Buddy 50?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Milehibuddy

Buddy 50?

Post by Milehibuddy »

Does anyone own the Buddy 50 yet? Have any reviews or information :?:
ChicagoMatt

Post by ChicagoMatt »

I placed a reservation for one at Scooterworks in Chicago back in early June. I probably should just get the 125, but I don't have time to go through the motorcycle licensing process right now, and it wasn't worth the extra $600 to me. Anyways, they initially said it would come in the last week of June, and then later said the second week of July. Apparently, it should be in just about anyday. I'll post a full review from a scooter newbie as soon as I get mine.
Milehibuddy

Post by Milehibuddy »

Thanks Matt,
I would like to purchase a 50cc for downtown parking.(Denver allows parking on the sidewalk for under 50cc scooters) instead of paying so much for parking.
Geniune Buddy spec sheet states up to 45MPH?
With my weight of 200lbs. If it would run 30-35 on average grade hills and 40MPH on flats, It would be less likely not get ran over by cars on the 35 MPH side streets. I thinking this could be a great option for my daily commute and stay legal with parking.
Hopefully it will keep the Metro's in your rear view mirrors.
Looking forward to your views on the peformance of the 50cc!
Congrats!
nate_v

Post by nate_v »

chicagomatt,

did they say at Scooter Works what your Buddy 50 would cost you in total? I'm in Chicago and I'm seriously considering a black Buddy 50 (so seriously I registered on here!)
ChicagoMatt

Post by ChicagoMatt »

We didn't talk specifically about the total cost but I'm estimating it will be around $2,200 or $2,300 with all the registration and taxes. I put down a $500 deposit. I really am starting to go nuts waiting for it.
germ

buddy 50cc delayed

Post by germ »

My buddy 50 was supposed to arrive yesterday but now it looks like it may not be in till next week. It took me forever to make up my mind on a scooter and now i have to wait longer. I hope I don't change my mind again before next week.
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

I can relate, germ. I paid up front for my Buddy 125 and waited a month when they told me it would take 5 - 7 days. :shock: I was so frustrated, I coulda popped! :bleh: Now I have it and all is forgotten. Hang in there, it'll be worth the wait.
Laura
germ

thanks

Post by germ »

I'm trying my best, but since my scooter got stolen a couple of months ago I have been going crazy without it. I feel like an impatient kid again who has to have it today.
blacke1521

Post by blacke1521 »

Buddy 50's have arrived in Utah. My dealership here in Vernal has a pink, creme and orange in stock. I plan on test riding one in the next couple days.
Milehibuddy

Re: Buddy 50?

Post by Milehibuddy »

[quote="Milehibuddy"]Does anyone own the Buddy 50 yet? Have any reviews or information :?:[/quote]
Sportique will have both of our scoots ready to pick up tommorrow! :lol:
With all the great events happening this weekend it was just in time. I will post some feedback on the 50 cc's over the weekend.
Thanks to everyone on the boards for all your information on the Buddy's! We took some great advice on helmet selections and purchased the full face HJC models. Just hope we can safely get the Buddy's off the lot!
Everyone have a safe weekend!
Steve
AKA Bronco Buddy!
germ

Post by germ »

Better test them quick cause they may not be there when you go back and then you'll have to wait weeks to see one again.
Milehibuddy

Post by Milehibuddy »

Thanks for the heads up! We actually gave a deposit 3 weeks ago. Spoke with Adam at Sportique(Great Guy) today! Confident in everything he says.
They will be there.
Sorry about your loss :(

I have actually tried to find people riding a Buddy in Denver and have not spotted one yet. I know there out there though!
germ

Post by germ »

Same here in the springs. Sportique says that they can't keep the buddy 125 in stock but I have yet to see one on the streets.
Milehibuddy

Post by Milehibuddy »

Finally!!
We are now the parents of two Orange 50 cc Buddys!

Sportique here in Denver did a fantastic job of preparing them today and had them ready when we arrived.
Buy from these guys!
On the eve of the big scooter rally at thier place, they still got our scoots finished!

Side by side they look almost identicle to the 125. Of course they have the Buddy 50 log on my little guy.

With the city of Denver parking regulations, we decided to stay "Legal" and get the 50 cc, and park anywhere a bicycle does without paying parking.

After testing them both prior to taking them off the lot, we made a sound choice.

The top end is definatatly not like the 125. (That scooter scoots!)

I am 210 Lbs. Acceleration from the stop is much greater than you would ever expect. On the flat I topped out (Per the Speedometer)at 46MPH.

From a dead stop, accelerating up hill (a very big hill!) is were I really noticed the difference. The 125 CC slowed on the same hill, but the 50 cc had to work to stay above 30MPH were the 125 CC still had a very slight in MPH increase.

However going down the same hill :shock: Buddy 50CC maxed out at 53 MPH!
We actually took it up same grade hill on a Honda Metro and maxed out @ 18MPH.
(I think the Metro owners just logged out!)

If you have alot of hills on your daily commute and do not have have a problem paying for parking. I would recomend the 125 CC. If you need the top end MPH you have it.

If you do not want to go thru the licence and registration process and you have the same parking restrictions as Denver, buy the 50 cc , save on parking fees, chance getting a ticket (Meter Maids have a good memory!) and feel great on a Buddy 50 CC selection.

Now if I can keep from calling my insurance agent to report it stolen.

We purchased two of the heavy cable locks for each. If they have to go thru two of these bad boys, then they can have it. We will lock the two together to make it even more diffacult to pick up.
But right now they are in our kitchen!

Of course I need some advice on Painting. The brown has to go, and the Bronco Blue paint needs to be done. Any one tried painting these parts yet?

Thanks to all of the posters on this site. Your input on helmet selections, performance, safe riding issues, technical issues, and friendship has made this a great experience.

If you want more feedback on 50cc Buddy's let me know!

Bronco Buddy
amym

Prices?

Post by amym »

I am so excited that my first scooter will be a Buddy 50. I have been waiting for Sportique to get them, as it is the only place that carries them in town. I am curious what you paid for it. Originally they were telling me $2499, but I think they were on crack. Then another Sportique said $2199. I originally did not want to spend more than $2000, so I want to get the best price possible. I plan on getting one soon so I have some summertime left to ride! :)
Amy in Denver
Milehibuddy

Post by Milehibuddy »

Amy,
Just do it!
How much is the _ _ _ _ eatin grin on your face worth when your riding one of these?
Priceless!
Genuine Scooters will be at the swap Friday night at Sportique. Enjoy the barbecue and fun. Ride one of these Buddy's, and do not forget your checkbook!
Bronco Buddy
germ

Post by germ »

You are the first review of a 50 that I have read. But now I am still just as cinfused as ever on which one to get.
Milehibuddy

Post by Milehibuddy »

Here is a suggestion on deciding.
Need to go over 45MPH and have major hills and keep your speed over 35MPH?
Buy the 125cc.

Small hills and no need to go over 40 MPH buy the 50.

We tested many manufactures and models on 50cc and below, this by far is the quickest off the start and and fastest stock model we test rode.

If you end up buying the 50 cc and later want to"Juice it up" The two stroke motors are much less expensive to add performance parts and labor intensive to modify.
Come on jump in and do it! You can not go wrong with either one!
Hope this helps!
germ

Post by germ »

Thanks for the advice. I passed by Sportique to talk with them after work today and they were closed, but I saw 3 buddy 50's in each color on the floor. They better bet I am going over tomorrow to test drive both the 50 and the 125.
amym

Deciding factors

Post by amym »

I am choosing the 50 because
1. it is $600 less expensive;
2. it does not require licensing;
3. you don't have to pay to park it--and you can park at bike racks;
4. if you only ride around town, you really don't need to go much faster than 35-40mph.

I hope this helps your decision! :roll:
Scootin_in_MS

Re: Deciding factors

Post by Scootin_in_MS »

amym wrote:...it does not require licensing; you don't have to pay to park it--and you can park at bike racks...
These rules vary by state, city, county, etc. Be sure to check your local laws before deciding.

Jody
germ

Post by germ »

I believe she is in Denver so she won't need a cycle license to drive a 50cc.
Tamari

Post by Tamari »

Hey Denverites, I got my 125 Buddy from Sportique about 3 weeks ago. I must have had good timing, because I put down a $100 deposit and they reserved one in the first shipment. I commute to work downtown and absolutely love it. When I can't get on it for a day or two, I almost go nuts. Paying the extra $500-600, in my opinion, is well worth it. Getting the motorcyle endorsement to my driver's license took some time in the way of a written test and then a drive test on another day, but it wasn't that bad. I am very happy I got the 125, rather than the 50. though my wife might get a 50, because it certainly sounds as though it is the fasted 50cc around.

I couldn't make the rally this weekend. How is it going, for those of you who are attending? Ride on, be safe, and I hope to meet some of you at Denver scooter events.
germ

Post by germ »

I got a call from Sportique telling me that they mispriced the buddy 50cc. They said it was going to be $2300. That is +$500 the msrp. Yet the buddy is only 27 and some change. Makes no sense to me. Now I think I might aas well get the 125. But that won't be in for a couple of weeks. I don't think I'll ever get another scooter.
Tamari

Post by Tamari »

Germ,

Actually, the Buddy 50 lists for $1899.00. So, $2300 is actually $400 over MSRP, not $500.00. I paid $2700.00 for my 125 at Sportique in Denver, which is $200 over MSRP. I was told at the time of purchase that there was more of a mark-up on the 50's, and that they would be about $2200 or $2300.

Good luck.
skootergurl

Post by skootergurl »

A customer told me about this website so I hope Dealers are welcome. I have personally put over 100 miles on both the 50 and 125 Buddy and I love them. Seriously for the money these are some of the most stylish, unique bikes out there! As far as which one to choose, where you are riding is a factor...city driving, Mph not to exceed 40 get the Buddy 50. Need or want to go faster, say on a nice scenic drive get the 125 or if you already have your motorcycle indorsement just get the 125! Either way you can't go wrong! Enjoy!!!
Scootin Scott

Got my Buddy 50

Post by Scootin Scott »

Got my Black Buddy 50 this past Friday, and have put about 80 miles on it so far. I am anxious to see what the MPG will be.
Blackeyes24

Post by Blackeyes24 »

skootergurl wrote:A customer told me about this website so I hope Dealers are welcome.
I think everyone is welcome and I suggested in another post all dealers should tell people about our group when they sell a Buddy. I am dying to meet some more Buddy owners and you dealers are the best way of getting the word out.
germ

Post by germ »

Why would the mark up of a 50cc be double that of a 125cc?
nate_v

buddy 50

Post by nate_v »

i just got quoted $2280 out the door from Scooter Works here in Chicago. Dude said that that was tax, title, license, and dealer setup. i would guess that they're sticking to the $1900 base price, but i'm not totally sure. Either way, i'm gonna take the plunge at the end of August and I'm psyched.
germ

Post by germ »

That makes sense. Maybe the guy at Sportique was including all the registration fees along with the setup fees. I'll find out more when I get there.
germ

test drive

Post by germ »

OK, so the $2300 included everything. I test drove the 50 also. I took it all over. It is surely a 50cc, but none like I have ever driven. I got it up to 45. It hit 40 no problem. Pushed it to 45. Searched out a hill. I slowed down before I entered the hill to get an idea of the acceleration. It was somewhere int the 30s. It took it well though. All in all it was a great ride. I think my only complaint may be that foot room. It is wierd. You can let your toes hang off and get a little more leg room, but it is meant for a full bent knee position. I prefer my legs stretched and further up front. I find that bikes balance better that way. So I pick it up tommorow at lunch. FINALLY. yea!
nate_v

50cc

Post by nate_v »

germ, about the leg room... how tall are you? im just about 6'0" and the one concern with the buddy i have is that i'll be cramped.

n
germ

Post by germ »

I am about 5'10", but I have read reviews by 6'+ riders saying that they were fine. It is fine I think if you ride with your feet flat on the floorboard in more of a sitting position. I am just used to riding with my feet more up front. I think you must test drive one though to find out what is comfortable for you. I was fine. I also didn't mention that I was in after five traffic downtown and was fine as far as my speed, but Colorado Springs is a small laid back downtown. Very zippy 50cc. But probably not that great for 2 person riding. I'm actually off to pick mine up now.
ciao
setbuilder

Post by setbuilder »

I bought mine yesterday afternoon and I couldn't be happier! I have already put 65 miles on it and I still have well over half a tank of gas! This is my first experience with anything motorized on two wheels and I wish I had done it sooner. Everything about it is fantastic. I hit 51mph on a flat street and I am 200 lbs! My advice-buy one now. My only regret is the fact that I missed out on half of the summer on it!
FormerStella

Post by FormerStella »

My in-laws' 50cc just came in and we're helping them pick it up on Tuesday. They're so excited! They're taking it to their condo in South Carolina, so the 50cc was a good size. It's good to see that it tops out on a flat road at about 45. What about deregulated, though? Anyone got one that's been deregulated and how fast does it go?
"But not a real green dress, that's cruel!"
skootergurl

Post by skootergurl »

If you hit 45 MPH, that bike has already been de-restricted. Out of the crate speed is only 30. Genuine does however, have "big bore" kits that will take your Buddy to 70cc. I am not sure of the top speed with a kit as we have not installed one yet. I understand that it is a relatively easy install and will utilize the stock muffler and carb.
germ

Post by germ »

If you hit 45 MPH, that bike has already been de-restricted. Out of the crate speed is only 30.
That is in no way factual information. I bought my buddy 50cc finally yesterday and it is from factory and they only put one mile on it to set it up and test it. I max out at 45mph on a straight away and hold a steady 30 going uphill. Granted I am a thin guy around 150lbs. If you were talking about a honda metro 4 stroke then I would agree with you but this thing is a speedy 2 stroke with more power off the start than any 50cc I have ever driven. And I have test driven almost everyone on the market except the Kymco people 50. This scooter is as great as the $4000 scooter my brother bought for $2000. Speedometers are suppossed to be off by a few mph so it probably doesn't quite go 45mph. Probably more like 42 in reality. Let me just say that I had a honda 80cc scooter that I thought was fast and the Buddy 50cc is just as fast just not as much power. When I told the guy at sportique that I was having trouble deciding between the 50 and the 125 he told me not to sweat, get the 50cc. And I am glad that I did. For those of you who are looking for a scooter to commute, save gas, and have fun on I don't think there is a better 50cc on the market for its price.
Dave R
Dealer

Post by Dave R »

germ wrote:
If you hit 45 MPH, that bike has already been de-restricted. Out of the crate speed is only 30.
That is in no way factual information.
Actually that is correct information, 30MPH is the top speed until the 50's are de-restricted. We de-restrict all of the 50's as standard practice. That is also why it takes longer to prep the 2 stroke 50's vs the 4 stroke 125. It just takes more time to get it ready to sell..
Ducati Seattle/Genuine Scooters Seattle is now on Facebook at
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Genuine-S ... 555?ref=ts
Please become a fan
Sailn

Post by Sailn »

Dave,

Aside from removing the restriction in the pipe, which I assume (might be a bad idea) just a washer, is there anything else to do?

Maitin
Dave R
Dealer

Post by Dave R »

there is also a washer in the clutch assembly that has to come out. Your dealer should have received step by step instructions on de restricting ??
Ducati Seattle/Genuine Scooters Seattle is now on Facebook at
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Genuine-S ... 555?ref=ts
Please become a fan
germ

Post by germ »

My bad. I am obviously wrong about that fact, but the person who first issued a reply about hitting 45 miles per hour was asking if anyone had done a derestricting and what they probably meant was a modification kit, which is what I was refering to, but thanks for shedding some lite on the difference cause I didn't know.
theworm

How steep are these hills?

Post by theworm »

A few of you have mentioned the speed on hills but I am wondering how steep are these hills. I live in San Francisco and what some people call hills are nothing but a bump here. I am concerned the 50 might not have enough power to head up some of the steep hills here. Any comments?

Thanks
Scootin Scott

Re: How steep are these hills?

Post by Scootin Scott »

I have a Buddy 50 and live in St. Louis. I would not recommend it for San Fran hills. If you ever ride two-up, forget it.
rehrlund@gmail.com

Colorado Springs info from my CO friends, help!

Post by rehrlund@gmail.com »

I am considering the 50cc versus the 125 cc right now, and I see that there are several Coloradians on this forum, and I am glad of it! Please advise me oh wise ones!

The main function of this vehicle is to get me to work, less than 5 miles away. But I am also concerned about which is the most environmentally friendly, and how much it will cost/take to get my license and insurance if I get the 125. And then if I DO get the 125, that means I can't use bike lanes or racks anymore right? And could I get away with it if I remove the decals and just take it slow and use the extra power to keep me from being run over on hilly streets? I have no interest in going fast, I just want to know what the "best" choice is. Being able to ride double with my husband on country roads would be a plus, too.

And finally, does Sportique derestrict the 50cc or do they only reach 30 tops out the door?

edit: Ok after doing more research I now know that anything bigger than a 50cc is considered a motorcycle in CO, and there is no way my nerves could withstand having to drive a MOTORCYCLE to learn how to drive my 125. NOTE: I HATE MOTORCYCLES-I.E. Completely horrified of them.
)shiver( My wanting to go fast and have insane power on 2 wheeler has NOTHING to do with my wanting a scooter, and the former doesn't exist for me!

But what about the de-ristricting by Sportique? And can I park my 50cc on the sidewalk in the Springs like they can in Denver? I'm babbling, it's late. I'm just so darn excited!!

And if I call Sportique on Tuesday how long do I have to wait for my new love to arrive? :shock:
BosBuddy

Re: Colorado Springs info from my CO friends, help!

Post by BosBuddy »

rehrlund@gmail.com wrote: And could I get away with it if I remove the decals and just take it slow and use the extra power to keep me from being run over on hilly streets?
I'm not sure, but I don't think you would get away with it . :wink:
Last edited by BosBuddy on Mon May 14, 2007 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: Colorado Springs info from my CO friends, help!

Post by ericalm »

rehrlund@gmail.com wrote:edit: Ok after doing more research I now know that anything bigger than a 50cc is considered a motorcycle in CO, and there is no way my nerves could withstand having to drive a MOTORCYCLE to learn how to drive my 125. NOTE: I HATE MOTORCYCLES-I.E. Completely horrified of them.
)shiver( My wanting to go fast and have insane power on 2 wheeler has NOTHING to do with my wanting a scooter, and the former doesn't exist for me!
When you mention "having to drive a MOTORCYCLE to learn how to drive my 125," are you referring to taking the MSF Basic Rider class? You can take this on a 125 Buddy in most (if not all) states.

The 125 is very easy to learn on. My wife, who feels the same about motorcycles and had no experience on any kind of motorized 2-wheeler, managed to learn to ride much faster than even I expected.

Have you looked into how a 50 performs at that altitude?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
rehrlund@gmail.com

Post by rehrlund@gmail.com »

edit: OK! Basic insurance for a 125 (non-c/c) Is CHEAP. I was quoted something like 150 per year. Awesome!! Excited face #1 :)

Does anyone feel that comp and col would be necessary? I figured with a 500 deductible and the bike being so cheap to begin with, it shouldn't be?!

What else...the test. Can I take my motorcycle test on my own scooter? Or are they going to make me drive a motorcycle. (I'm going to try and call the DMV in a sec) BECAUSE, I don't need the 200.oo class if I can take the test on my own Buddy. (I love that they are called Buddy's-GENIUS!)

Thanks again for all your help!
paige

Post by paige »

The $200 class is much more than a way to skip taking the driving test at the DMV. It is a basic training course that teaches you about the mechanics of a two wheeled machine and the mindset of a two wheeled rider. It is invaluable to introduce people responsibly to the two wheeled lifestyle, ESPECIALLY those with no experience. I hated every minute on the motorcycle, but two years later I have 3 scooters and confidence in my abily to handle the roads and situations that I may ecounter.
andy

Buddy 125

Post by andy »

I bought a Buddy 125 in Brooklyn,NY in Jan. 2007. I got a 2006 model. 2007s were not in yet. I paid 2500. 2007s go for 2600. I love the 125. The extra speed is well worth it I believe. I had a moped. I love being able to cruise on highways at 55-60mph. It's worth it for me to have the bigger scoot and deal with parking.
Good luck!