Juicy Rumors and Voodoo Parts

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Kaos

Post by Kaos »

fretman wrote:
Kaos wrote:
jfrost2 wrote:...The 125 is more powerful than the 150 anyways, at take off at least...
...most people assume the 150 is faster just because it's bigger, so it likely come down to being a selling point.
This is from upthread a ways - I'm just wondering, why is the 125 faster than than the 150 at take off?
because the 125 has a longer stroke than the 150,
so it makes more torque at start.
Domino

Post by Domino »

fretman wrote:
Kaos wrote:
jfrost2 wrote:...The 125 is more powerful than the 150 anyways, at take off at least...
...most people assume the 150 is faster just because it's bigger, so it likely come down to being a selling point.
This is from upthread a ways - I'm just wondering, why is the 125 faster than than the 150 at take off?
Yeah, me too! Why's the 125 faster on take-off? This might actually make a difference in what scooter I buy when I actually get around to buying. Hubby just bought a red 125 and I like it a lot, it's off the line plenty fast enough for me. I don't care too much about top end...I just like the 150's because of the colors. :)
fretman

Post by fretman »

Kaos wrote:
fretman wrote:
Kaos wrote: ...most people assume the 150 is faster just because it's bigger, so it likely come down to being a selling point.
because the 125 has a longer stroke than the 150,
so it makes more torque at start.
So at what point will a stock 150 overtake a stock 125?
You know scooter is scooter!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Banned Intheknow.

I don't like banning people and we don't do it often here. For what it's worth, I was (mostly) joking in my original thread "calling him out." But he decided to be a dick about it and when I told him to mind his manners, he became a bigger dick about it.

Anyone who spends any time here should know I have no problem with anyone disagreeing with me or offering information that conflicts with mine. But whatever the case, members have to be respectful—not just to me, but to everyone else. ModernBuddy strives to maintain a higher standard of behavior than elsewhere online. That's one of the most important objectives here.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

You go Eric! :+!:

InTheKnow... personally I thought he/she/it was an arrogant SOB from the get go. And frankly, to me, anyone who names themselves "InTheKnow" really oughta tone it down some and be a little more, or a lot more, humble to start with. Even if they actually did know absolutely everything

Peace and love...
Last edited by Skootz Kabootz on Tue May 26, 2009 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

ericalm wrote:ModernBuddy strives to maintain a higher standard of behavior than elsewhere online. That's one of the most important objectives here.
And I thank you for that.
It's one reason why MB is so awesome - we're civil to each other.
so tough, so pink
Alex P

Post by Alex P »

Lostmycage wrote:
fretman wrote:
Kaos wrote: ...most people assume the 150 is faster just because it's bigger, so it likely come down to being a selling point.
Stock vs stock, with the same break in, it's not. Kaos's was faster because he broke his in a very specific way (and didn't leave it stock for too long).
And in reading reviews and talking to folks who have been on both scoots, even on the occasion the 125 is faster off the line, the ride on acceleration for the 150 is superior, and so is the top end (by a short bit). Again though, that's from what I've read, not personal experience.
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

Have you heard anything more on the rumors originally posted. More info . . .? Inquiring minds want to know.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Lostmycage wrote:
fretman wrote:
Stock vs stock, with the same break in, it's not. Kaos's was faster because he broke his in a very specific way (and didn't leave it stock for too long).
The 125 has a longer stroke crank which generates more torque. That's why it has faster take off than the 150. Both bikes are so similar though in the end.
Last edited by jfrost2 on Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

jfrost2 wrote:
Lostmycage wrote:
fretman wrote: This is from upthread a ways - I'm just wondering, why is the 125 faster than than the 150 at take off?
The 125 has a longer camshaft arm which generates more torque. That's why it has faster take off than the 150. Both bikes are so similar though in the end.
Hate to correct you, but its got a longer stroke crank which provides more low end torque than the shorter throw 150's. So yes it *IS* faster off the line than a 150(even stock) but the 150 has more mid-range acceleration due to it having a bigger displacement.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

If Genuine's rumored 270cc scooter will have a classic appearance, will it look like a Vespa or something else? Think of the possibilities (just, please, not like a Maico Mobil!).
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Kaos wrote:
jfrost2 wrote:
Lostmycage wrote: Stock vs stock, with the same break in, it's not. Kaos's was faster because he broke his in a very specific way (and didn't leave it stock for too long).
The 125 has a longer camshaft arm which generates more torque. That's why it has faster take off than the 150. Both bikes are so similar though in the end.
Hate to correct you, but its got a longer stroke crank which provides more low end torque than the shorter throw 150's. So yes it *IS* faster off the line than a 150(even stock) but the 150 has more mid-range acceleration due to it having a bigger displacement.
You know what's funny though, before I hit "Submit post" I sat there catching myself "was it camshaft....or stroke crank?" back and forth, back and forth, I even tried googling and searching in the forums, but I couldnt find it, so I just took a shot. It's been a while since anyone's brought it up, so I didnt remember off the top of my head anymore.

I edited to correct my original post. Thanks for the reminder Kaos.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

jfrost2 wrote:
Kaos wrote:
jfrost2 wrote: The 125 has a longer camshaft arm which generates more torque. That's why it has faster take off than the 150. Both bikes are so similar though in the end.
You know what's funny though, before I hit "Submit post" I sat there catching myself "was it camshaft....or stroke crank?" back and forth, back and forth, I even tried googling and searching in the forums, but I couldnt find it, so I just took a shot. It's been a while since anyone's brought it up, so I didnt remember off the top of my head anymore.

I edited to correct my original post. Thanks for the reminder Kaos.

The visual for the number of quotes on this is making me dizzy! :roll:
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

+1 :roll:
Roose Hurro

Free Choice...

Post by Roose Hurro »

jfrost2 wrote:Unless they decide to somehow re modify the 150, but I doubt it.

What I'd like to see is EFI fuel injected bubu's brought over as buddy's, both 125 and 150 models, and possibly the 175, not sure about that.
I wouldn't drop any engine size... 50, 125, 150,175, 270/300... all have a place in the market.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

Warning: <bump of 3 year old thread>

Not sure how I got here, was reading up on various scoots via search function: there is an insane wealth of info in these forums! Love it! Got a chuckle out of this thread. Exacty three years ago, "NO Blur, but a 270cc... and droppin' the 125s"

Heh. Figured some of you original posters might chuckle too! (...or sigh if you wanted the 300, if that's the case I apologize for the painful memory :))
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

I was one of those who eagerly awaited the arrival of the Genuine Classic Cruiser...now in the same category as the Messiah, Godot and the Great Pumpkin. Looks like I'll be hanging on to my GTS 250, at least until Vespa comes out with a GTS 350.
velobuff

Post by velobuff »

PeterC wrote: at least until Vespa comes out with a GTS 305.
Fixed that for ya :P

Considering your 250 is pretty damn close to 250cc's and a GTS 300 is only 30 cc's more - one that Piaggio would brand a "350" would probably be more of a 305... :roll:

I'm almost surprised that Buddy didn't follow Kymco and others and called their 170i a "200" :roll:
<a target="_blank" href=''https://velobuff.com/">My Blog</a>
Syd

Post by Syd »

PeterC wrote:I was one of those who eagerly awaited the arrival of the Genuine Classic Cruiser...now in the same category as the Messiah, Godot and the Great Pumpkin. Looks like I'll be hanging on to my GTS 250, at least until Vespa comes out with a GTS 350.
I'm still one of the hopeful. I'm so hopeful that I won't buy another HD200, or even a BV350. If I get to bored with the Fiddle I'll sell it and look for an old Riva 200 (not because of Larry Crowne, because they are available for pretty low bucks) and ride that for a while in hopes the Genuine Cruiser gets moved back to the front burner.

Maybe the few faithful could start a petition campaign for the Cruiser. If/when I get one, I'm naming it "Vapor". :lol:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

What ever happened to Kaos? I haven't seen him post in ages... :?:
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

Syd wrote:
PeterC wrote:I was one of those who eagerly awaited the arrival of the Genuine Classic Cruiser...now in the same category as the Messiah, Godot and the Great Pumpkin. Looks like I'll be hanging on to my GTS 250, at least until Vespa comes out with a GTS 350.
I'm still one of the hopeful. I'm so hopeful that I won't buy another HD200, or even a BV350. If I get to bored with the Fiddle I'll sell it and look for an old Riva 200 (not because of Larry Crowne, because they are available for pretty low bucks) and ride that for a while in hopes the Genuine Cruiser gets moved back to the front burner.

Maybe the few faithful could start a petition campaign for the Cruiser. If/when I get one, I'm naming it "Vapor". :lol:
Even though I couldn't hold out and got a GTS250, I'd sign that petition in a heartbeat. I loves me some consumer choice.
Alb brajn

Post by Alb brajn »

I would gladly sign. I've been looking at getting a bigger displacement to add to my garage.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

michelle_7728 wrote:What ever happened to Kaos? I haven't seen him post in ages... :?:
Yeah. A bunch of the former active posters are no longer posting. I hope they're OK and they're still riding.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

me too! seems like a lot of people are active for a year or two, then disappear. Maybe they just hit a level of enlightenment and scoot out to show the world :P.

I too would like to see a Genuine product that is bigger. I do love a good Vespa, but I can't justify $7k for a 300gts or whatnot. Kymco makes a few, and they are well loved, but they just don't excite me.

If you listen to the podcast on JustGottaScoot.com regarding Kemmy and his travels, they talk quite a bit about why they aren't trying anything new in the short term. Basically it came down to 'in order to stay afloat we need our tried and true products', and that is not unreasonable. Perhaps if there are a couple good years then they can go back to getting a cruiser rolling.
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

Still here and love to see the cruiser.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I too would like to see a 300cc cruiser from Genuine. But the tricky part is styling. You can either hit a home run or crash and burn when it comes to styling.

Most scoots have the way too modern cheesy sleek look. I have occasionally seen moderns that are executed pretty well overseas, but it's very rare. So it would have to be retro or modernized retro (my fav).

If Genuine had deep pockets, it would be great to let the Italians design something for them. It would be interesting to see what they'd come up with. But that will never happen.

Maybe Genuine should have a design contest!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The scooter was designed. Pretty much done from what I heard. And the influences were reportedly very European, classic touring style, like a Maicoletta or Heinkel, with nods to various German and French scoots and the Japanese Fujis.

NOT a sport maxi.

The scooter market has changed dramatically since the original post here. Don't really know the status of the cruiser or any other possible models. It's probably smart for now to focus on the core products and building and strengthening the dealer network before pushing new models. It's expensive to develop and import them, of course, but also hard for dealers to take on new ones.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

While waiting for Genuine to announce its Classic Cruiser, I’ve been trying to come up with the specs for my Ideal Scooter. I think I’ve come up with some of the criteria, but aesthetically, they are definitely influenced by my love of some of the long-departed classics, such as the Maicoletta, Heinkel Tourist and Zündapp Bella. Here are some suggestions:

1. At least 300-350cc engine, air-cooled horizontal opposed twin to keep center of gravity as low as possible.
2. At least 13” wheels.
3. Seat height no more than 30”.
4. Weight no more than 350 lbs. Could keep weight down with plastic body, alloy tube frame, aluminum engine block.
5. Disc brakes, front and rear.
6. Easy access to engine, drive train and wheels.
7. Complete instrumentation: speedometer, odometer, trip odometer, tachometer, clock, fuel gauge, engine temperature, ambient temperature.
8. Capacious glovebox.
9. Front and rear tires same size.
10. Spare tire.
11. Tires replaceable without removing other components.
12. LOUD horn (Stebel Nautilus?).
13. At least one 12Volt outlet.
14. Secure sidestand, a la Harley-Davidson.
15. 3-4-gallon gas tank.
16. Kick start, in addition to electric.

Personally, I don’t care if it’s 2T or 4T. I’d prefer a manual shift, but I’d settle for an automatic, a real automatic, not CVT…with a driveshaft, not a chain or belt.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Maybe they could leak a poster sized line drawing of the Cruiser, say in the vein of the Heinkelfest poster Bryan posted over at 2sb.

If I can't own the real thing I'd sure as hell buy the poster. Ha!
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

ericalm wrote:The scooter was designed. Pretty much done from what I heard. And the influences were reportedly very European, classic touring style, like a Maicoletta or Heinkel, with nods to various German and French scoots and the Japanese Fujis.

NOT a sport maxi.
That sounds good as long as they toned it down somewhat. Some of the designs you mentioned are far too bulbous for general appeal and consumption. You and I think they're cool, but the unwashed masses may not think so. It needs a little bit of sleekness to it. But from what you described, it sounds up my alley. I guess I'll have to wait 10 years until it happens.
Syd

Post by Syd »

k1dude wrote:
ericalm wrote:The scooter was designed. Pretty much done from what I heard. And the influences were reportedly very European, classic touring style, like a Maicoletta or Heinkel, with nods to various German and French scoots and the Japanese Fujis.

NOT a sport maxi.
That sounds good as long as they toned it down somewhat. Some of the designs you mentioned are far too bulbous for general appeal and consumption. You and I think they're cool, but the unwashed masses may not think so. It needs a little bit of sleekness to it. But from what you described, it sounds up my alley. I guess I'll have to wait 10 years until it happens.
Bulbous isn't so bad as long as it's fast. Fast and Bulbous. That's right!
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

[quote
Bulbous isn't so bad as long as it's fast. Fast and Bulbous. That's right![/quote]

That's Me, Fast and Bulbous! :lol: R
Syd

Post by Syd »

still shifting wrote:
Bulbous isn't so bad as long as it's fast. Fast and Bulbous. That's right!
That's Me, Fast and Bulbous! :lol: R
And since the front fender always narrows towards the front I can accurately say "Bulbous also tapered".