Need advice on ordering a top-case/trunk for my Buddy.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Portland_Rider
Location: Free Territory of the Pacific Northwest (Kalifornia refugee)

Need advice on ordering a top-case/trunk for my Buddy.

Post by Portland_Rider »

I have a Buddy 150 and a rear rack. I'm probably going to order a black case. I have been using the Prima Milk Crate basket (13x13x9 3/4) for storage and shopping. I don't want to go less in storage space.

I noticed that on ScooterWorks, the top-cases ranged from about $85 up to $200 depending upon size and materials (plastic, metal). Scooterworks carries the Shad brand. Anyone know about thier quality level?

Can I get some advice regarding what sizes are really too small to be useful and which too big maybe for the Buddy? I have seen some huge cases on the road which just wouldn't be right on a Buddy.

What about plastic vs. metal? Pros/cons?

Are the red materials in the back of the case lights that can be wired up or are they reflectors?

Are there better places to order these than ScooterWorks?

for reference, here is a link to the top cases:
http://www.scooterworks.com/Top_Cases_Trunks_C538.cfm

Thanks!
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

I swear by my Givi top case. It's 45 liters and big enough to fit an xxl ff helmet. I have a Blur, but it should look even better on a Buddy. They are north of $100, but you get a quality case and a quick release mount that makes it easy to take on or off the bike. These things are durable. I didn't get mine locked down tight and it fell off the bike when I hit the end of my driveway. Hardly a scratch.

I don't know about metal, but the hard plastic in the Givi is probably better. Again, I hardly got a scratch when my fell off the bike (not Givi's fault, I forgot to lock it down to the mount. I think it would provide a better performance to weight ratio.

Easy to mount, too. You can buy a light kit for them.

I think you can order directly from Givi USA. Google that and you wil get their Web site. A lot of scooter and motorcycle shops carry them as well.

Do you have a Cycle Gear store in your area. Their Cargo brand of soft luggage from Frank Thomas group works really well. I have a soft topcase from them I use on my motorcycle. Doesn't fit as much stuff as the Givi. I love their saddle bags.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I know I am in the minority here but I have a Genuine Top case and have been very happy with it. Yes there are certainly bigger and sturdier top cases out there, but for my needs my Genuine has been fine. I have had no problems with sturdiness, in fact mine survived my scooter being knocked over just fine, remaining locked and closed and with only a paint scuff to show for it.

Cosmetically, I love that the case matches my scooters paint color, and I really like that I could get a leather backrest that matches my seat. (What can I say, I like all that matchy, matchy stuff :) )

Just figured I'd be the voice of the minority and say something nice about the Genuine top case...

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

I have a Genuine matching top case. Serves its purpose. It is not waterproof. It is not water resistant. I carry very large ziplocs for that reason.

If you want a Givi you should look around for different dealers online and off. Ordering from Givi will cost you MSRP. Many dealers discount from MSRP.
Skootz Kabootz wrote:Cosmetically, I love that the case matches my scooters paint color, and I really like that I could get a leather backrest that matches my seat. What can I say, I like all that matchy, matchy stuff. :)

Leather? Is that the color matched Genuine topcase?
thecarver61

Post by thecarver61 »

Go with the Givi. You will love it. I've had both Genuine and Givi. The Givi E30 fits my ff, doesn't rattle, is waterproof and is simple to attach and remove.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

DennisD wrote:...Leather? Is that the color matched Genuine topcase?
Ya. I think the backrest is made of leather, but whatever it is, it's the same as what the seat is made of and the same color. Beats the hell out of the hard rubber backrest that comes with the top case. I have the blue padded backrest on my blue topcase on my blue St. Tropez. Sweet :)

DennisD

Post by DennisD »

OK, now I understand. That's the upgrade. Mine came with the top box.
Its the standard backrest. I don't think it's even pleather! Hey, this presents a buying opportunity! :D

Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

[quote="DennisD"]... Hey, this presents a buying opportunity! :D/quote]

Isn't it great? Just when you think you've run out of things to buy, a new day dawns! :lol:

mojobuddy70cc
Banned

my topcase

Post by mojobuddy70cc »

, was an add-on , about 150$ w/ the bbq rack to mount it on. the red reflectors have faded on one side and a couple weeks ago the left side ( facing the rear) hinge broke, seems like it can be fixed w/ a pin of some sort.
the lock /latch has now come apart for the 2nd time.,hmm lets` see the bottom mounting bracket where the case connects to the bbq rack has to
be tightened up often.,, so i`m not too impressed w/ the genuine topcase., the space if good for what i need but it seems to have hardware issues. this is after about 4500mi.
,,so i asked about the warranty being it was installed when i bought the scooter from the dealer. he said he would talk to Genuine and they hav`nt called him back but he would "make it right", i`m sure he will, has backed-up
what he sells on scooter. good guy.
i like the fact that it matches my black scooter theme and OEM look.
if it cost me any $ this time, i will order it myslef and install it.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
DennisD wrote:...Leather? Is that the color matched Genuine topcase?
Ya. I think the backrest is made of leather, but whatever it is, it's the same as what the seat is made of and the same color. Beats the hell out of the hard rubber backrest that comes with the top case. I have the blue padded backrest on my blue topcase on my blue St. Tropez. Sweet :)
I'm pretty sure those are vinyl. It's not the same material as the seat? Vinyl's probably better for something like this. Leather's a PITA.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

ericalm wrote:...I'm pretty sure those are vinyl. It's not the same material as the seat? Vinyl's probably better for something like this. Leather's a PITA.
Yes it is the same as the seat, so if the seat is vinyl, so's the backrest. It's nice and durable and easy to clean, whatever it is.

DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
ericalm wrote:...I'm pretty sure those are vinyl. It's not the same material as the seat? Vinyl's probably better for something like this. Leather's a PITA.
Yes it is the same as the seat, so if the seat is vinyl, so's the backrest. It's nice and durable and easy to clean, whatever it is.
Mine is like an old slick tire that has been in the sun for too many years. Like I said, it's not even pleather. Ugly thing. I looked at Scooterworks site after your post and haven't found one in light brown to match the seat. There is one, but it looks awfully light in the picture. I'll give them a call for more info.
paige

Post by paige »

I have the GIVI E30. Love it. Big enough for a FF helmet, waterproof, positive locking mechanism. I have it wired for the topcase tail light, so cars can see me.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

paige wrote:I have the GIVI E30. Love it. Big enough for a FF helmet, waterproof, positive locking mechanism. I have it wired for the topcase tail light, so cars can see me.
I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about a Givi top case. Well, maybe the price, but that complaint goes away after people have had them for awhile.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

I was pretty excited when Scooterworks picked up SHAD cases. I'm a coin toss between SHAD and GIVI cases at the moment. Still weighing the two against each other before I take the leap.
Portland_Rider

Post by Portland_Rider »

Thanks for all the great feedback!

What is the top end in terms of too large dimensions for a case to place on the Buddy 150?

1) Any good businesses to order Givi cases online?

2) Does anyone have experience owning a Shad case or knowing their reputation?
schroeder

Post by schroeder »

My wife and I both have the matte black top case from jcwhitney.com. Check under luggage in the motorcycle section.
It is a nice solid case that locks. Much sturdier than the Genuine top case and much cheaper that Givi. If you have the money, go with the Givi. If money is an issue, this is a nice case. Comes in two sizes. The medium is $65 and the large is 85. We are happy with ours.
Me? I ride for the bugs!
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Do a search here for SHAD. Quite a few people have recommended them to me before (Lostmycage, Alix B, etc). That's one of the big reasons I was so happy to learn that Scooterworks picked them up: I don't have to go outside my dealer to get the one I'm after.

I'm currently in the that dilemma over saddlebags. They're a smaller shop, so the selection is pretty limited if I'm to get a set through them. Still researching that angle to see if I can find a set they can get that can withstand being owned by me. :twisted:
Leif

Post by Leif »

So now I am looking at cases... great :roll: Friday it was scooter skirts and now it is a rear case tomorrow it will be heated grips. My wife is going to kill me.

Question on the Shad cases can you put a rear light in it? On the Givi cases do yo have to buy the Givi light kit?
Portland_Rider

Post by Portland_Rider »

Does anyone forsee that these dimensions 16.5"L x 16.9"W x 12.2" would be either really weird looking on the Buddy or simply create any unbalance on the rear rack?

Cheshire wrote:I was pretty excited when Scooterworks picked up SHAD cases. I'm a coin toss between SHAD and GIVI cases at the moment. Still weighing the two against each other before I take the leap.

I'm also still trying to decide between SHAD and GIVI.

Here is a link to a review on SHAD by webbikeworld:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle- ... d-luggage/

Here is a link to the SHAD website:
http://www.binetto.com/SHAD-Motorcases/default.aspx

FYI, the customer service rep at Binetto was difficult to communicate with.
nateandcourt

Post by nateandcourt »

So is the top case the only backrest that is available for the buddy?
sherides

Post by sherides »

I have the SHAD 33 on my 125, and I'm very happy with it. Personally, I wouldn't go any bigger than that for the aesthetics. It fits my fullface helmet, gloves, vest plus miscellaneous items. The "reflectors" really aren't, so I put reflective material underneath to boost the visibility at night. I also "fusioned" the top part of the case to give it a more coordinated look.
Portland_Rider

Post by Portland_Rider »

sherides wrote:I have the SHAD 33 on my 125, and I'm very happy with it. Personally, I wouldn't go any bigger than that for the aesthetics. It fits my fullface helmet, gloves, vest plus miscellaneous items. The "reflectors" really aren't, so I put reflective material underneath to boost the visibility at night. I also "fusioned" the top part of the case to give it a more coordinated look.

Sherides,

Thank you. I was wondering about what was in the back: 'reflectors or rear-lights'. The manufacturers home page does not address the issue or even communicate well what all the different accessoris are by their unclear names. When I called their corporate customer service department, the person answering the phone was ignorant and could barely speak english.

Currently, the people at Scooterworks are not much different in knowing much about the Shad line. Duh.

I'm leaning in getting the size top-case you have.

BTW: love the color of your scoot.
sherides

Post by sherides »

Here's a photo of it with my helmet, etc.

And Holly appreciates the compliment on her color. We went through 3 cans of Krylon Fusion to find a close match.
Portland_Rider

Post by Portland_Rider »

Sherides,

Thanks for your posts. Is that the Scorpion Exo 400 FF helmet in your case? The 440 is the model that I have.

BTW, I'm not sure what is up with this site today as I have twice posted replies to you earlier in the same section on cases and they are nowhere to be seen.

I'm actually looking to paint my scoot as I've never really been into the green. The color that you have; is it Burnt Orange or Burnt Sunset?
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Sherides,
Thanks for the great pictures! I'm waffling between a Shad 33 and 37. In the open picture, is there any room behind your helmet, or is that pretty much filling up the whole space? I'm trying to gauge if that will be big enough to accommodate my work bag, which contains lunch, two drink containers and my tennis shoes, and maybe another jacket for when the weather gets colder. I can just barely cram my work bag into my pet carrier, to give an idea of size.
sherides

Post by sherides »

The helmet doesn't fill the space, but I'm pretty sure your helmet AND work bag wouldn't fit in the 33. I can tuck a sweatshirt in around the helmet, but I can't put an extra pair of shoes in there. (And I have tiny feet...)
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Thanks! I'm thinking that my helmet would be on my head at any time that the work bag is in there :) . Right now, I have a milk crate on the back of scoot - an actual milk crate, not a Prima milk crate. I just drop my bag in there and I'm off. It looks like this would hold at least as much as my milk crate with the limitation that it is an enclosed space.
sherides

Post by sherides »

Without the helmet, I can get a LOT of stuff in there. I've even packed a small ice chest. I had a real milk crate before I got this and had concerns about the enclosed space as well. For the most part, it's been a non-issue. Every once in a while I have to bungee something to the seat behind me, (like a baguette) but more often then not, creative packing does the trick.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Sherides,
Thanks so much for your excellent feedback. Knowing that you went from a milkcrate to the SH33 comfortably seals the deal for me. I've got one on the way and am looking forward to making the upgrade!

Thanks again!
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

I noticed while wandering on the net that the Kymco USA site specs Shad top cases for all of their scooters.
Last edited by DennisD on Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
broke

Post by broke »

I bought the biggest case I could find that was still waterproof and reliable. A Givi 45 liter. I'm still worried about the rear-rack giving way as so many have in the past, but so far so good....

LOTS OF BOARDGAMES FIT IN THERE!
Want and need divide me. Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!
Portland_Rider

Post by Portland_Rider »

broke

That case looks huge! Can you park your Buddy in there?
echochamber

Post by echochamber »

I have that Givi E450 on my Vespa GTS and Honda CB750.

Seems OK on the GTS w/ robust rear rack. But it broke the CB750 rack @ the stress points on both sides.

You should be OK, but be careful about overloading the topcase. Easy to do with one that large.

Yeah, I admit, was transporting 7 bottles of wine on the CB when it broke. I am bad. YMMV.

HTHs,

\\e
takora

Post by takora »

I just ordered a Shad case, will post a review once it arrives...

I've never liked the look of top cases so when I got my scooter I got a large rear roll bag (S/X Appeal) and have really been disappointed with it. It cannot support it's own weight and sort of flops around, and the strap latches broke after only about three months of pretty light use. Hopefully I'll have better luck with the Shad case!
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

takora wrote:I've never liked the look of top cases so when I got my scooter I got a large rear roll bag (S/X Appeal) and have really been disappointed with it. It cannot support it's own weight and sort of flops around, and the strap latches broke after only about three months of pretty light use. Hopefully I'll have better luck with the Shad case!
Check around and you can find nice tail bags and roll bags that are easy on/off and have self contained strong bungee attachments. I bought a Nelson Rigg tail bag on clearance and it has served me well on my motorcycle. I think I'm going to start using it on my scooters that don't have top cases.
There are lots of options out there. I found that the Nelson Rigg bags held their shape well. I also have a Harley Davidson barrel bag (very used) that was given to me. Its a bit large to use on a scooter but it also holds its shape even though it is very old and well used.

Here's one example but they sometimes are as cheap as $40 on clearance and are available in many different sizes and shapes.
http://www.newenoughhp.com/luggage/tail ... _pack.html