The fate of SCOOT3R

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

The fate of SCOOT3R

Post by ericalm »

We don't often ban members in this community, but I thought it might be instructive to post about why someone gets banned when it does happen. Many of you will be happy to learn that SCOOT3R has been shown the door.

I initially suspected SCOOT3R of being a troll, but was willing to allow benefit of the doubt, as many of us were. In the end, it didn't matter. SCOOT3R's presence was disruptive and bothersome, but it was disregard for forum policy after many warnings that got him booted. SCOOT3R refused to offer other members the consideration and respect that others extended towards him. This is a flagrant violation of Posting Guidelines, which also discourage ranting.

The forum is for exchanging information and building community, not for one person with a grudge or complaint to hijack innocent threads in order to air their grievances. He'd sold his scooter. His sole purpose for being here seemed to be to bitch and moan about his own poor buying decision. Whatever issues he has, they're not with the members of this forum, who shouldn't have to suffer any more of his shenanigans.

Members are free to post any complaints or issues they have with Genuine, their dealer or their scooters provided they are fair, state the facts, and don't abuse the platform this forum provides. The objective should be a satisfactory resolution, not just to vent. Hell, we'll even allow a certain amount of venting.

But our indulgence and patience is limited. Targeting other members or the Moderators with your anger will only lead to banning.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
thehypercube

Post by thehypercube »

BIG HELLO!!!

...too soon?
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

:rofl: BIG HELLO IS BIG HELLO!
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I dont think he was originally a spy or troll bashing on the buddy, he did actually purchase one. The problem was I think he got a bad dealer who told him bad info, and he began spreading it here like it was truth. Time after time after being proven wrong, he still insisted he was right. Bad info, stubborn attitude, not good combination.
MrsLatch

Post by MrsLatch »

yayyyyyyyyyyyy!

modern buddy is a happy place once again
SpunkyFemme

Post by SpunkyFemme »

Thank you for the explanation and for banning him. I don't post often... but, I read pretty much everything... and his responses were horribly difficult to decipher at best and offensive and combative at worst.

So, a sincere THANK YOU!!
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

I was one of the one's that was also giving him the benefit of the doubt. But it just started getting annoying reading his posts. I think you did the right thing Eric. Now back to our great forum. Nothing to see here :roll:
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Because he was deaf his ability to learn English was effected, that's normal and explains why he talked "funny" and made people think he was a foreigner trashing the buddy. Although I will admit even with bad grammar/spelling, he made his points clear, and they were ridiculous.
sotied

Post by sotied »

As a person known to pull out the soapbox and rant from time to time, it's good to know where the line is.

Fortunately (correct me if I'm wrong) I've [edit] MOST always been respectful in my random blathering.

Thanks Eric for the explanation.
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com
narcoleptic

Post by narcoleptic »

I haven't been here long, but I read a lot of his posts and he did seem to be disruptive here. I was assuming he was a troll only because I couldn't understand why someone would come to a forum dedicated to Genuine scooters and really have nothing positive to say about them. His responses to me in my thread about 50cc vs 125cc were pretty mean, but luckily I have a pretty thick skin on my e-back.
digital-entropy

Post by digital-entropy »

R.I.P. SCOOT3R. I hereby dedicate my commute home to him.
iwabj

Post by iwabj »

Boy am I an ignorant sob. I was under the impression that people who couldn't hear would be MORE proficient in writing.

For some reason I thought that they would somehow overcompensate for their deficiency by writing and reading really well; that is if they were provided with the proper tools, appropriate opportunities, and the necessary motivation.
Drew

Post by Drew »

Thank you Ericalm! I also don't post a lot, but I read most of the topics. I started to avoid MB because all the negativity he was causing was getting to me. Having said that, I did look at his posts because I couldn't help it. It was like when you can't keep yourself from looking when you see a car crash.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

iwabj wrote:Boy am I an ignorant sob. I was under the impression that people who couldn't hear would be MORE proficient in writing.

For some reason I thought that they would somehow overcompensate for their deficiency by writing and reading really well; that is if they were provided with the proper tools, appropriate opportunities, and the necessary motivation.
Are you serious or is this sarcasm? If you're serious, you should think for a second about anyone you may know who has learned another language, any other language regardless of the native language. It is usually much more difficult to write as well as one can speak the other language.

And yes, deaf people speak with their hands and facial gestures and the variety of sign languages around the globe are full and complete languages, so learning English counts as a non-native language.

I know this is OT, but wow.
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

Forgive me for asking this but.....is it legal for a deaf person to opperate a motor vehicle in CA (I think thats were he finally said he was from).
I have a commercial license and am deaf in one ear. From what I have been told, thats okay. But I was under the impression that if I were deaf in both ears, my commercial license would be taken away. Maybe its different for a regular license?
iwabj

Post by iwabj »

siobhan wrote:
iwabj wrote:Boy am I an ignorant sob. I was under the impression that people who couldn't hear would be MORE proficient in writing.

Are you serious or is this sarcasm? If you're serious, you should think for a second about anyone you may know who has learned another language, any other language regardless of the native language. It is usually much more difficult to write as well as one can speak the other language.

And yes, deaf people speak with their hands and facial gestures and the variety of sign languages around the globe are full and complete languages, so learning English counts as a non-native language.

I know this is OT, but wow.
I'm ashamed to say yes, I was serious. I thought that there would be the extra incentive to do better at learning to read and write. I would think they are very capable. They would just have to Learn to approach it from a different way then the hearing individuals would. Meaning, access to certified teachers and the rest... when available.

Off topic and off topic: On my summers in my early teens I knew two brothers who were deaf. They were great guys - had a great sense of humor. I wont tire you with a story of how the one brother helped the other out of a difficult situation when a half dozen of the hearing capable adults were dumbfounded. Funny guys. I remember it like it was yesterday.
iwabj

Post by iwabj »

Oh, I somehow missed the point that he was a non native English writer. Well thats a horse of a different color. Thanks for pointing that out.
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

deaf or not, you can still use spell check. i was one of the guys who maybe gave him a bit of a hard time. it wasn't right. but i didn't take him seriously. he was new to the community, new to the information. many of you truly tried to help him. i think it was VIC who went to bats for him and his reply was a slap in the face. to much drama for a easy going, friendly scooter community. legit or not the whole thing was a downer. thanks mods for trying to keep it that way.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
laxer

Post by laxer »

I definitely gave him a hard time, not BECAUSE of his grammar (though I did use it to make fun), but because most of his posts were full of crap and often confrontational.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

LAT3R SCOOT3R...

Good call Eric. Handled well as usual :+!:

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

awww i was giving him a chance to the end, I thought maybe he's buy a buddy 125 or 150 and his girlfriend would be happy...but that didn't really seem like his goal, so hasta lo' Scoot3r.

in the words of fretman:

SCOOT3R is Smellybumlove
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

that would be insane if true! :shock:
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

siobhan wrote: Are you serious or is this sarcasm? If you're serious, you should think for a second about anyone you may know who has learned another language, any other language regardless of the native language. It is usually much more difficult to write as well as one can speak the other language.
Did you ever figure out what his other language was?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Wheelz wrote:SCOOT3R is Smellybumlove
Boy, had to dig pretty deep into the archives to come up with that!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Wheelz wrote:awww i was giving him a chance to the end, I thought maybe he's buy a buddy 125 or 150 and his girlfriend would be happy...but that didn't really seem like his goal, so hasta lo' Scoot3r.

in the words of fretman:

SCOOT3R is Smellybumlove
Not likely... SBL's grammar and spelling don't line up with Scoot3r's.
fretman

Post by fretman »

Fair is fair. Enough is enough. Scooter is scooter!
You know scooter is scooter!
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Smellybumlove was a guy who lives in taiwan with his wife after they moved from England. He wanted to start a sketchy performance part deal here on the forums and get rich off of it. Taiwan has a million performance part shops in ever corner, so he'd buy them cheap, sell them for more on forums to members.

Nothing ever happened and people began to think he was a scammer.
purromaniac

Post by purromaniac »

SCOOT3R's first post raised a red flag with me because of his poor English and bad attitude. I looked at his profile, and he gave NO information about himself. It's hard not to be suspicious when someone is completely anonymous and only complains. I missed a few days before Eric deleted the thread, but in what I read I never learned anything about SCOOT3R. I must have missed where he said he was deaf and lived in Taiwan.

I agree with Eric's decision, but that thread was a good dose of laughter at the end of the day. Maybe you guys should start a comedy thread.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

In defense, it's totally unfair to say he is suspicious because he doesn't have a fully listed profile.

You can look at mine and see how blank it is, besides saying what bike I own and where I am. Even then, I still dont say exactly what city I am in. (anymore)

Also his English was "poor" because of his inability to learn more because of his deafness. People who are deaf cannot learn to write English properly sometimes due to their limitation.
purromaniac

Post by purromaniac »

jfrost2: You're 5'9" and weigh 100 lbs. Most of us share stuff about ourselves in our posts. SCOOT3R didn't share.

PS - I'd venture to guess you're from the Cleveland area (or were). I grew up there. I can understand if you want to keep it a secret. :lol:
Last edited by purromaniac on Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
BuddyJ

Post by BuddyJ »

jfrost2 wrote:Smellybumlove was a guy who lives in taiwan with his wife after they moved from England. He wanted to start a sketchy performance part deal here on the forums and get rich off of it. Taiwan has a million performance part shops in ever corner, so he'd buy them cheap, sell them for more on forums to members. Nothing ever happened and people began to think he was a scammer.
SBL is now active on TotalRuckus. His reputation on TR looks great and many members there report successful transactions and have posted photos of some awesome parts they've purchased from him. As I understand it from reading the old threads here, his banning here had little to do with his now seemingly successful parts business and was more about how he represented himself to PGO. He has been very prompt and helpful in my dealings with him thus far so I hope to purchase some suspension parts from him soon. Fingers crossed, right? ;)

In any case, SCOOT3R will be missed by those of us who enjoy a good facepalm.
'06 Buddy 125 - Prima pipe - 11g Dr. Pulley sliders - NCY transmission kit - Prima 161cc kit - NCY big valve head - Unifilter
'09 Stella - Hot Reeds - Hot Wing
TVB

Post by TVB »

For someone who doesn't hear, the whole "phonics" approach to reading and writing is simply useless. "CAT" might as well be "%3F", just an arbitrary set of symbols with no connection to the concept they represent. Sign language (which is the primary language from infancy for a lot of fully deaf people) has a different grammar and syntax from any spoken language. It isn't just a one-for-one substitution of gestures for words, so English really is a "foreign" language to someone who uses it.

Depending on the cause, deafness - sometimes, but not always - comes as a package with other cognitive deficits, such as learning disabilities or just plain low intelligence. The isolation that many deaf children experience can also give them poor social skills. Some deaf people are smarter than you or me, or they overcome these difficulties through great effort. Some don't.

None of which excuses SCOOT3R's antisocial behavior, but it may explain some of it.

(My background: I hear as well as a 44-year-old could hope to, but I went to a public school that happened to include a program for deaf students, some of whom were "mainstreamed" as my classmates. My boyfriend Andy was studying to be a sign-language interpreter before he was taken from me.)
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

reading all the posts posted by SCOOT3R was quite entertaining, his bad grammar was just hilarious...

than again, he did cause alot of trouble around here, and pissed everybody off by bashing them :?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Email I just received from "modernbuddy@inbox.com":
Admin, I knew you reside in califorina. If i see you at scooter events or your place: I promise you that I will kill you with serious weapon! Swear on your grave. I will start to collecting your pictures and informations from facebook, or Myspace, or thru your friends who is your enemies till your physical address is confirm me before the final destionation will snare your life. So, please you better be perpare to tell you family or whoever. Go ahead to tell police station in your own location. John doe
Sending physical threats via email is a federal crime. I have reported this to http://www.ic3.gov/ (aka the FBI) and the LAPD as well as Inbox.com.
I have also sent email and IP information for SCOOT3R to these authorities and agencies.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

You know.... I actually defended the whole situation for a bit until he just started bashing things without reason. I don't know if there's a language barrier or not. Honestly, I don't care. ModernBuddy couldn't have/shouldn't have been the first exposure to the internet for him. Any forum he might have visited would have questioned the grammar first and the punctuation second... to an extent. Even 4-chan has standards...

I think we've all been trolled quite effectively. There were a number of inconsistencies in his posts that suggested that he wasn't being completely honest. When he was flustered, his writing got very close to perfect (pronouns and all!). The punctuation was just horrific, but again, improved with confrontation.

Threats just made it worse, especially when he threatened someone for doing something that he asked for... I've got no concern with him being gone. Good riddance to bad rubbish. Shall we let this one die? Please?
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
thehypercube

Post by thehypercube »

ericalm wrote:Email I just received from "modernbuddy@inbox.com":
Admin, I knew you reside in califorina. If i see you at scooter events or your place: I promise you that I will kill you with serious weapon! Swear on your grave. I will start to collecting your pictures and informations from facebook, or Myspace, or thru your friends who is your enemies till your physical address is confirm me before the final destionation will snare your life. So, please you better be perpare to tell you family or whoever. Go ahead to tell police station in your own location. John doe
Sending physical threats via email is a federal crime. I have reported this to http://www.ic3.gov/ (aka the FBI) and the LAPD as well as Inbox.com.
I have also sent email and IP information for SCOOT3R to these authorities and agencies.
Too bad the LAPD is tied up with Michael Jackson's traveling circus. Stay safe. This guy sounds unstable. I tried my best to be nice but he has gone way, way too far.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

I don't know... Its signed John Doe.... Are you SURE it was Scoot3r?

After all the style of writing doesn't point to him at ALL! :roll:
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

Well, only two misspelled words here anyway. He's getting better...

Seriously, I hope the authorities you reported him to trace him down and teach him a good lesson. -A large fine, confiscation of his computer, maybe even some jail time! IMO his email to you amounts to what is called 'making terroristic threats'!! :shock:
Last edited by Drumwoulf on Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Hey Eric don't worry that John Doe guy was just found floating in the bay around here your good :lol:
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
Thadsgood

eric

Post by Thadsgood »

Eric, I don't even consider it a normal week online unless some crazy idiot issues me a death threat.
iwabj

Post by iwabj »

Does this mean the Government is going to shut down MB till the complete their thorough investigation?
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Geez! That's not even a mild "I'm gonna kick your butt" threat. There's multiple mentions of ending your life? Please keep us informed as to what the authorities find out and what they do. I wish I could get your back for you but I'm all the way in Ohio. Be safe.
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

In Ohio that is called Menacing and you go to jail for that.
laxer

Post by laxer »

Wow, told you so, wow.

Edit--just tell me where he's at and I'll kick his ass.
Last edited by laxer on Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

I'm still lookin for a reason to have an old timey pitchfork and torches type mob, you just let us know if ya need help Eric. :twisted:
The RH/Rattler crowd most def, has yer back. Ray Knobs you down?
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Eric:

I don't think you've got too much to worry about. However, given Scoot3r's hopelessly crossed wires, I suspect that some poor b*st*rd named Eric Clam is in for a surprise.
Coffeejunkie

Post by Coffeejunkie »

r0sa wrote:reading all the posts posted by SCOOT3R was quite entertaining, his bad grammar was just hilarious...

than again, he did cause a lot of trouble around here, and pissed everybody off by bashing them :?
I agree, being married to a Grammar Nazi I've come to learn the humor that lies in poorly written rantings.

Also like everyone else has said, he really did start to get way out of hand.
Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

http://javascoots.wordpress.com/
ERik3tb

Post by ERik3tb »

laxer wrote:Wow, told you so, wow.

Edit--just tell me where he's at and I'll kick his ass.
Now play nice Laxer. We don't "kick his @$$" here.

We may, however, escort them into the parking lot for a talking to.
Heroism is being scared as hell and saddling up anyways - John Wayne
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

Ericalm - you do a GREAT job with MB. Thank you! I am so sorry that you have to deal with something like this.
Clearly.