Mirror question for people with windshields

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Cheshire

Mirror question for people with windshields

Post by Cheshire »

Do your mirrors vibrate enough you can't see much of anything at speed?
Mine do...everything's a wild, dancing blur when I'm going down the road.

I didn't think it was too bad until I didn't notice I had a state trooper trying to pull me over for almost a mile or more. :oops: The vibration made his lights look like the sun reflecting off the SUV. He was very nice and just gave me a tongue-lashing for speeding (10 over the limit on the straight, flat stretch, 15 over coming down the hill with 2 exit ramps feeding into it to get to the straight...I didn't want to get merged-into). Never again in that town! I saw the light! (Blurry, and hard to recognize.)

I'm wondering if some rubber washer-type thingits might dampen the vibration down to a workable amount. I'm not after crystal-clear images in my mirrors, but I want to be able to pick out make and model of a car instead of just "yup, there's something behind me."

Thoughts?
broke

Post by broke »

I wish they were bigger, but mine only vibrate really badly (to the point I wouldn't recognize flashing red and blues behind me) when I am at a stop and hold onto the rear brake hard.
Want and need divide me. Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

broke wrote:I wish they were bigger, but mine only vibrate really badly (to the point I wouldn't recognize flashing red and blues behind me) when I am at a stop and hold onto the rear brake hard.
:+!:
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

broke wrote:I wish they were bigger, but mine only vibrate really badly (to the point I wouldn't recognize flashing red and blues behind me) when I am at a stop and hold onto the rear brake hard.
In my defense, he didn't have lights on top of the SUV. They were the smaller ones behind the grill and windshield, and only a few were red and blue. The rest were white.

Still...sounds like it's more an isolated thing so far. :?
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Not sure why yours would vibrate so badly. Mine are very usable at idling speed all the way through full throttle. I've never had any vibration problem with them and the installation was by the instructions (such as they were!) with no mods.

Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

Mine also would only rattle while stopped, at idle.
broke

Post by broke »

oops. I missed the point in your subject that you have a windshield. :oops: I do NOT have a windshield, so my experience is not what you are looking for. sorry.
Want and need divide me. Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!
ageekgirl

Post by ageekgirl »

ScootStevie wrote:
:+!:
+1 here too. And its the right hand one more than the left hand one. If you try the rubber washer/gasket trick, let us know how it works, please!
rondothemidget

Post by rondothemidget »

+1 here too. And its the right hand one more than the left hand one. If you try the rubber washer/gasket trick, let us know how it works, please!
This fall, I started using washers that are metal on top, rubber on bottom and the mirror/vibration issue isn't as bad. The mirrors slightly vibrate at speeds near 70bmph but it's not near as bad as it used to be.
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

DennisD wrote:Not sure why yours would vibrate so badly. Mine are very usable at idling speed all the way through full throttle. I've never had any vibration problem with them and the installation was by the instructions (such as they were!) with no mods.
+1
What brand of WS are you using? I had the Genuine one and never had a bit of vibration..!
I'm currently going to install the Windstreamer 66 shield; I hope that's not the one that's giving you such vibration?? :wink:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Drumwoulf wrote:
DennisD wrote:Not sure why yours would vibrate so badly. Mine are very usable at idling speed all the way through full throttle. I've never had any vibration problem with them and the installation was by the instructions (such as they were!) with no mods.
+1
What brand of WS are you using? I had the Genuine one and never had a bit of vibration..!
I'm currently going to install the Windstreamer 66 shield; I hope that's not the one that's giving you such vibration?? :wink:
Its the WSBUD3. Marked down right now at Scooter Works. I like mine a lot. Here's the link if you wanna look. http://www.scooterworks.com/Windscreen_ ... 37C590.cfm
Vic

Post by Vic »

I am also in the "doesn't vibrate too badly unless I am at a stop and on the brakes hard" camp.

when I am at a stop and the mirror is vibrating I give it a teensy little bit of gas when I need to get a peek at what is going on behind me.

Do let us know about if you try to rubber washer and if it helps.

-v
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I have the mounts for a windshield installed, but not the windshield itself. (I bought a windshield but didn't like it. I liked how the mounts raised my mirrors an inch though, so I kept them installed).

Anyways, I have what appears to be the standard amount of vibration going on. That is, a little extra vibration when stopped with brakes applied. The vibrations never get so bad that I cant see though. So judging by this, the windshield mounts don't appear to be a contributing factor in any increased mirror vibration. Must be caused by the windshield itself...

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Ditto. I've never had this problem! Sorry to hear of it....
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

UPDATE: The body panels I ordered to take care of some of the scratches my poor Puca got from idiots came in, one of them being a new headset. I had to take the windshield off and loosen the mounting bolts so I could swivel the mirrors and mounting bars out of the way.

Today was my first decent full-range speed test. Somehow, the act of disassembly/reassembly fixed the mirror problem. Unfortunately, I lost my perfect wall-of-wind faceshield wiper in the process.

I take that to mean I had my windshield at just the wrong angle to make the wind deflection shake my mirrors like mad. I might try rubber washers between the mounting brackets for the windshield and mirror extenders at a later date, though. I really liked having that wall of wind to push the water off my helmet. :| Win some, lose some.

EDIT: it's this one: http://www.scooterworks.com/Windscreen_ ... _P5137.cfm
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Same windshield I have with no problem. Mine is set to not touch the headset as shown in your link. Its angled back some, but if I want to blast the water off my helmet I just turn my head to the side and that does it.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Mine never did touch the headset, but apparently it's position or angle...something created a lot of vibration. All I did was loosen the bolts and take the windshield off the posts, put the windshield back on and retighten everything. I don't know exactly what changed, but I'm not kicking a gift horse in the mouth!
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Maybe a bolt just loose enough to cause vibration. You're kind of limited on angle because its so close. I whacked myself in the face on the windshield when I first installed it. I was looking sideways and leaned forward a bit too much. It wasn't running and was in the garage. Immediately adjusted the angle. :mrgreen:
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

DennisD wrote:Maybe a bolt just loose enough to cause vibration. You're kind of limited on angle because its so close. I whacked myself in the face on the windshield when I first installed it. I was looking sideways and leaned forward a bit too much. It wasn't running and was in the garage. Immediately adjusted the angle. :mrgreen:
Ya know, that might be it. I was using a wrench when I first installed the windshield, but I had a socket set when I replaced the panels. I think I ended up with it tighter with the socket wrench.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Glad its fixed. Now you gotta figure out the shield wipin thing. :lol:
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

*sigh* I'm gonna miss that. :( It's frustrating...the new wall-of-wind keeps me from cracking my visor to prevent fogging up if I'm going over 45 mph. Just pushes it back shut. :x On top of that, I actually have to turn my head to get rid of water. The travesty! Shame! Horror! :lol:

Looks like I'll be getting some of those nifty thumb-squeegee thingits.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Celebrate! It's another buying opportunity! :clap:
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

Cute pink hairbrush in your dashboard tray Dennis!!!! I'll be it keeps your lovely locks real perdy!!! :wink:
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

MrNatural wrote:

Cute pink hairbrush in your dashboard tray Dennis!!!! I'll be it keeps your lovely locks real perdy!!! :wink:
I wondered if anyone would see that. Yeah, I'm busted! :cry:

Actually, it belongs to my wife. See the glove over the grip? Hers also. I hate it when she does that.

Actually, we had it pretty good. She would drop the kids off at school and go to work and I would ride in earlier. We both work at the same place. When the kids were getting out of school, I would take the car and pick them up and wifey would ride the bike home. Great!

Now she won't ride so I ride to work and then ride home, get cage, drive to the bus stop and pick up kids. Twice the riding for me! Great! :D