putting the scoot away for the winter questions

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Briggsy

putting the scoot away for the winter questions

Post by Briggsy »

I was reading the topic on winterizing the scooter for the season and i have a question about step number 4. Step #4 states:
"With the engine off, drain the float bowl on the carb. Be sure to re-tighten the drain screw"
Where do i find the float bowl on the carb and what is the purpose of draining it?
Thanks
Drumwoulf

Re: putting the scoot away for the winter questions

Post by Drumwoulf »

Briggsy wrote:I was reading the topic on winterizing the scooter for the season and i have a question about step number 4. Step #4 states:
"With the engine off, drain the float bowl on the carb. Be sure to re-tighten the drain screw"
Where do i find the float bowl on the carb and what is the purpose of draining it?
Thanks
Don't gotta do that if you get some Stabil fuel stabilizer. Add the proper amount to the (full) tank, run the engine a bit to get it all thru the fuel lines and into the carb, put the scoot's battery onto a battery tender, and you're good to go for the winter!

Untreated gasoline can get sticky and gum up the carb if left to sit for a few months, that's why they suggest draining the bowl. But if you add the stabilizer to the fuel that works every bit as good too.
Been doing just that with my MCs, and now with my Vespa GT200 and Buddy 125 for years, with nary a problem... The sScoots start right up again after the winter! 8)
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
hardd1
Dealer

Post by hardd1 »

my winterizing: wear a sweatshirt or sometimes even a jacket for winter-riding down here in fla.. :) :)
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

thanks Drum woulf! very help for a scooterist that isn't very mechanical :wink:
walky08

Stabil question

Post by walky08 »

Is the stabilizer easily found in stores??? :cry:
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Everyone who needs to winterize...please read through POC's winterizing instructions. They are thorough. Also the Seafoam is better than Stabil if you might be riding the bike occasionally.

http://www.clevelandscooters.com/service.html
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

hardd1 wrote:my winterizing: wear a sweatshirt or sometimes even a jacket for winter-riding down here in fla.. :) :)
Yep, I winterize me, not the Scoot!
Fleece and Flannel lined jeans, silk long underwear, wool everywhere else.
Drumwoulf

Re: Stabil question

Post by Drumwoulf »

walky08 wrote:Is the stabilizer easily found in stores??? :cry:
Everywhere! Wall Mart, K-Mart, Strauss, Pep Boys; anywhere auto/bike supplies are sold.
And you can also ride the scoot occasionally too if you use Stabil instead of Sea Foam, so I suspect they're both the same thing! :roll:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
walky08

Post by walky08 »

Drumwoulf wrote:
Everywhere! Wall Mart, K-Mart, Strauss, Pep Boys; anywhere auto/bike supplies are sold.
And you can also ride the scoot occasionally too if you use Stabil instead of Sea Foam, so I suspect they're both the same thing! :roll:
This is contrary to what BlueBuddyGirl up there said. Now, which to use for occasional riding?
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

walky08 wrote:
Drumwoulf wrote:
This is contrary to what BlueBuddyGirl up there said. Now, which to use for occasional riding?
I doan care what anybody SAYS, as I don't know their source or reasoning... All I can tell you is what I've done with my scoots and MCs for over 27 years now; I use Stabil to winterize, and when I occasionally ride the bike during milder winter weather there's never been ANY kind of problem. Nor is there any problem when I start up my rides later in the Spring, after leaving off them for several Winter months!
And if SeaFoam works the same way, then use it. What's the difference anyway? You want some kind of ironclad guarentee here on which is better?

Sheeesh, don't be so anal! What people tell you from experience works for them, will usually work for you too! :roll:

(But then again, maybe not?? :twisted: :lol: )
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

I agree with Drum

I fill the tank, add stabil and run it get the carb full of fuel + stabil. If I ride it after that it's never a problem.

On my sled i fill the tank in the spring and add stabil. I start and run it once a month during the summer to keep the fluids moving. never had a problem.
walky08

Whoa! Hold your horses

Post by walky08 »

Drumwoulf
As always, I have high expectations of the discussions and someone always fails to live to that expectation. There is no reason to become ”anal“ , angry or reactive about a clarification request.

It means you cannot handle either pressure or someone thinking the opposite way. I sincerely thought someone had made a mistake; My MISTAKE to think everyone is civil and proper. I guess that makes the point about what people think about bikers and it does not help anyone. I will take both opinions at face value.

I come here to find and share information and if there is some conflicting info, I think I have the right to ask, as everyone else, who is right. There is nothing beyond that. And to tell you the truth, I have seen pretty stupid questions here go by without harassment.

to Ray:
Thanks for a concise answer.
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

plus one on the stable sea foam works awesome too, best way to winterize , ride it once a week if weather permits, even if it sucks ride its still gonna suck in your car so scoot wtf
Drumwoulf

Re: Whoa! Hold your horses

Post by Drumwoulf »

walky08 wrote:Drumwoulf
As always, I have high expectations of the discussions and someone always fails to live to that expectation. There is no reason to become ”anal“ , angry or reactive about a clarification request.

It means you cannot handle either pressure or someone thinking the opposite way. I sincerely thought someone had made a mistake; My MISTAKE to think everyone is civil and proper. I guess that makes the point about what people think about bikers and it does not help anyone. I will take both opinions at face value.

I come here to find and share information and if there is some conflicting info, I think I have the right to ask, as everyone else, who is right. There is nothing beyond that. And to tell you the truth, I have seen pretty stupid questions here go by without harassment.

to Ray:
Was simply pointing out that many people "say" things about stuff that they actually have no real knowledge of, or any experience of, at all!
Generally these spreaders of unsubstantiated opinons are just pains-inna-butt.
But if you wanna take them seriously, be my guest, okay? :lol:

In the meantime, lighten up...
I suspect there are many of us on this list who will not live up to your noble concepts regarding bikers and scooterists... :twisted:

But we can still be of help to you... 8)
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
Ray Knobs

Re: Whoa! Hold your horses

Post by Ray Knobs »

walky08 wrote: to Ray:
It was only concise because Drum called you anal before i got a chance to.

:)
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

walky08 wrote:
Drumwoulf wrote:
Probably the best answer is whichever one you choose to use. Some folks in these parts put that seafoam stuff in their tanks as a mechanic in a can preventive maintenance measure and swear by the stuff. It doesn't even get cold here. At least according to some. :lol:
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Wow, who knew that suggesting Seafoam would generate such livid responses. Stabil has a good record, and it is what my honey suggested I use, but after much research online, in many different user groups, and product testing sites, the Seafoam to me seemed a better choice as it can be used to winterize but IS also a fuel additive for simple and complex de-gunking, and it received rave reviews from not some, but seemingly all who have used it.

Phil posted a while back about the differences. viewtopic.php?t=1298&highlight=seafoam

Use whatever you think is best, or whatever has worked for you, but if you are letting your bike sit for a significant period of time, use something.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

bluebuddygirl wrote:Wow, who knew that suggesting Seafoam would generate such livid responses. Stabil has a good record, and it is what my honey suggested I use, but after much research online, in many different user groups, and product testing sites, the Seafoam to me seemed a better choice as it can be used to winterize but IS also a fuel additive for simple and complex de-gunking, and it received rave reviews from not some, but seemingly all who have used it.

Phil posted a while back about the differences. viewtopic.php?t=1298&highlight=seafoam

Use whatever you think is best, or whatever has worked for you, but if you are letting your bike sit for a significant period of time, use something.
Imagine what it will be like when winter really sets in. There will be some really testy folks around February. That would be a good time to ask about what kind of oil to use. :mrgreen:
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

DennisD wrote:Imagine what it will be like when winter really sets in. There will be some really testy folks around February. That would be a good time to ask about what kind of oil to use. :mrgreen:
LOL! :lol:
What's the best oil? -Jeez, that question would surely get all of us warmed up enough to get us thru winter in the frigid north and midwest..! :twisted:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200