portland riders...i request your attention again

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

betsy q. bramble

portland riders...i request your attention again

Post by betsy q. bramble »

hi there!

so i up and moved into your town, and my scooter is arriving today. i've only seen one buddy, but then again, i have yet to venture out more than 30 blocks away from my dwelling. anyone here own the black and silver buddy and live near the stumptown on division?

so any tips in riding in this town, parking, getting over the river, group rides, etc etc etc...please share! thank you.
buddywork orange

P-town

Post by buddywork orange »

Although I live in PHX now I did live in Portland area for 13 years (one year downtown). That place would be awesome for people who own skoots except when it rains and there is alot of that. North, west and east sides are cool from the West Hills to Alberta St. to everything in between. Fooderies are awesome and all over from Habbies (sp) middle eastern to the Montage mac and cheese (no really its awesome). Enjoy, it will be no time before you meet alot of skoots. I kind of miss that place :cry:
Syd

Post by Syd »

Don't you feel the humidity in the Valley today b.o.? It sure feels like Portland!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Portland_Rider
Location: Free Territory of the Pacific Northwest (Kalifornia refugee)

Re: portland riders...i request your attention again

Post by Portland_Rider »

betsy q. bramble wrote:hi there!

so i up and moved into your town, and my scooter is arriving today. i've only seen one buddy, but then again, i have yet to venture out more than 30 blocks away from my dwelling. anyone here own the black and silver buddy and live near the stumptown on division?

so any tips in riding in this town, parking, getting over the river, group rides, etc etc etc...please share! thank you.

betsy,

Welcome to Portland! I live somewhat close to that area. Stumptown is my favorite coffee brewer. Do they actually serve coffee at that location or is that one of their wholesale brewing locations?

Portland is generally a very scooter and bicycle friendly town. Don't park on the sidewalks especially downtown or you can get ticketed. Avoid the bridges that have a steel base and ride over the ones with concrete. I know old time riders who will not ride on those bridges with the cut-out steel under their tires. Practice getting around during non-rush hour traffic so you get a feel for the streets layouts. Rush hour can start here after 3pm. Make sure you have good raingear. Be careful of riding over wet leaves (this is new to me as I don't yet have wet weather riding experience).

Go online to Meetup.com and join the ModernVespa club that has both Vespa and Buddy members and others. I just registered for MV and haven't yet met their members though I've heard nice talk about them. Also look up Oregon Scooter Club. OSC is a good group though their rides seem to be getting more focused on all-day eight plus hour rides and the size of the members scooter CCs seems to now be getting higher all the time as in 250s to 400 to 600 to more, etc which can for some become a different riding dynamic for a 150cc rider.

BTW, the Ricky's chain on Division is popular for $21 dollar haircuts. If you are a book lover, go check out Powell's Books.

What brought you out here?

PR
betsy q. bramble

thanks! yes this stumptown serves coffee, and roasts! i'm told it is the original.

so which bridges do NOT have the steel grating?

$21 haircuts? I like that! although the diy spirit of the town is compelling me to try and cut my own...but good to know where to go when i completely eff it up.

i have hit up powell's already.

i need more cafe and bar suggestions, and of course more on scooters. thanks for the info thus far...keep it comin!

OH here is another question...gas stations here seem to be full service. i am used to all self service. how does one handle this as a scooterist? are the employees familiar with and okay with allowing you to fill your own scoot?
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Hey Betsy! Welcome to our fair(ly wet) town!

Friend Vespa Portland on facebook, thats the #1 spot we all organize rides. Also get on their email list.

Ross Island Br, Morrison, and Burnside all are non-grated. Most of the others have short grates on them, except Hawthorne which is totally grated.

Stump town is AWESOME, also check out Voodoo Donuts ASAP!

You also live near P-Town Scooters on 34th and Division, which is a cool vintage scoot shop that also carries Buddy filters for cheap.

The Black and Silver COULD have been Collin, who posts here occasionally, as he has the only black and silver I've seen in PDX.

PM me if you want to go for a ride. There's 3 other scooterists in my office and we're all up for semi-last minute rides.

On that note, you and I are due for a ride, Portland Rider....

As far as parking, everyone is cool with scooters and motorcycles tucked away on sidewalks unless you're actually *IN* downtown, but there's lots of motorcycle parking down there, and you can park tail-in to the curb between spots as long as the car can get out.

You'll find that by and large, most people are very aware of you on the road. Thats probably due to the fact that there's a lot of Bicycles in PDX, and its not too different to look for bikes than for us.
broke

Post by broke »

Welcome to Portland Betsy!

I keep my eye on the Modern Vespa meetup.com group as well as the OSC's website for group rides:
http://oregonscooterclub.ning.com/

I live in the burbs and am boring, so I can't comment too much on exploring Portland ;-)
Want and need divide me. Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

betsy q. bramble wrote:OH here is another question...gas stations here seem to be full service. i am used to all self service. how does one handle this as a scooterist? are the employees familiar with and okay with allowing you to fill your own scoot?
Station attendants all seem to allow motorcycle and scooter riders to fill their own tank. No problem here as far as I know.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Dooglas wrote:
betsy q. bramble wrote:OH here is another question...gas stations here seem to be full service. i am used to all self service. how does one handle this as a scooterist? are the employees familiar with and okay with allowing you to fill your own scoot?
Station attendants all seem to allow motorcycle and scooter riders to fill their own tank. No problem here as far as I know.
Oregon does not allow cars to fill themselves by law. There is a motorcycle exemption, so you're OK to fill your bike yourself.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Betsy,
I don't have any advice to add here, just want to welcome you to Portland as well. I'm on the southwest side of town. Most of my riding so far has been confined to commuting downtown and short trips around the immediate area. It's all fun, as far as I'm concerned.

As for gas, my experience so far (and I've only filled up about 4 times) is that they have to hand you the nozzle and then you can pump your own from there. I'd love to know if others are able to just do the whole thing without assistance.

Welcome to Portland!

Rita
Gin

Post by Gin »

Betsy, welcome. I live to the south, in Salem. A whole different world from PDX. Still, I know that you are in a great scooter town.

+1 on the Oregon Scooter club. Google it. There are several Buddys in the club. The longer trips have been best for larger scoots, but there are plenty that work for smaller displacement scooters.

As for "self serve" gas, that's kind of an Oregon political sacred cow. There is no self-serve gas for cars. But by law, motorcyclists and scooterists can fill their own. Most station attendants will ask if you want to do it yourself.

Welcome to Oregon!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Gin wrote: +1 on the Oregon Scooter club. Google it. There are several Buddys in the club. The longer trips have been best for larger scoots, but there are plenty that work for smaller displacement scooters.
Yep, Portland Rider is in the OSC I believe. I'd join up if they didn't only ride on Sundays, that never works out for me. They're a good bunch though.... Take a look at their logo. My Buddy is in the blurred photo in the background :P
takora

Post by takora »

Welcome to Portland! There are tons of scooters, and Buddys, all over, you'll see 'em everywhere once you get out more.

For gassing up, the station attendant has to set up the sale and swipe your card. Then he'll hand you the nozzle to fill it yourself. I was curious about that, too when I started.

It's a great place for riding, you'll love it! The rain really hasn't even bugged me too much yet ;)
Portland_Rider

Post by Portland_Rider »

Betsy,

Others have already addressed how the filling-up process works at stations. I have always filled my tank after the attendent handed me the hose.

While the OSC Oregon Scooter Club has many dedicated scooter riders and a few collectors of older scoots, if you go to their site you'll find that most socials and rides are now for long distance rides and the bigger CCs seem to dominate more and more. I've heard how some of the members are a bit upset with the changes since the club was allegedly formed for scooter riders with more modest CC power. You can register for free on their site and request to be invited to one of their Meet and Greets or you can simply join them for any event that is not labelled for members only. Rick Fletcher is the OSC President and a wonderful source of advice and support.

One of my scooter friends suggested to me that I also avoid one of the concrete bridges. I'm not sure of the name now but it might be the Broadway Bridge. In any case, it is one of the bridges north of the Burnside Bridge that has two levels to it. My friend said that wind can get funneled into the lower level creating a very uncomfortable windy ride. Apparently, the wind is or can be much worse than the usual extra wind on top of a bridge. I'm curious what Kaos's thoughts are on this matter? My friend was also a bit uncomfortable with riding on the higher level.

I've kept my distance from riding Powell Street south of you when I can as I have noticed some of the worst cager driving so far. Note that I am a relatively newer rider.

If you are in need of any new scooter clothing, Corazzo headquarters is located in the NE quadrant. The Motorcycle Superstore is located in southern Oregon. I've ordered products Monday morning and have received delivery by Tuesday from the MS.

You may know by now that Portland goes by four quads: NE SE NW SW.

If you are not licensed or even if you are, check out the Team Oregon site for their classes. I took my Buddy through their 17 hour Basic Rider Course and got my license through them rather DMV. Fines and penalties are getting tougher for unlicensed riders if caught.

Vespa of Portland, the local Genuine dealer, is located in the NW Quad. Rob is the assistant manager and good to work with.

Portland has many fine Farmers's Markets. The International Rose Test Garden is an experience. The Japanese Gardens are great too.

Yes Kaos, we do need to go for a ride.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Portland_Rider wrote: One of my scooter friends suggested to me that I also avoid one of the concrete bridges. I'm not sure of the name now but it might be the Broadway Bridge. In any case, it is one of the bridges north of the Burnside Bridge that has two levels to it. My friend said that wind can get funneled into the lower level creating a very uncomfortable windy ride. Apparently, the wind is or can be much worse than the usual extra wind on top of a bridge. I'm curious what Kaos's thoughts are on this matter? My friend was also a bit uncomfortable with riding on the higher level.
Thats likely the Fremont bridge, its very large, multi level, and crazy. Its got a fairly fast speed limit and is VERY windy. I've done it a few times, but avoid it if possible.
Portland_Rider

Post by Portland_Rider »

Kaos wrote: Thats likely the Fremont bridge, its very large, multi level, and crazy. Its got a fairly fast speed limit and is VERY windy. I've done it a few times, but avoid it if possible.
Thanks Kaos.
Last edited by Portland_Rider on Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Portland_Rider

Post by Portland_Rider »

Kaos wrote:As far as parking, everyone is cool with scooters and motorcycles tucked away on sidewalks unless you're actually *IN* downtown, but there's lots of motorcycle parking down there, and you can park tail-in to the curb between spots as long as the car can get out.

Betsy,

Kaos put it well about parking.

In most cases you won't be ticketed outside of the downtown area for being on a sidewalk. Just use some common sense and decency. Tucked away is generally good. A scoot parked arrogantly in the middle of a sidewalk or in front of some business's fire-door deserves a ticket or a tow. BTW, most businesses have been fine when I've asked them if I can park my scoot say on their own private sidewalk near to but not blocking the entrance. This is Portland :D
GrittyTacoman

Post by GrittyTacoman »

Welcome to the Great Northwest!

You've already discovered wonderful Stumptown coffee, so all that's left to ensure a baseline level of tastebud happiness is finding your nearest McMenamin's brewpub. Enjoy!

Actually, so long as you're at the Portland Vespa in NW Portland, head a block over to Thurman and check out the St. Honore French bakery too. Mm boy!
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

ModBud #442
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

polianarchy wrote:Go here for happy hour!
Ohh, :+!: to that! Kenny and Zukes is AWESOME.... And its not exactly a "Portland" thing, but I'm thinking about it since I'm going to go to lunch there. But "5 Guys Burgers and Fries" is good stuff.
GrittyTacoman

Post by GrittyTacoman »

One of my fellow Tacomans really recommended Kenny and Zuke's. Haven't been able to try it yet but that menu polianarchy linked looks good!

2 Portland locations right? One by Powell's books and the one on Thurman by Portland Vespa and St. Honore bakery.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

GrittyTacoman wrote:One of my fellow Tacomans really recommended Kenny and Zuke's. Haven't been able to try it yet but that menu polianarchy linked looks good!

2 Portland locations right? One by Powell's books and the one on Thurman by Portland Vespa and St. Honore bakery.
Yep, and they're fantastic. They can be hard to get into though, as there is nearly always a HUGE line.

Often times on rides, Vespa Portland will order from them for our lunch break.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Yeah, I went during Happy Hour (the menu I linked! I think the regular hours are pricier) on a weekday, and it was reasonably crowded. We sat by one of the big plate glass windows and watched y'all P-landers walk by. It was a highlight of my visit, along with both locations of VooDoo Doughnuts & three of Powells books. :nerd:
ModBud #442
Carbolic

Post by Carbolic »

Welcome to Portland!

As far as I'm concerned, scooter/motorcycle parking in downtown sucks. Yes, you can park perpendicular between cars, but you still have to pay the same full price as cars/trucks. This is no way to encourage the less congestive, more efficient travel offered by scooters and motorcyles!

I want to start lobbying my city councilman to get parking fees for scooters/motorcycles either reduced or eliminated (not likely) altogether.

I thought I had found a good loophole when I read in the Oregon Revised Statutes that we can legally park in alleys if we're not blocking traffic, but then I discovered there are NO alleys in downtown SW.

Other than that one complaint, Portland is a very scooter-friendly city. To the people on this thread who live in Phoenix, I commend you as a former Phoenician. I would never have the guts to ride two wheels in that city's INSANE traffic. :goofy:
betsy q. bramble

i went by ptown scooters yesterday and met some of the gang there. i spotted an italia parked diagonally across the street. by the looks of everyones avatars, there are more than a few around portland. was it anyone here?

my scooter has arrived and i have reattached the mirrors but have yet to trudge down the street for gas. the weather has been so good for biking that i can't stop pedaling!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

betsy q. bramble wrote:i went by ptown scooters yesterday and met some of the gang there. i spotted an italia parked diagonally across the street. by the looks of everyones avatars, there are more than a few around portland. was it anyone here?

my scooter has arrived and i have reattached the mirrors but have yet to trudge down the street for gas. the weather has been so good for biking that i can't stop pedaling!
Nothing wrong with that, we're friendly to bikes too :) It was a fantastic ride today! Sunny and light traffic!
Portland_Rider

Post by Portland_Rider »

betsy q. bramble wrote:i went by ptown scooters yesterday and met some of the gang there. i spotted an italia parked diagonally across the street. by the looks of everyones avatars, there are more than a few around portland. was it anyone here?

Betsy,

Did the Italia have a black wire basket as in the Prima Metal Milk Crate in the back? Was it parked in front of some over-priced upscale desert cafe? Was it during the evening hours?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Carbolic wrote:As far as I'm concerned, scooter/motorcycle parking in downtown sucks. Yes, you can park perpendicular between cars, but you still have to pay the same full price as cars/trucks. This is no way to encourage the less congestive, more efficient travel offered by scooters and motorcyles!
Actually, downtown Portland has a fair number of designated motorcycle/scooter parking spots as well. Even little downtown Oregon City has some. Course, Portland is a pretty good sized city so downtown parking can be a hassle just like anyplace else. Somewhat easier in Northwest or the inner East side.
rudie11

Post by rudie11 »

betsy q. bramble wrote:
so which bridges do NOT have the steel grating?
Welcome to P-Town Betsy! The best bridges for riding over that do not have grating are the Steel (Black), Broadway (Red) and the Burnside.

I commute over the Broadway daily, (from NW to NoPo) but use the Steel pretty often as well.

Also, I am another Black/Silver Buddy Rider, with a Black Corazzo Jacket and White 3/4 Helmet.

Hope to see you on the road sometime!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Since most of the Portland Buddyists are here, I'll just mention that there will be a group ride Saturday, the 26th at 5PM starting at Vespa Portland.

We'll be riding down to the 99W Drive In Theater to catch a show. Its about 25 miles each way, and everyone is welcome. Please RSVP with me so I can let the theater know the count.
Portland_Rider

Portland Food Carts

Post by Portland_Rider »

Betsy

You might enjoy checking out the Portland Food Cart scene by going to the ones at Hawthorne and 12th Avenue (it's in your hood).

These aren't your typical food carts (others around Portland can be surprisingly good too) and the food can wow good. Yarp the pasta cart is incredible. Don't imagine it food cart fast food. Imagine gourment pasta cooked fresh; yum!

If you are interested, these carts are the later night ones: generally open 6pm to 3am and gnerally there Tuesday thhru Saturday give or take a bit. Tonight I'm going for the award winning BBQ cart.

If other locals would ever like to meet there, let me know.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Hey guys, just a reminder: Group ride tomorrow!
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

The Bramble in Portland! I'll have to ride the missing man formation on my next ride here in CT. Of course no one will realize it's the missing man formation cause I usually ride solo, but it's the thought that counts right?
EZPZ #65
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

So I figured I'd dig up an old thread, so I get most of the rest of you Portlanders by default ;)

I've been doing monthly(ish) group rides throughout the summer and some of the fall, and am curious if anyone is up for a November group ride, or if most people want to put it on hold for the season?
broke

Post by broke »

I'm up for a slow ride during the rainy days, but damn... 3 of 4 weekends in November are already spoken for. The only one I have open at the moment is Nov 21,22.

Sorry about being lame, but my kid's activities tend to dictate my weekends!

How is Betsy getting along here in Portland?
Want and need divide me. Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

broke wrote:I'm up for a slow ride during the rainy days, but damn... 3 of 4 weekends in November are already spoken for. The only one I have open at the moment is Nov 21,22.

Sorry about being lame, but my kid's activities tend to dictate my weekends!

How is Betsy getting along here in Portland?
Heh, nothing wrong with that. Kids SHOULD be your first priority :)

That weekend would likely work for me, if we're not too late into the evening, IVE got kid stuff at 5pm.

I've not talked to Betsy in a bit, I'm hoping she's too busy exploring the awesomeness that is P-Town to bother with us online types ;)
takora

Post by takora »

I'd certainly be interested! I think the 22nd might be best for me, but I might be able to make it other days, depending on the time... Where are you thinking of going?
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

takora wrote:I'd certainly be interested! I think the 22nd might be best for me, but I might be able to make it other days, depending on the time... Where are you thinking of going?
Haven't chosen a route yet, so feel free to chime in if there's somewhere that you'd like to do.

Its been a while since we've done the run to Crown Point, but the gorge may be cold this time of year.

We could do a more social thing and meet somewhere for grub.

We could do a run to Wilamette or Multnomah falls...

If we want something short, Saturday Market is still open that time of year.

We could do a run up through Washington Park, though its a lot of hills so if we have any 50's this may not be a good run.
Portland_Rider

Post by Portland_Rider »

I'm open to it. Damn, I got so drenched riding today to and back from an appointment about 16 round trip miles during the heaviest part of the rainfall.

I just got my new Vee Rubber tires in. Now do I want to keep these or return and get the Heidenau at P-Town?????
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

I'd might interested in going on a ride. This is my first year attempting to keep riding through foul weather (I had a motorcycle before, but I was strictly a fair weather rider), so I don't really know how I'll be doing by the end of November. So I can't say for sure. I can't do Saturday mornings - kid has a swim class.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

pdxrita wrote:I'd might interested in going on a ride. This is my first year attempting to keep riding through foul weather (I had a motorcycle before, but I was strictly a fair weather rider), so I don't really know how I'll be doing by the end of November. So I can't say for sure. I can't do Saturday mornings - kid has a swim class.
We usually do them saturday afternoons. Though I'm fairly flexible, only time I can't do is Sunday mornings.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Kaos wrote:
pdxrita wrote:I'd might interested in going on a ride. This is my first year attempting to keep riding through foul weather (I had a motorcycle before, but I was strictly a fair weather rider), so I don't really know how I'll be doing by the end of November. So I can't say for sure. I can't do Saturday mornings - kid has a swim class.
We usually do them saturday afternoons. Though I'm fairly flexible, only time I can't do is Sunday mornings.
Saturday afternoon would be perfect, assuming I haven't given in to the weather by that time. :cry: <recomposing> 8)
rudie11

Post by rudie11 »

question for pdx peeps...

anyone know a good scooter friendly lawyer?
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

rudie11 wrote:question for pdx peeps...

anyone know a good scooter friendly lawyer?
Uhh oh, what happened rudie?
rudie11

Post by rudie11 »

My roomie had an accident about almost two weeks ago... a car ran a stop sign as she had the right of way and caused her to lay her scoot down to avoid being hit. He slowed after but did not stop and left the scene. Apparenty he thought because she got up, he didnt have to stop.

Insurance is on top of it, but she just wanted to run through the situation with a lawyer to make sure all her bases were covered.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

So I'm thread-jacking in hopes of reviving some MIA Portlanders with this thread. ;)

Its that time of year again to start thinking about the season's first group ride!

Anyone have any suggestions for the day(I prefer Saturdays) and route?
I've got a few we could do, but want some opinions :)
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

I never got an e-mail about this, even though I am watching this thread. That funciton must have been down (or still down?).

I might be up for a shortish Saturday ride sometime. It would be cool to meet some other Portland MB'ers. I don't have any ideas for a route, though.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

pdxrita wrote:I never got an e-mail about this, even though I am watching this thread. That funciton must have been down (or still down?).

I might be up for a shortish Saturday ride sometime. It would be cool to meet some other Portland MB'ers. I don't have any ideas for a route, though.
It does that sometimes, drives me nuts :) If we get a few more people involved I'll post a date for a ride here.
superseagulls

Post by superseagulls »

Kaos wrote:So I'm thread-jacking in hopes of reviving some MIA Portlanders with this thread. ;)

Its that time of year again to start thinking about the season's first group ride!
Ditto! 2011, The sun MUST come out soon surely??? The demise of the old club that met for rides from scooter king.... etc etc Anyone interested in some meet ups and rides in the PDX area?
I have no problem re-starting a meetup.com group, to post impromptu rides, and have a generally low cc/Buddy/Stella friendly group!

Any suggestions....?
People say that I'm crazy
But I'm not that way inclined
I know what I know and I'll happily show
That madness is all in the mind
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

superseagulls wrote:
Kaos wrote:So I'm thread-jacking in hopes of reviving some MIA Portlanders with this thread. ;)

Ditto! 2011, The sun MUST come out soon surely??? The demise of the old club that met for rides from scooter king.... etc etc Anyone interested in some meet ups and rides in the PDX area?
I have no problem re-starting a meetup.com group, to post impromptu rides, and have a generally low cc/Buddy/Stella friendly group!

Any suggestions....?
The club hasn't really disappeared, we're just posting things on the Vespa Portland Facebook page to advertise rides(Of which there have been none yet this season)

That being said, I'm all for rides and meetups!

And you don't need sun to go for a ride, many of the riders in the group are perfectly fine riding in the rain(myself included).

Now, off to jump on the Vespa to ride to work :P