Life Expectancy of Buddy 150 Roller Weights, Variator, etc

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dromedary

Life Expectancy of Buddy 150 Roller Weights, Variator, etc

Post by dromedary »

I have a Buddy International 150 Pamplona. Nearly a year old with 6000ish miles. Seems like lately it's lost its mojo off the line, though top end still around 75. Could it be the innards are wearing out? Obviously the Buddy owner's manual is worthless and I can't find anything about expected engine part life on the board. Please forgive if it's addressed somewhere.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

How's the oil and tune? My St. Tropez seems to get sluggish when it's time for an oil change and tune...

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

The rollers are good til about 4k miles or so. If you haven't changed them yet, replace with Dr. Pulley sliding roller weights (11 gram have been proven a good weight) or with original equipment. Do not use the Prima rollers as many will attest to their premature wear.
I had my rollers replaced with Dr. Pulley 11g sliders and the mechanic was impressed with the smoothness of the acceleration. I think I am also going to the get the Dr. Pulley variator soon; it's around $90 and is supposed to take advantage of the sliding roller weights even more than the stock variator.

I'm no expert but I have read many threads about this stuff and rely heavily on the Voodoo crowd for advice.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Check the belt specs (19mm wide is when it should be replaced). Check the rollers for flat spots. Blow out the CVT (belt dust causes slipping). Check the valves (.08mm is spec). Clean the air filter. Check the Spark Plug. Make sure it's got fresh oil in there and when it's changed, make sure not to over fill (6k is about right for oil change, hopefully not the first).

It's hard to put a life expectancy on these parts as a lot of it depends on how it's ridden and the environment that it's ridden in. 6k miles is one of the check points, which is all we really have to go on.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Depending on use, rider weight, etc, the rollers can last to 8k miles per change.

They can be worn out as fast as 4k miles though. The variator never really wears down since it's a solid piece of metal, the only things I'd be looking at are the roller weights and possibly the belt. Usually the belt will last a bit longer.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

My '06 Buddy now has 6400 miles and all I've done (besides 1st dealer service) is change the oil and I just put new Zippy 1 tires on it.

I have it to over 70 indicated for about 2 miles on my commute - 25% of my commute then, which is where most of my miles are from.

I have not noticed any reduction in top speed or performance in any way - but I am thinking I should have a look at some of the basic things mentioned here because of the mileage I have.

I'd love to do performance mods on it, but the budget doesn't allow for it right now.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
sambrgr

Post by sambrgr »

Did you check your throttle cable? My 08 Italia was doing the same thing and after taking out the slack it came back to life.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

sambrgr wrote:Did you check your throttle cable? My 08 Italia was doing the same thing and after taking out the slack it came back to life.
That would be rare. I've got 18k on my bike and have never had to adjust the cable. I'd say its far more likely worn rollers. Thats a very common symptom of worn rollers.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Not too rare. My Italia had some slack in the throttle cable, but I don't think that's the cause of the issue for the OP.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I've got over 9k miles and just replaced my belt yesterday, and it still has life left in it, but I was in there doing some mods and decided to replace it anyway.
I replaced the rollers around 4k miles, but they looked great, again, I was just changing over to sliders.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

I just had my 4,000 (+160) mile service yesterday. Spark plug, air filter replaced. They said my belt was looking suspect, so that got replaced. No one said anything about my rollers, but I went ahead and ordered a set of 11g sliders...we'll see what the stock look like when the sliders come in...should be towards the end of next week. My rear tire is getting pretty worn...probably will be shot by the time I roll over 5,000 miles...puts me beginning of next month.