliot)

Wheel nuts were slightly loose.
No problem man. Mine does that too. It was a bit of a head scratcher for awhile here as well.
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve