whats up with scooter clubs and alcohol?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I thought I finally found the only scooter forum free of skinhead rants. Oh well, it had to happen sooner or later.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

illnoise wrote:I thought I finally found the only scooter forum free of skinhead rants. Oh well, it had to happen sooner or later.

Bb.
Well, there was alcohol, and there were scooters. The skins were bound to show up at some time. :D
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

All I got to say is this thread certainly lived up to the topic. :lol:
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

illnoise, I would like to state for the record that it was not I who brought up skinsheads although I am the party responsible for the rant :lol: If you really want to see me rant try bringing up Quadrophenia, the whole movie revolves around two things I can't stand to be around, drugs and mods :lol:
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

illnoise wrote:I thought I finally found the only scooter forum free of <b>Scooter Dave</b> rants. Oh well, it had to happen sooner or later.

Bb.
Fixed that for ya :P
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

SteMer wrote:By the way, Dave, when do the "I visited ScooterDave in the ICU" shirts come out?
While I was amazed and I am and super appreciative of the huge number of scooterists that came to visit me in the ICU, that is one of the few events in my life I do not want to be reminded of.

Instead, I was thinking that I would let you come down to my office next week & buy me lunch.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

ScooterDave wrote:
SteMer wrote:By the way, Dave, when do the "I visited ScooterDave in the ICU" shirts come out?
While I was amazed and I am and super appreciative of the huge number of scooterists that came to visit me in the ICU, that is one of the few events in my life I do not want to be reminded of.

Instead, I was thinking that I would let you come down to my office next week & buy me lunch.
Hey how's your recovery going on that? They let you back on the scoots yet?
ScooterDave

Post by ScooterDave »

Kaos wrote:Hey how's your recovery going on that? They let you back on the scoots yet?
Thanks for asking. I am almost 100% again. I have just had to adjust almost every aspect of my life. Lots of salads instead of double cheeseburgers, a shitload of meds and an almost nonexistent consumption of alcohol. Oh yeah, the doctors told me it was best if I quit smoking. That sucks the most.

I have been riding since the end of June. They were just concerned I would tear open the incision they made if I rode.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

yup, quitting smoking sucks big time. I switched to snus but its kinda a pain to order the stuff from sweden and the camel crap tastes like candy. I've not smoked in over a year and it still sucks. I asked my dad who quit for 13 years and then started up again if you ever just didn't want to smoke anymore. He laughed at me and basically said, welcome to hell :evil: Sorry to here about the salads, they suck too, my wife is always trying to get me to eat them :lol:
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
bunny

Post by bunny »

I'm in a Meetup scooter group here. THe guy that started it appears to be a more drink/less ride kind of guy. He also rides a Chinese thing like it's a crotch rocket, smokes profusely while riding and doesn't follow the general courtesies of group scooter rides...nonetheless, it's the only scooter group in my near vicinity. As I am sort of an assertive rabbit, I will often speak up and say, "MORE riding, please!"

Sometimes we ride longer than others. My sister in law joined the same group and went on a ride and said the same thing, more riding, less drinking.

Yes, clubs are social gatherings of like minded people. However, like minded does mean same minded. Go, be social, interact with others, enjoy the ride...and if their drinking disturbs you, leave. I have many recovering alcoholic friends who have no problem being in a bar with their O'Douls or Sharp's non-alcohol beers. And my drinking friends have no problem with non-drinkers. Respect one another, don't judge and discount because someone who is similar to you is NOT you, KWIM? It's the ride and the road that brought you together, not the booze.
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jasondavis48108 wrote:If you really want to see me rant try bringing up Quadrophenia, the whole movie revolves around two things I can't stand to be around, drugs and mods :lol:
Oh, see I always thought it revolved around one thing I can't stand to be around: Whiny, self-involved, navel-gazing slacker with no real problems in life but who, despite his occasional ability to score with the babes, is so angstful and wretched he feels compelled to steal another man's GS and run it off a cliff.
ScooterDave wrote:Oh yeah, the doctors told me it was best if I quit smoking. That sucks the most.
So you would have kept doing it if the doctor's hadn't told you to? You were rather proud of your ability to smoke while riding and other aspects of your hard drinkin', hard livin' lifestyle. Of course, it would be best if everyone quit smoking…
(I still puff one on occasion, particularly for some reason on scooter rides. Probably because I don't go out to bars anymore! Hey, that was almost relevant to this topic. I could probably cut down on the cheeseburgers and such as well. Maybe there's a lesson to be learned here. I was almost onto it, but got distracted by all that skinhead malarky.)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ScooterDave

Post by ScooterDave »

bunny wrote:I'm in a Meetup scooter group here. THe guy that started it appears to be a more drink/less ride kind of guy. He also rides a Chinese thing like it's a crotch rocket, smokes profusely while riding and doesn't follow the general courtesies of group scooter rides...nonetheless, it's the only scooter group in my near vicinity. As I am sort of an assertive rabbit, I will often speak up and say, "MORE riding, please!"
One of my better friends at times owns this fancy one off custom Ducati and would do group rides with the local Ducati guys. Afterwards he would always bitch about it was a 30 minute ride to a restaurant or bar and not really riding at all. Because he is a good friend, he has given me shit for the last 20 years for riding a scooter.

I suggested he start riding with us as we tend to go on 2+ hour weekly rides. He started riding and ended up buying a P200 and his girlfriend bought a P125.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

ScooterDave wrote:
bunny wrote:I'm in a Meetup scooter group here. THe guy that started it appears to be a more drink/less ride kind of guy. He also rides a Chinese thing like it's a crotch rocket, smokes profusely while riding and doesn't follow the general courtesies of group scooter rides...nonetheless, it's the only scooter group in my near vicinity. As I am sort of an assertive rabbit, I will often speak up and say, "MORE riding, please!"
One of my better friends at times owns this fancy one off custom Ducati and would do group rides with the local Ducati guys. Afterwards he would always bitch about it was a 30 minute ride to a restaurant or bar and not really riding at all. Because he is a good friend, he has given me shit for the last 20 years for riding a scooter.

I suggested he start riding with us as we tend to go on 2+ hour weekly rides. He started riding and ended up buying a P200 and his girlfriend bought a P125.
Heh, I've got a friend like that. I finally got him to come on one of our scooter rides. He's not yet gotten a scooter of his own, so its kinda funny to see 18 scooters, and 1 Triumph Speedmaster :)
ScooterDave

Post by ScooterDave »

ericalm wrote:
ScooterDave wrote:Oh yeah, the doctors told me it was best if I quit smoking. That sucks the most.
So you would have kept doing it if the doctor's hadn't told you to? You were rather proud of your ability to smoke while riding and other aspects of your hard drinkin', hard livin' lifestyle. Of course, it would be best if everyone quit smoking…
I can not say I was proud of it. It is just the way it was. I enjoyed smoking. It was a stress relief to me. I drank but honestly I can count on one hand the times I was actually drunk in the past year.

Yes, I would have kept smoking and living the lifestyle i did if I did not have the heart attack. The main factor was stress. Owning retail stores plus being a single father along with all the other factors put me on the fast track.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

ScooterDave wrote:
ericalm wrote:
I can not say I was proud of it. It is just the way it was. I enjoyed smoking. It was a stress relief to me. I drank but honestly I can count on one hand the times I was actually drunk in the past year.

Yes, I would have kept smoking and living the lifestyle i did if I did not have the heart attack. The main factor was stress. Owning retail stores plus being a single father along with all the other factors put me on the fast track.
Yeah it can. I've not owned a business in a while, but when I did, it got me some gray hairs.

I have a lot of respect for single parents. I've got me AND my wife to chase my 2 year old around, and it's hard work!
digital-entropy

Post by digital-entropy »

Anyone else here homebrew?
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

ericalm wrote:... I could probably cut down on the cheeseburgers and such as well...
But you've got access to In-N-Out Burger...how could you even contemplate giving up cheeseburgers?
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

siobhan wrote:
ericalm wrote:... I could probably cut down on the cheeseburgers and such as well...
But you've got access to In-N-Out Burger...how could you even contemplate giving up cheeseburgers?
Serious. In-n-out is always my first stop after stepping off the plane when I visit my inlaws in Phoenix.
bunny

Post by bunny »

*salivating*

In-N-Out Burgers....ohhhhhhhhhhhh

meh. We have Blue Bell ice cream and Dairy Queen soft serves.

Not exactly a fair trade off, but it works on occasion. And sometimes I go to CA and hit up the In-N-Out. They need to put one in each terminal at LAX...
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

JEEBUS, YOU HAVE BLUE BELL!!! I've got diddly squat here in PA. :x
ModBud #442
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Kaos wrote:
siobhan wrote:
Serious. In-n-out is always my first stop after stepping off the plane when I visit my inlaws in Phoenix.
I have one less than a mile from me! I don't hit it often because it's often crowded (lines into the street) and there are better burgers to be had in LA, even up here in the lower SF Valley (blasphemy, I know).

But every once in a while I get a hankerin' for that specific unique In-N-Out burger with the cheese running down the sides and their stringy little fries…

You people are a bad influence on me. :twisted:
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

We've got a small chain here in N.E. Ohio called 5 Guys. OH MAN! Great freaking burgers. When you get it to go they put your burger in the bag, your order of fries in the bag, and then they fill the rest of the bag with fries. Fresh cut, cooked in peanut oil fries. SO GOOD! I know they're other places the just Ohio.

http://www.fiveguys.com/home.aspx
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

djelliott wrote:We've got a small chain here in N.E. Ohio called 5 Guys. OH MAN! Great freaking burgers. When you get it to go they put your burger in the bag, your order of fries in the bag, and then they fill the rest of the bag with fries. Fresh cut, cooked in peanut oil fries. SO GOOD! I know they're other places the just Ohio.

Is it "5 guys burgers and frys"? They just opened one of those near me.
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Kaos wrote:
djelliott wrote:We've got a small chain here in N.E. Ohio called 5 Guys. OH MAN! Great freaking burgers. When you get it to go they put your burger in the bag, your order of fries in the bag, and then they fill the rest of the bag with fries. Fresh cut, cooked in peanut oil fries. SO GOOD! I know they're other places the just Ohio.

Yes! Go there now if you love all things burger and fries!
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
Syd

Post by Syd »

Ha! This thread has turned into the text version of Associations - a picture game.

It started with clubs and booze, wandered into just booze, sidetracked into skin and bone heads, took a short diversion into Scooter Dave's health (I'm glad to see you back Dave; you were getting a little warm and fuzzy right after your cardiac event), and has now morphed into the best burgers. I love this board.

Oh, and the best burgers are at Bun Huggers in Flagstaff. Charred and juicy, condiment bar, so you don't need to ask for more jalapeños, and beer.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Kaos wrote:

This is not a good sign. :twisted:
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

jrsjr wrote:
Kaos wrote:

Yep, sounds to me like sales are gonna go up at that location.
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
Syd

Post by Syd »

jrsjr wrote:
Kaos wrote:

Maybe one of the 5 guys moved to Oregon. Otherwise I agree. chains mean somebody has moved from making money on selling food to making money on selling restaurants. That's never good.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Oh jeez, sorry scooterdave! We didn't mean to alienate you because you're now a reformed burger eater. I hope your feelings weren't hurt. :D QUICK, someone start talking about salad bars!
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

djelliott wrote:
jrsjr wrote:
Kaos wrote: Is it "5 guys burgers and frys"? They just opened one of those near me.
Ack! The plot thickens! Their store locater shows one mere blocks from my office! and I didn't bring lunch!
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Kaos wrote:
djelliott wrote:
jrsjr wrote: This is not a good sign. :twisted:
Ack! The plot thickens! Their store locater shows one mere blocks from my office! and I didn't bring lunch!
YEA! Burger and fries for you!
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
ScooterDave

Post by ScooterDave »

djelliott wrote:Oh jeez, sorry scooterdave! We didn't mean to alienate you because you're now a reformed burger eater. I hope your feelings weren't hurt. :D QUICK, someone start talking about salad bars!
It is ok. I just came back from lunch with my business partner. I had the chefs salad (extra turkey no ham) and watched him eat a BLT double decker. Painful as bacon is so damn good. But, it is what it is.
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

Who needs bacon :roll: :lol:
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

polianarchy wrote:JEEBUS, YOU HAVE BLUE BELL!!! I've got diddly squat here in PA. :x
You're kidding, right? How long have you been in Philly? Get yourself down to the Reading Terminal for a big scoop of Bassetts. They were making "premium" ice cream before there was premium ice cream. Or, if you want something a little different, head to the Jersey shore for some Kohr's. Oh my god, Blue Bell tastes like cardboard compared to these two.

As far as "getting" Scooter Dave's sense of humor, it has nothing to do with any sort of region. If you get it, you have a sense of humor. If you don't get it, well, I don't really need to state the obvious...
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

gt1000 wrote:
polianarchy wrote:JEEBUS, YOU HAVE BLUE BELL!!! I've got diddly squat here in PA. :x
You're kidding, right? How long have you been in Philly? Get yourself down to the Reading Terminal for a big scoop of Bassetts. They were making "premium" ice cream before there was premium ice cream. ...
I wholeheartedly second this suggestion. Ummm, Bassetts, sitting at the counter, delicious chocolate ice cream, ummmm.

And while you're at the Terminal, grab some Famous 4th Street chocolate chip cookies, so hot and gooey!
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I wonder if I can side track the next group ride to end up at 5 Guys.... mmmmm
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Lostmycage wrote:I wonder if I can side track the next group ride to end up at 5 Guys.... mmmmm
Holy crap. :+!: on 5 Guys. I think I just gained about 5 pounds.... And I'm not out of fries yet....
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I have to go there with 3 other people to order the fries. I appreciate the generosity, but the amount of calories that they tempt me with is equal to a week at my Mom's house with her incredible home cooking.
Lookin' To Scoot

Post by Lookin' To Scoot »

Five Guys burgers have it all over In-n-Out. Cheeseburger, grilled onions, lettuce, tomato, green peppers, jalapenos. Yum! Nothing at InO can compare with that. The fries at 5G, on the other hand, are a bit too greasy for my taste.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies ... hise_N.htm

Syd - :+!: on Bun Huggers in Flag.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Well, thanks to this thread, I've got a ragin' cravin' for a burger and beer.

[edit: I *did* mean burger, lol]
Last edited by Lostmycage on Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lookin' To Scoot

Post by Lookin' To Scoot »

Lostmycage wrote:Well, thanks to this thread, I've got a ragin' cravin' for a buger and beer.
I sure as hell hope you meant a burger!
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Lookin' To Scoot wrote:
Lostmycage wrote:Well, thanks to this thread, I've got a ragin' cravin' for a buger and beer.
I sure as hell hope you meant a burger!
was I the only one that laughed at kaos saying something about 5 guys making him gain 5 pounds? Sure hope he was talking about the burgers and fries.
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Nope,you weren't the only one. :rofl:
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

gt1000 wrote: Or, if you want something a little different, head to the Jersey shore for some Kohr's.
Kohr's is my sister and her son and ex-husband et alia
Frozen custard. made with eggs. Noice

Eat it up friends!

Also, DJElliott.
if you get sick of the dreamland ribs next time you all come to birmingham, we can take you to our local 5 guys
Sombre-clair

Post by Sombre-clair »

Oh yeah, the doctors told me it was best if I quit smoking. That sucks the most.
Ha well it is hard to smoke while scooting....so you will just have to scoot even MORE!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Sombre-clair wrote:
Oh yeah, the doctors told me it was best if I quit smoking. That sucks the most.
Ha well it is hard to smoke while scooting...
You might think so, but it wasn't for ScooterDave!
ScooterDave wrote:For those that smoke, it is common to smoke while riding. I smoke regularly when I ride. Not a big deal. I ride with a number of scooterists that smoke.

One of the reasons I wear a modular is so I can smoke while I ride.
But seriously, SD, I hope you can apply that willfulness and effort to getting better and getting healthy.
naptime

Post by naptime »

thankfully i havent had a puff in 3 and a half years!!!

but i'll tell ya what... i was a 4 pack a dayer.... i woulda found a way to smoke on the scooter !!

i smoked while shaving, showering, riding a bike.. heck i remember smoking while out jogging.. WHILE jogging.

but.. 3 and half years without.. feels amazing!!
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Dude, when out west, you've got to have What-a-Burger! I&O is fair, but no competition for the What-a-Burger with fries and a side of white gravy.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
chicagoscooterclub

Post by chicagoscooterclub »

Interesting thread. As the founding member and organizer of my club It's nice to see what some may be thinking but not saying about some of our meetups.

We have Sunday meetups (without Rides planned) at a bar/restaurant no one i have seen has had more than 3 beers. Added to that we always have food, and we are there for at least 2 hours.

We have some who don't drink at all.

Chicago is a bar city.

Eric and Others, LOL on the Quadrophenia comments, even though I like the movie i found them hilariously truthful.

Illnoise, yet again proves why he is one of the top voices in the scooter community, well done. (i'm such a kiss ass)
I'm an Animal
Chicago Scooter Club
Scooter is our middle name
www.chicagoscooterclub.com
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

I thought scooters and beer was like air and breathing?? Just a normal, every day thing.

Though, truth be told... I will have only 1 at most with food... and if there is no food involved I usually stick to water, soda or tea.

I would hate to get into an accident (especially if it's not my fault) and get the short end of the stick because I had 1 beer.

Ride safe!!