worst-case test of windshield: successful.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Cheshire

worst-case test of windshield: successful.

Post by Cheshire »

Good news! The windshield is shatter-resistant, if not shatterproof!
I don't recommend testing it by taking a direct hit from some :livid: :evil: :livid: girl chucking a chunk of concrete at me when the driver's attempted broadside (at 50+ mph) failed, but at least I know the windshield can take a direct hit.
Also, Alpinestar's padded MC gloves work quite well. My right hand only got bruised...glad to state that there's no broken bones.

And that concludes this rider's "Silver Lining Report". Remember: Ride safe.
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

Holy Cats!! Did you get the license plate #? You did file a report, right!!??
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Didn't get the plate number, but not for lack of trying. Called it in and they were spotted by an off-duty officer, but he lost them. Yup, I did file a report.
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

Who caries concrete with them for throwing at people????

a-holes

i was attacked by golf balls while fishing tonight

what the hell is wrong with people
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Finally calmed down. Went outside to give a good look-over on Puca.
-Headlight ring-thingit broken and further scraped up.
-Plastic above headlight (top piece) scraped up.
-Front brake lever scraped.
-Windshield has light scraping, thankfully not too noticeable.

So...it was definately a chunk of concrete. The windshield may not have taken the brunt of the force after all...looks like the front of the scooter, right of center did, part of which was the windshield and my hand. The chunk they lobbed at me was about the size of half a cinderblock.

...*sigh* Guess I'll be ordering some new plastic tomorrow, and studying maps for some alternate routes. This anti-scooter road rage is getting old, fast. :(
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

WTF!!!! Glad you are around to post. I don't know if I would react quickly enough in such bizarre circumstances.
jetboy

Post by jetboy »

Thanks for being the guinea pig on that issue - sheesh. Glad you're ok. I hope they get theirs.

- jetboy
"All these things - like telly witch-doctors, and advertising pimps, and show business pop song pirates - they despise us - dig? - they sell us cut-price sequins when we think we're getting diamonds."
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

:shock: Yeah, what everybody else said.

Glad you're not hurt too bad, imagine if you were windshield-less!!!
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

KRUSTYburger wrote::shock: Yeah, what everybody else said.

Glad you're not hurt too bad, imagine if you were windshield-less!!!
:shock: Ouch. Though...ya know...then it would've landed in my lap and I could've "given" it back! :lol: Hey, it's the thought that counts, right? 8)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

That's freaking insane. So glad you're okay!

Is this really road rage or a random act of violence? Did anything precede this?

I encounter a lot of bad, negligent and distracted drivers but never anything as bad as what some people get in what I guess are less scooter-friendly areas.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

They had followed me through a couple lights and turns, but it was a major road so I didn't think anything of it. Well, up until they started revving their engine at me. They were laughing and pointing at me (kept an eye on them in the mirror when they started gunning the engine)...

...Ya know, random act of violence is probably a much better descriptor. I'm not used to thinking like that, as this is the largest town I've ever lived in and I grew up in small towns of less than 18,000 people. Wow...looking at some population stats just now was a real eye-opener. Creepy, and at the same time puts things a little in perspective. "Country mouse" just realized how far from home he is. That's gonna take some time to sink in. Not sure how that makes me feel....
ageekgirl

Post by ageekgirl »

O dear god! I'm really glad you're ok! I'm way behind on reading the forum, but when Eric posted about this on Twitter, I had to make sure you were ok. WTF? That's attempted murder! What's wrong with those people? They've got to be the same sort of folks who go to the interstate overpasses and drop rocks on passing cars, too. Good luck with alternate routes.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Wow. This is unfrick'n believable. I'm glad you're okay and the damage was minimal. Hopefully the off duty cop was able to get a plate number. These people are dangerous.
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

Wow Chesire, that is very scary. I can't relate at all to senseless violence like this. I am glad you are ok.
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: can I just say Holy WOW! man, that's intense. i don't know ya personally Cheshire but ya seem like a calm type fellow here on the forum. It just goes to show ya, even if your totally prepared, your never really totally prepared. glad to hear your OK, and I hope the dooshes get whats comin to em, if not now later in life.
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Man, that's AWFUL. Ugh, stupid puny humans! :x I'm so glad you're okeh. (PS: YAY WINDSHIELDS!)
ModBud #442
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

It's a shame scooters don't cost more to repair, or your insurance company might find it worthwhile to hire a PI and track the muthas down.

Sorry to hear about it. Proud of you for (apparently) taking it so well. Reward yourself with a nice bottle of bourbon or bar of chocolate or both. We're all wishing you continued idiot resistance.
Vic

Post by Vic »

I grew up in a small town north of Columbus Ohio which has now basically become a suburb of Columbus and I regularly ride all over. It is not the size of the community, I really don't believe that, it is people being @#$%*!@+ and thinking that it is funny to do really stupid things. I sincerely hope that the police will investigate this and find these attempted murderers!

I mentioned this to my co-workers and my supervisor was here and said that this is the reason she would never ride a scooter-I told her that people do the same thing to folks in cars (dropping concrete blocks off of overpasses and the like) it is all just people being really dumb and thinking that they have the right to do whatever they want for whatever reason makes sense to them at the time.

Sadly, this is the culture we live in and see every single day. I am sure everyone here can think of several examples of famous people that have done really dumb things just because they wanted to for whatever assinine selfish reasons they had at the time.

I am glad that you are physically okay, keep pressure on the cops to investigate this-this kind of thing ought to be on the news and everything-it is attempted murder, plain and simple.

-v
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Just glad you're ok and in one piece Cheshire. Keep an eye out for that car. Chances are they live local... not a comforting thought. I trust the police have their plate number since they spotted them? Could the cops not go to the owners home and if nothing else scare the hell out of them?

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
beeporama

Post by beeporama »

Have you considered telling the local news? At least there might be some shame involved.

If someone is tailing me, and especially if they are revving their engine or something aggressive, I just pull over and let them pass. That goes for driving cars as well as scooters. One absolutely should not HAVE to do that, it's infuriating to let assholes get their way, but I'm often more concerned about my safety than any moral points. (At least, I am since my accident...)
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

holy cats! that's insane!

If the ring around your headlight is busted, you'll have to replace the whole thing as it's a couple plastic tabs that hold that thing in the right place and chances are one is busted meaning the light is toast.

It makes me grateful that San Diego is, for the most part, scooter friendly.

Freaking concrete?! unbelievable.
thehypercube

Post by thehypercube »

Just want to +1 Vic here. I grew up in a town of ~25k and now live in San Francisco. While not the largest, certainly among the highest population densities in the country. I never rode in the town I grew up in, but I honestly think I'd be more at risk there than here. People (mostly) treat 2 wheelers so nicely here, I constantly get waved through stop signs by cagers when it's not my turn to go. An older woman almost ran me off the road last week by drifting in my lane. She rolled down her window to express apology at the next light. I don't know what to suggest in your case, but it's clear there is a different attitude towards scooters in the area where you are riding. Best of luck and be safe.
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

another reason to have a helmet cam mod done
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

ps, perhaps you should tell this story to Genuine/Prima and ask for some Scooter Warrior sponsorship $$
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

It's gotta be something in the water out in NC. I keep hearing crazy stories from that area! Glad you're ok, Chesire!
I encounter a lot of bad, negligent and distracted drivers but never anything as bad as what some people get in what I guess are less scooter-friendly areas.
I guess I've got it good. I have yet to have a major run-in with an idiot or even with just a distracted driver! But the stories coming out of the East Coast (and, sometimes, the NE in general) seem to feature an alarming number of crazy idiots! :shock:
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

So sorry to hear this happened to you. Glad you are okay, and kudos for keeping your wits.
Clearly.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. :)

The plastic ring broke cleanly; I don't think the tabs got snapped. It's still sitting just fine in place, but I'm worried about water leaking in and now it just looks bad. Insurance doesn't do anything. I don't have comprehensive. News won't touch this. Unfortunately, the police didn't get a plate number, and they're not pursuing. They said there's nothing to pursue. Definately a local...I'm keeping my eyes open since I have to go through that area by one road or another daily.

Hopefully the simple fact that a cop started after them about 10 minutes after they ditched me spooked them at least enough to not want to risk a 2nd bout.
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

Well, normally I don't believe in public execution. Killing people to teach people not to kill people makes no sense to me..? But I gotta say I'm not too sad that they're gonna pull the plug on that cretin who rode around with a kid who he had murdering people by shooting them from a hole in the trunk of their car! One less vicious cretin in the world, anyway! :evil:

Perhaps if the police took seriously what those simpering idiots did to you and tried really hard to catch them (which I doubt they'll do...), they might also save someone else's life in the future, as these low life morons will probably repeat their actions if they see they're getting away with this shit! :x

This callous and immature road violence specificially directed against motorbikes doesn't seem to happen very much here in NJ, the most densely populated State in the USA! Perhaps when people have to live in larger, more cosmopolitan areas, they become more sophisticated about cool things such as motorcycles and scooters?
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
TVB

Post by TVB »

Drumwoulf wrote:Perhaps if the police took seriously what those simpering idiots did to you and tried really hard to catch them (which I doubt they'll do...)
To be fair, the police officers I've known take this sort of thing seriously, but there's only so much they can do with limited staff and without concrete leads to follow up on.
Portland_Rider
Location: Free Territory of the Pacific Northwest (Kalifornia refugee)

Post by Portland_Rider »

Chesire,

My thoughts and support go out to you. I just read this post as my wifi was down since Saturday night.

Glad you're still with us my fellow rider.

PR
michelle_7728

Worse-case test of windshield successful

Post by michelle_7728 »

OMG! :shock: That is totally insane. :wha: You are so lucky to be reporting this to us--I am so glad you are okay!

The windshield is definitely not breakproof, I found that out a couple of weeks ago, (and still have the sore hand and ripped glove to prove it) but I am SOOOOO glad it did not break in your instance. I was only going around 30...I cannot even imagine the injuries you might have suffered at 50+. Thank God you are still with us!

I think Bonegirl has the right idea about carrying a camera with her around her neck all the time (whatever the reason). I'm thinking seriously about getting a light-weight camera and doing the same.
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
mojobuddy70cc
Banned

crazy,, but what if

Post by mojobuddy70cc »

,,you did`nt have the windshield?? lucky you, i thought about one as i ride in ralegih, not quite as crazy as Ashville,,it`s not the water there i think it`s the moonshine and god knows what else those rednecks consume there. sounds like elly-Mae to a shine to ya!! :lol: ,,they show their passions in stange ways there.
,,really soooo glad you are ok and MOST folks in NC are pretty nice, but there are evil people everywhere. given the hippie-dippy element in A-ville, though i can see the dislike locals have of scooters and anything not
larger than the cabin they live in on 4 wheels? ever think of moving to Raleigh, it`s nice there but now i`m a bit paranoid takin by buddy on vacation to the parkway area.
,, wish i had been riding wif and got a shot w/iphone camera.
easy

Post by easy »

didn't they shoot somebody on a scooter there last year. Kinda makes you want to mount a small camera somewhere
LuvMyScoot

Post by LuvMyScoot »

pugbuddy wrote:It's gotta be something in the water out in NC. I keep hearing crazy stories from that area! Glad you're ok, Chesire!
I guess I've got it good. I have yet to have a major run-in with an idiot or even with just a distracted driver! But the stories coming out of the East Coast (and, sometimes, the NE in general) seem to feature an alarming number of crazy idiots! :shock:
I don't think it's a regional thing as much as a city thing. I notice that most road rage postings seem to come from posters who live in or around larger cities. For myself, I live in a small town in NE CT and encounter a great deal of positive energy when it comes to my scoot. People here seem to love it!
LuvMyScoot

Post by LuvMyScoot »

Thank goodness you're ok! That woman is one of the reasons why I tend to like animals more than people (except people who ride on two wheels!)
Mr Miller

Post by Mr Miller »

So glad to hear you are alright I am sure the emotional side will be there for a time, I will have you in my prayers.
I had always thought that scooters would be very accepted in Ashville. I had done alot of research on the town 3 years ago and had seriously considered moving there, and I have still thought I would like to move there some day. But this puts a damper of my feelings about the town. Is this kind of thing ( maybe not to this degree) common there?
• 171.3cc NCY Big Bore kit
& bunch of other stuff...

http://www.facebook.com/inerseshen for graphic design, advertising, signs, decals...
mojobuddy70cc
Banned

about ashville nc

Post by mojobuddy70cc »

,,,imho is a very nice town and it has a great music scene and the downtown shops and restaurants are great, there is the Biltmore and things like the Grove park Inn that cannot help but polarise the locals and the "Florida " People. alot of influx of $$ has driven to hi-end homes and real estate re-vals that put alot of local home owners in a bitter stand there, i have a friend that sells crappy houses there for hi $$,,
so NC is also along way from CT in terms of attitudes towards liberal thinking.
When NC wanted to put a State Zoo ( which we have) in the center of the state so kids from all schools would have ez access to it the Senator Jesse Helms wrote, " if they want a Zoo, Put up a fence around Chapel Hill" the bastion of liberal mindness in NC, so now that is over, the western part of NC has along way to go in some areas. If only some people were as cool as the natural beauty of the state,,, what a wonderful world it would be,
imho
:lol:
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

To be fair, the police officers I've known take this sort of thing seriously, but there's only so much they can do with limited staff and without concrete leads to follow up on.
"Without concrete leads"--is that meant to be a pun? :roll: :lol:
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
fantumx420

Post by fantumx420 »

Cheshire wrote:This anti-scooter road rage is getting old, fast. :(
Yikes!
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Mr Miller wrote:So glad to hear you are alright I am sure the emotional side will be there for a time, I will have you in my prayers.
I had always thought that scooters would be very accepted in Ashville. I had done alot of research on the town 3 years ago and had seriously considered moving there, and I have still thought I would like to move there some day. But this puts a damper of my feelings about the town. Is this kind of thing ( maybe not to this degree) common there?
This degree of crap is the exception, but I do get people screwing with me to some degree in cars on a regular basis. IMHO, it's because a very large majority of the scooters here are 50cc scooters ridden by people who have indeed lost their license. I don't hold that against anyone, but it becomes a problem when responsible riders are in the minority.

I'm biased against this town for a number of reasons that have added up over the years, and I'll readily admit that a good number of them are culture-oriented, so that's your grain of salt to take with my opinion. ;) While I'm environmentally-minded, I am NOT a hippy, nor am I a "good ol' boy". If you've ever seen the movie "PCU", you'll have a good understanding of what to expect from Asheville. :lol: :roll:

Normal, everyday riding isn't that bad, once I'm up over 30 mph. I have much more blissful riding days than the occasional :wtf: day. I should probably resurrect the "non-event day" thread.

If you're considering moving to Asheville, you should know about the Mountain Xpress. http://www.mountainx.com It's the local alt newspaper.