Cup holders

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

golfingirl

Cup holders

Post by golfingirl »

Okay. I would love a cup holder for my buddy. I need it for coffee so security is key. Has anyone added a cup holder and done some mods inside the glove box to accomodate one?
Laura
prttynpnk

Cup holders

Post by prttynpnk »

I think I've seen this product in other posts on this site. Try scooteraccessoriesonline.com. It's called a Skooter Pak. You would probably need to use a mug or cup with a closeable lid.

Also, as a side note. I'm new to the forum. My pink buddy was delivered last month and I'm glad there are others as obsessed with scooters as I am! Unfortunately, I haven't been able to ride much due to the weather in Cleveland! Since I'm new to scootering this forum is a great place for information and ideas.
Lisa

Life is too short to blend in.
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

I will check out that site. Thanks.

And welcome to Modern Buddy and scooter ownership. This is a great forum. Excellent people here that are more than willing to help out. It's a great place to share your excitement about riding a Buddy.
Laura
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

I wonder if a chunk of Styrofoam with a hole cut out for the mug would work. You could shape it so it fits snuggly in half the cubby space.
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

when i picked my scoot up there was another guy at the shop with a cup holder (not on a buddy unfortunatly) but he said he got a cupholder for a boat, for fishing. it wiggles as he turns and manuvers, and spills very little. his scoot didnt have the cubby space, so it mounted on that vertical area by the knees very well. i'm not sure where this might work better on a buddy. w/o sacrificing the cubby space a great deal.
Steezy

Post by Steezy »

I just got a very durable coffee thermos from starbucks, (with a latch that snaps into the drink hole) and I keep it in the cubby hole. Works like a charm!
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

I believe what you're looking for is called the Orbex Caddie-Buoy Bar Buoy Beverage Holder. Google it and you'll see what I'm talking about.
There also beverage holders made by Kool Rider and Kruzer Kaddy.
-K
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
planowayne

Post by planowayne »

Just stuff that cubby full of chocolate covered expresso beans!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
Keys

Post by Keys »

Planowayne, that's the best idea yet! My band mates and I survive on those things during a gig....

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
Steezy

Post by Steezy »

Kevin K wrote:I believe what you're looking for is called the Orbex Caddie-Buoy Bar Buoy Beverage Holder. Google it and you'll see what I'm talking about.
There also beverage holders made by Kool Rider and Kruzer Kaddy.
-K
Do you have one of these? Looks perfect, but wondered if you had any first hand knowledge.
merlin

Post by merlin »

this looks promising, could mount it on the handle bars or in a rear rack.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COOL-RID ... dZViewItem
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

I've been working on a cup holder as well (got to have coffee!) What I found is a large travel mug with a handle that is open at the bottom works well. you slip the handle over the side of the glove box and the cup sits inside. The only downside to the one I have is that it's scratching the plastic on the outside of the glove box.

I bought a cheap cup holder at Target and will probably mount it with velcro inside the glovebox. That way I can remove it when I want.

If I can find my camera, I'll take some pictures.
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

velcro is a super good idea
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

First off, forget about holding the cups you get at Starbucks or the soda fountain at Burger King. Are y'all nuts? heh heh

The right answer, as some above have suggested, is a container+container holder system.

They've been making bottle cages and bottles for bicycles forever. It's a cheap solution that works great. Those bottles should fit safely inside the buddy tray, or you can affix the cage to just about any scooter shield - if you are willing to drill a couple of holes. Standard water bottles and liter size plastic soda bottles also fit perfectly in the cages. Get sports caps to replace the regular caps before riding.

You can find some nice thermal coffee travel mugs that fit in the cages, no "sports nipple" for drinking on the road, so you'll look cool drinking at a stop.

Next y'all will be asking the best way to mount a french fry container holder and burrito tray. Uh huh. Don't try to deny it.

-Mark
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

BlueMark wrote:
Next y'all will be asking the best way to mount a french fry container holder and burrito tray. Uh huh. Don't try to deny it.
Only on a hot day would i be tempted, can't be eating cold fries. i have noticed the engine will keep fast food warm on the drive home if it's chilly out. (in underseat space)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The problem with most MC cup holders is that they require either a longer handlebar or some type of mount. I've used one of these (pic below) on the Vespa, but I don't think it'll stick to the inside of the Buddy's glove bucket. Fortunately, a lot of to go cups and bottles fit in there just fine. (I've also had a couple unfortunate suction cup failures that led to Jamba Juice all over my floorboards).

I'm still seeking an ideal cup solution, though. I thought about designing and making something but like many "I'll make my own!" plans, it asn't quite come together yet.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I think the container in container idea is by far the most secure, but I'm still trying to grasp how I should fit or modify a cupholder to fit into the glovebox.

Ideally, I would like to have the cupholder sit inside the glovebox area securely, maybe permanently. I have thought about perhaps securing one by screwing it thru the plastic glovebox... too extreme?

I don't think the suction cup one would work either. Plus I would like to leave that space open to hang my grocery bag on the hook.

I also don't think there's enough room on the handle bars to place a ring with cupholder attachment on it.

I'll let you know when I come up with a good solution.

Thanks again everyone for your input!

:D
Laura
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

Get a large commuter cup that will fit in the compartment. I lucked out and had one I bought a few years ago. The handle holds it in place. Perfect for coffee on the go. :) Smaller travel cups tend to tip over since the compartment is so big so the handle was key.
Attachments
buddy.coffee.sm.jpg
buddy.coffee.sm.jpg (66.34 KiB) Viewed 2336 times
moniraq

Post by moniraq »

I saw somebody on our last group ride who had a commuter mug stuffed inside a foam koozie. She said it worked great and kept the mug from moving around.
louie

Post by louie »

velcro is indeed your friend and a koozie type holder could work in tandom inside the cubbie. I put my cheap travel mug someone left at my house in the cubbie and stuff a towel in to keep it upright. no $!
On our canoes we have a velcro strip on the canoe and on several koozies. It rocks. The velcro doesn't last more than a couple of years in the water. After all what fun is a canoe if your not going to turn it over.
jgalar

Post by jgalar »

Most of you do not have the riding experience to be messing with drinking coffee while riding.
I am sure if your name is not in the who has crashed topic than it will be.

I have been road riding for close to 35 years without any accidents
(keeping fingers crossed) not being distracted by trivial things like drinking
coffee while riding is part of the reason.
louie

Post by louie »

jgalar wrote:Most of you do not have the riding experience to be messing with drinking coffee while riding.
I am sure if your name is not in the who has crashed topic than it will be.

I have been road riding for close to 35 years without any accidents
(keeping fingers crossed) not being distracted by trivial things like drinking
coffee while riding is part of the reason.
I'm just riding to work with my coffee. I didn't think we were talking about riding and drinking... :shock:
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

This has always worked well for me.

Dave
jgalar

Post by jgalar »

A thermos will fit nicely under the seat then.
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

well dave is that hat crash test rated? maybe a little modification could put that gear onto a real helmet.
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

jgalar -

I travel between several work locations during the day and carry my coffee with me. I don't drink it while I am riding, but I would like to take a half finished cup of coffee with me rather then leave it behind to get cold.

Regards -

PasadenaSue
moniraq

Post by moniraq »

This isn't necessarily for coffee but on the big scooter ride we just had, I didn't want to worry about getting water at the stops so I bought a camelback and hooked it on the hook and made sure the tube was long enough for me to pull up and clip on my shirt and voila! instant drinking whenever I needed it without ever taking my hands off the handlebars.
yobebe

cup holder

Post by yobebe »

i bought a cup holder for my buddy on motorsports scooters. it attaches with 2 suction cups. unfortunately, when i put my water bottle in, it fell off. though i don't recommend the cup holder, they do have some great accesories fo the buddy. i purchased my windshield, chrome luggage rack and a fabric top box fotr my scoot! :D
sotied

Post by sotied »

sunshinen wrote:I wonder if a chunk of Styrofoam with a hole cut out for the mug would work. You could shape it so it fits snuggly in half the cubby space.
That's a really cool idea. I've taken to getting the extra large iced coffee or XL hot tea so the cup at least snuggles down into the glove area and doesn't move. But I have to drink about 1/3 of it before doing so.
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

*cough cough* man its dusty round hur. 8) just playin :( :) :D :lol:
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
flatblackbuddy

Post by flatblackbuddy »

Not sure if it was mentioned, but the Gen-U-Bin looks like it would work pretty well for you.

www.scooterdude.us
Dress for the crash, not for the ride

PIStaker

Post by PIStaker »

ericalm wrote:The problem with most MC cup holders is that they require either a longer handlebar or some type of mount. I've used one of these (pic below) on the Vespa, but I don't think it'll stick to the inside of the Buddy's glove bucket. Fortunately, a lot of to go cups and bottles fit in there just fine. (I've also had a couple unfortunate suction cup failures that led to Jamba Juice all over my floorboards).

I'm still seeking an ideal cup solution, though. I thought about designing and making something but like many "I'll make my own!" plans, it asn't quite come together yet.
Think outside the (storage)box. This works great for me. Holds big mugs. Mine is a 20oz Starbucks travel mug, and a 20 oz SIGG water bottle. I've also squeezed a large McDonald's Styrofoam cup (i usually double cup) in there as well. The carbon fiber really expands to accommodate, and is SUPER strong. Takes a lot of abuse.
It takes up a marginal amount of room, if you tend to transport things in the step through.
Installation about 5 minutes. Anyone can manage.
You don't have to go with carbon fiber. I found one dirt cheap on clearance at Walmart. It's a BELL, so it's a quality brand that I have seen in bicycle store for as much as $50. Walmart clearance... $7. Score!
I had an aluminum one there before, but it was pretty conspicuous. Black is the way to go.
No, I have never got my pant leg, or anything else caught in it.
Attachments
Metal.jpg
Metal.jpg (40.27 KiB) Viewed 1949 times
Green Mug.jpg
Green Mug.jpg (48.58 KiB) Viewed 1949 times
MYSCTR

Coffee Jacket ?!?! YES

Post by MYSCTR »

We bought something from Corazzo and got two of these free - they work real well with the plastic tumbler Jamba cups - nothing spills or slops as it is hanging free on the Buddy hook above the cubbie.

Oh - ya - drinking while driving (at least at stop lights etc) works great too - just keep a finger loose to loop the handle back over the hook. As easy as talking on the phone while riding. he he :lol: and the wife & daughter use them & no wrecks to date. :D

http://www.corazzo.net/the-coffee-jacket

nuff said!

ps: we can upload a picture Monday if you want to see it in action.