portland riders...i request your attention again

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Tacking onto the old Portland riders thread.

If you've ever had the experience of parking downtown at a metered spot, you know the joy of purchasing a permit and then taking it on faith that some cage driver isn't going to abscond with it for their own use. I stumbled across this recently. You can now get a permit holder, free of charge, from the city.
http://www.portlandonline.com/transport ... 9&a=334833

I ordered one last week, and it arrived today!
Attachments
ParkingPermit.jpg
ParkingPermit.jpg (90.53 KiB) Viewed 1105 times
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Now that is pretty clever. Thank you Portland.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

I keep meaning to order one of those. I've always worried about someone swiping my stub...
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I am visiting Portland now and am STUNNED how few scooters and MC's there are in this fine city. What the heck gives? I have seen one Buddy, 0 vespas, 3 mets, and 2-3 chinese in 5 days. Disgraceful!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

peabody99 wrote:I am visiting Portland now and am STUNNED how few scooters and MC's there are in this fine city. What the heck gives? I have seen one Buddy, 0 vespas, 3 mets, and 2-3 chinese in 5 days. Disgraceful!
Wow, you must be in some sorta alternate universe. I usually see 6-10 scooters and at least that many motorcycles EVERY morning on my commute!

If you've got your bike up here with you there's a big group ride saturday to the Steam vehicle museum's annual Steamup event.

Sadly I can't go this year, as its my wife's high school reunion. But there are usually 50+ bikes on that ride.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Well I am staying downtown (scooterless, rode aeroplane), but have walked much of the city NW/Pearl, SW, and so on, and have been to to near areas such as whereever Fire on the Mountain on N interstate is ...and out to the coast. I am not kidding, but there are 10X as many scooters in Cleveland than here, San Diego 50X as more. I did not see one scooter today and I was out on the streets all day... a gorgeous sunny day. scratching my head....
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

peabody99 wrote:Well I am staying downtown (scooterless, rode aeroplane), but have walked much of the city NW/Pearl, SW, and so on, and have been to to near areas such as whereever Fire on the Mountain on N interstate is ...and out to the coast. I am not kidding, but there are 10X as many scooters in Cleveland than here, San Diego 50X as more. I did not see one scooter today and I was out on the streets all day... a gorgeous sunny day. scratching my head....
Bizarre. I know we're not the MOST scooter populated town in the world, but we're not doing too badly...
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Well it is my fault probably. I have always imagined portland to be sort of eutopia which would somehow include being overrun with scooters. Silly me. I still think it is an awesome city, the food is tasty and I like the bookstore :)
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

peabody99 wrote:Well it is my fault probably. I have always imagined portland to be sort of eutopia which would somehow include being overrun with scooters. Silly me. I still think it is an awesome city, the food is tasty and I like the bookstore :)
Yeah, its more likely you'll be overrun by bicycles before scooters :)
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Kaos wrote:
peabody99 wrote:Well it is my fault probably. I have always imagined portland to be sort of eutopia which would somehow include being overrun with scooters. Silly me. I still think it is an awesome city, the food is tasty and I like the bookstore :)
Yeah, its more likely you'll be overrun by bicycles before scooters :)
I was going to say the same thing - we're way more of a bike city than a scooter city. Somehow, in this crunchy granola place, word has not gotten out about the environmental benefits of riding a 4 stroke scooter. Of course, the other thing is that it rains about 9 months out of the year, which scares a lot of people off. Anyhow, you couldn't have chosen a better time to be here. It's freakin' amazing this time of year. Enjoy your stay! If you see a tiny person wearing an orange 5.0 perched atop an Italia, give me a wave. :D