What to expect with upgraded suspension

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Angela

What to expect with upgraded suspension

Post by Angela »

So with my crash comes improvements to the Buddy. That being an upgraded suspension. I am getting the NCY forks and the same rear shock as the Blackjack.

What should I expect when I finally get back on her (in about 6 weeks)? Will I notice the difference?

With the fancy new suspension should I go for new fancy tires?
hairball

Post by hairball »

You will notice a stiffer ride, The rear shock should be adjustable with about 40 clicks to the adjustment.

The F & S are for the rebound (how fast or slow the shock returns to its normal position after a bump) I like a little slower rebound so the ride is not bouncy, Too slow of a rebound your shock may pack down or not return fast enough on bumpy roads.
I started in the middle at about 20 clicks, I think I will settle in around 30 clicks Clockwise or towards the "S"

With the new suspension you will be able to rail turns with confidence without the wallowing feel of a mushy suspension.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

I got the rear shock yesterday - I was told the F= firm and S=Soft. That you want softer when 2up and a full to case. First thing I noticed was it holds up the back end and sorta tilts you forward. I think the front shocks will make the more noticeable ride difference. In the end, as Kevin put it, these shocks keep your tires on the road more and the more your tires stick to the road the better it stays upright :)

I totally recommend the 100/90 zippy 1s. Those made a more noticeable difference straight out of the gate (vs this rear shock) as far has cornering, handling and stability.

Kevin was saying the front shocks are stiffer too so while more stable and holding that tire to the ground, he said you can't really jump stuff. HAHAHA! Jump stuff - like we're doing that!!.

I did wake up today with a wicked so back and I think it was just the new stiffness in the rear shock and how it pitches a wee bit forward. I'm sure I'll get 100miles on it before my back realizes it's here to stay :)

You may need to get your seat lowered even more after the shocks - definitely makes the bike stay taller. One thing I've learned the hard way is that you want be stopped on your toes. That makes it too easy to roll forward and you should be stopped rested on your heels - less chance of rolling and thus tipping. Mathew said they taught him that at MSF. If they said that at my MSF, I missed it. :?

You're gonna love Lucky with all her new parts! Heal fast!