Painting my buddy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Basilios

Painting my buddy

Post by Basilios »

I was thinking of painting my two-tone black 125 buddy a solid black color? Has anyone painted parts of their buddy before? I have a feeling that if I have it painted, the NEW black paint won't match the original black. Any comments or sugestions out there?

THANKS,
Basilios from Chicago
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

there are a lot of books on painting and even many on painting motorcycles, (check amazon or barnes and nobles) I also came across this site that was pretty helpful: http://scooterhelp.com/tips/paint/paint.main.html

hope it helps (if all else fails check your local collision shop)
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

try this thread:
topic194.html
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Unless you're painting just a small part of it (say the silver plastic light covers), you should definitely consider having it professionally done.

A good body shop should be able to match the black without problem. Keep in mind, also, that there are 2 types of plastic on the Buddy, so they may take paint differently. Even if they're same color, they have different textures, so reflect light differently and so may appear to be different colors.

An all-gloss black could look wicked cool.
ScooterMonkey

Post by ScooterMonkey »

I've painted the silver lower plastic on my Buddy black using Krylon Fusion spray paint. I'll post some pics later today or tomorrow. I really like the look.
dwnthehatch

Post by dwnthehatch »

I was considering painting the silver panels on my black buddy satin black. Even if there was a color difference between the two blacks it would look like it was meant to be.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Corsair wrote:there are a lot of books on painting and even many on painting motorcycles, (check amazon or barnes and nobles) I also came across this site that was pretty helpful: http://scooterhelp.com/tips/paint/paint.main.html
Just remember in any case that you're painting plastics which may require slightly diferent preparation and special paints. Bryce posted a good primer on the different types of plastic pieces and their composition in this thread. I also posted a link in that thread for this tutorial for prepping and painting smaller plastic parts.
Last edited by ericalm on Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

thanks for extra links
Keys

Post by Keys »

Lookin' forward to the pics, Tryg...I finally met Sammie today when I went down to pickup my Bud. She told me you'd painted it.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
rajron

Post by rajron »

ScooterMonkey

Were you going to show us your pics of the lower running board??
We all wanted to see – thinking of doing the same myself.
ScooterMonkey

Post by ScooterMonkey »

rajron wrote:ScooterMonkey

Were you going to show us your pics of the lower running board??
We all wanted to see – thinking of doing the same myself.
Sorry it took so long!
The panels were painted w/ Krylon Fusion spray paint. No sanding or priming needed. Very easy & cheap.
It matches pretty well, & the general consensus is that it looks much better all black than the original black/silver color.
Attachments
Photo000.jpg
Photo000.jpg (80.7 KiB) Viewed 1843 times
Photo_11.jpg
Photo_11.jpg (69.47 KiB) Viewed 1844 times
Photo_11a.jpg
Photo_11a.jpg (78.18 KiB) Viewed 1861 times
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Damn good! And special tips or techniques? Hold the can a certain distance, do a certain number of coats, etc. to get it looking so smooth and pro?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ScooterMonkey

Post by ScooterMonkey »

ericalm wrote:Damn good! And special tips or techniques? Hold the can a certain distance, do a certain number of coats, etc. to get it looking so smooth and pro?
The best advice I can give is simply follow the instructions on the can.
Multiple LIGHT coats are better than one or two heavy coats.
The Krylon Fusion colors are good, but I strongly advise you to do a "color test" on something plastic besides your Buddy, & make SURE that this really is the color you want to re-paint your Scoot's lower portion(or nether regions, whichever you prefer :mrgreen: ) .
Good Luck, Have fun, & please post any re-painted Buddy pics.
rajron

Post by rajron »

Thanx for posting the pics of your scoot it looks very nice; it changes the look of the scooter quite a lot.
Was it Matt Black that you used?
lou76

Post by lou76 »

i will have you know that i have looked all over trying to find krylon fusion in a satin finish in BLACK... i have found green, maroon, etc, but no black...
ScooterMonkey

Re: ....

Post by ScooterMonkey »

lou76 wrote:i will have you know that i have looked all over trying to find krylon fusion in a satin finish in BLACK... i have found green, maroon, etc, but no black...
Ace Hardware @ Rural & Broadway.
Rob520

Post by Rob520 »

i also have i black buddy and did a blackout. it looks great, and no color matching problems. i used krylon's new spraypaint for plastic.

/Users/robertsternheim/Desktop/DSC00047.JPG
/Users/robertsternheim/Desktop/DSC00049.JPG
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

I'm getting ready to paint the rims of Lojical1's scooter and could use any and all advice you can give. Tips on paint selection (high heat or will normal spray paint work?), wheel removal, tire removal (I saw the very damaged rim in the other post and definitely want to avoid doing that). Thanks for any help you can give. I'll make sure to post pics of the finished product.