Honda Ruckus with buddy 125 engine!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

AZruckuspride

Honda Ruckus with buddy 125 engine!

Post by AZruckuspride »

Hi i recently picked up a Buddy 125 that i'm going to put in my ruckus and was wondering if anyone has done it and has pictures of their buddy stripped of their plastics so I can see where some of the wires go on the harness. I have almost everything labeled except for some of the tail end connections and tow of three connections at the top. I would appreciate it and if you have any spare 125 parts let me know so i can figure out what else i need. Starter cable and starter flasher are a few of them.
Last edited by AZruckuspride on Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AZruckuspride

Post by AZruckuspride »

By the way I put a 110/80-10 Kenda K413 tire on the back and it makes the biggest difference in appearance and it's about a 1/2 inch wider than stock. it might be possible to put a 130/70-10 on the back as well. i'll post some pics.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

I don't have an answer for ya but just a "can't wait to hear how it turns out!"

I love the look of the Ruckus and having the Buddy's 125 power plant in there would be wicked! :twisted:
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
AZruckuspride

Post by AZruckuspride »

Thanks it will be fast and reliable. That's what i wanted none of the Chinese stuff that break down after 200 miles.
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

I though when you did a transplant into a rukus you had to use the transmission also. Is the buddies long enough? I think i remember there being typically two types of GY6's the short and long setups. the short ones being no good for rukus owners.
AZruckuspride

Post by AZruckuspride »

The short case will work, most people use a long case because they can use larger wheels and fatty tire. I'm going to use to original mounts off the Buddy and weld them to the ruckus rear fame. Mounting should not be an issue, i'm going to use the stock controls from the buddy so it's easier and i need to shorten the original engine hanger by 1 inch so 1/2" on each side.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Hey AZruckuspride, that'll be a good motor for a Ruck swap. And the advantange is that its basically a GY6, so ALL the tons of GY6 mount conversion kits, and wiring and whatnot will work for this motor. Most GY6 performance parts will work, as well as GY6 wiring harnesses, but beware with the Buddy 125's engine, the biggest difference between it and a more standard GY6 is that the wrist pin on the piston is 13mm vs the standard 15mm wrist pin.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I'm watching this one.

AZruckuspride, welcome to MB. Check out the MB Guide and FAQ section on the main page. There's service manuals which might have what you're looking for in the general maintenance section.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
9900rpm

Post by 9900rpm »

Buddy 125 motor in the Ruckus without a stretch will be fun, but dangerous. I have an '09 Ruckus with a GY6 in it. It is the long case GY6 (short case works, but swapping with the long case is much more common). I believe people run the stretched setup because if you keep the stock short wheelbase, the front end comes up. Ruckus doing wheelies isn't safe.

Doing the harness is a little bit of a pain in the ass. The Ruckus runs an ECU. I'm not familiar with the Buddy at all. I know the GY6 I swapped into mine did not have an ECU.

Good luck with the swap. I'll be following this thread as well.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

9900rpm wrote:Buddy 125 motor in the Ruckus without a stretch will be fun, but dangerous. I have an '09 Ruckus with a GY6 in it. It is the long case GY6 (short case works, but swapping with the long case is much more common). I believe people run the stretched setup because if you keep the stock short wheelbase, the front end comes up. Ruckus doing wheelies isn't safe.

Doing the harness is a little bit of a pain in the ass. The Ruckus runs an ECU. I'm not familiar with the Buddy at all. I know the GY6 I swapped into mine did not have an ECU.

Good luck with the swap. I'll be following this thread as well.
Depends on what you mean by ECU, but there's a CDI that controls spark timing on the Buddy.

Wheelies on the Buddy are scary(Mine'll do it) I can't imagine doing them on a Ruck!
AZruckuspride

Post by AZruckuspride »

Thanks Lostmycage, I have have looked their many times which has enabled me to figure out much of the wiring harness. As for 9900rpm i'm going to push it back as far I can without looking dumb. I'll be safe as well. Always keep that helmet on and gloves. :idea:
AZruckuspride

Post by AZruckuspride »

I will also switch everything from the buddy over except the headlights my stebel horn and rear tail lights so i will lose the whole ECU. The Honda Ruckus is ran completely on the ECU which makes it difficult to do a swap if you want to keep the original hand controls without buying a $350 wiring harness from ATR.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Aw man, I love me some ruckus. If I ever found one for cheapsies, I'd jump on it and swap that sucker out.
Don't really see the problem with wheelies, :twisted: but can't you just turn the throttle more slowly?
Or does that defeat the purpose?
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

LOL@ exercising control.

If I were to run across a Ruckus frame (properly titled) and a wrecked Buddy, that'd be the type of puzzle that'd have to be put back together again. There's something inherently fun about the low slung open frame Ruckus, but it isn't it's acceleration!.

AZ, have you found a way to transfer the forks/wheel/disk brake from the Buddy to the Swap frame? Or are you going the Disk kit that's out there (NCY I think makes one)? If you haven't considered the front brakes, take a second look at it. With that light of a frame, you'll appreciate the extra stopping power.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Lostmycage wrote:LOL@ exercising control.

If I were to run across a Ruckus frame (properly titled) and a wrecked Buddy, that'd be the type of puzzle that'd have to be put back together again. There's something inherently fun about the low slung open frame Ruckus, but it isn't it's acceleration!.

AZ, have you found a way to transfer the forks/wheel/disk brake from the Buddy to the Swap frame? Or are you going the Disk kit that's out there (NCY I think makes one)? If you haven't considered the front brakes, take a second look at it. With that light of a frame, you'll appreciate the extra stopping power.
There's actually several disc conversion kits. Thats one of the cool things about the Ruckus, there's a HUGE aftermarket.
Undeadendless

Post by Undeadendless »

Lostmycage wrote:LOL@ exercising control.

I second this notion...all that power with drum brakes is scary with a capital S!!!!
AZruckuspride

Post by AZruckuspride »

For right now I'm going to keep the stock drums until I have more money to get an aftermarket disk set. That way I can keep the wide rim and tire set.
AZruckuspride

Post by AZruckuspride »

Well I have started two Buddy swaps. A 150 and a 125. These are pics of the 150.

So far this is how it sits. The exhaust comes in on Saturday and the bars are being finished this week.

The lowered fender with Kenda tire.

Stimpy's oil cooler bracket and the stock Buddy's oil cooler.

The rear wheel after sandblasting and repainting.

The width of the new rear tire. 5" instead of stock 3.5" tire. This is a 130/70-10 Kenda K413

I hope to have this bike up and running in a couple weeks.
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

Nice!
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
AZruckuspride

Buddy number 2

Post by AZruckuspride »

This is the other buddy, They both should be done this weekend.

I will be posting more pictures of this bike as well as the gold bike this weekend. Stay tuned and post your thoughts of the bikes. Thanks.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Have you gotten a chance to take it for a spin yet? The Buddy 125's are pretty quick anyway, and I'd bet the motor would make for a fast Ruckus.
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

i gotta say, that is pretty awesome, keep us posted on how it rides, etc
AZruckuspride

Budukus

Post by AZruckuspride »

Kaos i haven't ridden it yet. The electrical part will be done this week and then I will be out and about. Probably have to rejet as well.

rOsa: Keep your eyes on this one. I will post up video as well of both rucks. Maybe even a race between the 125 vs 150 :twisted: I'm really excited.
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

I love seeing these type projects,I wish I was born with such abilities.Boy I bet a Tailgunner exhaust in black color would look so damn cool on the Ruckus.

PS-The little barrels on the end of the exhaust really do turn by giving throttle.Awesome!

http://tinyurl.com/yheccrz
Attachments
smallFIGHTER.jpg
smallFIGHTER.jpg (4.71 KiB) Viewed 2538 times
smallStealth_Fighter.jpg
smallStealth_Fighter.jpg (4.64 KiB) Viewed 2538 times
Aerosmith, None Other.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

BuddyLicious wrote:PS-The little barrels on the end of the exhaust really do turn by giving throttle.Awesome!
SAY WHAAAAAT?! I need.

On second look, it looks cheezy on the big bikes, but you're right it would be cool on a scooter.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

AZruckuspride, you should talk to the Battlescooter guys about making a kit for the Ruckus. Those guys make a big part of their living selling stuff for the Ruckus. Nice job with the buddy convert, BTW.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jrsjr wrote:AZruckuspride, you should talk to the Battlescooter guys about making a kit for the Ruckus. Those guys make a big part of their living selling stuff for the Ruckus. Nice job with the buddy convert, BTW.
And they're sponsoring Oz in the Cannonball, who's doing it on a modified Ruckus 50. I don't know how it's modified… 
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

ericalm wrote:
jrsjr wrote:AZruckuspride, you should talk to the Battlescooter guys about making a kit for the Ruckus. Those guys make a big part of their living selling stuff for the Ruckus. Nice job with the buddy convert, BTW.
And they're sponsoring Oz in the Cannonball, who's doing it on a modified Ruckus 50. I don't know how it's modified… 
Go Oz!!! I can't wait to see that Ruckus.
AZruckuspride

Buddy number 2

Post by AZruckuspride »

On the white one I ordered a GY6 mount from JDMPassword out of California and the engine bolted up after some modifications. Then I swapped all the buddy components like the hand controls, cables, etc. It was pretty easy. The wiring is what gives me the hardest problem but if someone kept the stock Ruckus controls you can buy a plug and play harness through standard functions. There are several mounts offered through totalruckus.com and everything could be done with in two or three days if you don't paint. A ruckus swap is so cool.
Kaos

Re: Buddy number 2

Post by Kaos »

AZruckuspride wrote:On the white one I ordered a GY6 mount from JDMPassword out of California and the engine bolted up after some modifications. Then I swapped all the buddy components like the hand controls, cables, etc. It was pretty easy. The wiring is what gives me the hardest problem but if someone kept the stock Ruckus controls you can buy a plug and play harness through standard functions. There are several mounts offered through totalruckus.com and everything could be done with in two or three days if you don't paint. A ruckus swap is so cool.
Yeah, I didn't figure it'd be too much different than the usual GY6 swap, as the Buddy motor is just a GY6. Sweet Rucks AZ!
crackerman

Post by crackerman »

So the Buddy 150 engine comes with a oil cooler? I got a 09' 125 engine and I know that didn't come with one?
AZruckuspride wrote:Well I have started two Buddy swaps. A 150 and a 125. These are pics of the 150.

So far this is how it sits. The exhaust comes in on Saturday and the bars are being finished this week.

The lowered fender with Kenda tire.

Stimpy's oil cooler bracket and the stock Buddy's oil cooler.

The rear wheel after sandblasting and repainting.

The width of the new rear tire. 5" instead of stock 3.5" tire. This is a 130/70-10 Kenda K413

I hope to have this bike up and running in a couple weeks.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

crackerman wrote:So the Buddy 150 engine comes with a oil cooler? I got a 09' 125 engine and I know that didn't come with one?
Yep, the 150's have an oil cooler, the 125's don't.
AZruckuspride

It ran!

Post by AZruckuspride »

The white one runs and I've ridden it around a little bit. (Lots of rain right now) I'm going to rejet again. Any suggestion on CVT mods? Weights? I'm a light weight and I want better acceleration.

The gold one had the black ground wire from the stator smoking so I shut it off immediately. Any one have this problem? Suggestions?
Kaos

Re: It ran!

Post by Kaos »

AZruckuspride wrote:The white one runs and I've ridden it around a little bit. (Lots of rain right now) I'm going to rejet again. Any suggestion on CVT mods? Weights? I'm a light weight and I want better acceleration.

The gold one had the black ground wire from the stator smoking so I shut it off immediately. Any one have this problem? Suggestions?
If you want a LOT better acceleration and don't mind loosing a fair bit of top end, get 1500RPM clutch springs, a 2000RPM contra, a Dr Pulley variator and 10g Dr Pulley sliding weights.

If you want better acceleration without much loss in the top end get 1500RPM clutch springs, 1500RPM contra springs, the Dr Pulley variator, and 12g Dr Pulley sliding weights.

The stator ground smoking most likely means you've got power going strait to ground somewhere in your wiring. I'd re-check it all!
AZruckuspride

MRP

Post by AZruckuspride »

Well I ordered a new stator because all of the wires in the stator were melted together. I don't know if this happened before i got the engine or after. Should I replace the rectifier? CDI? I started to cut open the wiring harness and go through it. I'll check it all but the wires don't look like any damage beyond the stator. We'll see.

So here is my next question...I ordered a new variator (MRP). I will test it out when it gets here. I got a good deal so I bought it. it comes with yellow clutch springs, a yellow contra spirng, variator, rollers, and fan. Has anybody used the MRP clutch? I would like to know because I could upgade my entire transmission for under $150 with the deal that I got on the variator package. $50 bucks. This would be my next upgrade and then CDI and coil. 161 BB kit might come later down the rode. So any MRP experiences out there?
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Rolling the dice, eh?

MRP has their name on so many things (some probably high quality, some definitely low quality) that I just flat out wouldn't bother. The stock PGO variator is more than likely higher quality than the $50 you're getting. $25 in sliders would offer you better results than a discount kit.

But, like I said, you're rolling the dice. You might actually get something that's high quality.
AZruckuspride

MRP

Post by AZruckuspride »

The kit that I bought seems to be high quality from what I've read but I just happened to fit it on ebay for cheap. It normally goes for $112, the variator is supposably up there with the DR. Pulley. I don't know much about the clutches though and there is not a lot videos on youtube on performance like there is on the ruckus. I'm going to hold off on the clutch until I sell more of my ruckus stuff but I will post a full review of the variator for sure. Thanks for the response.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

No problem, hopefully you got lucky. Let us know, yeah?
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

I've heard that MRP variators are crap. They get a lot of good reviews, but if you start digging, a lot of them are actually posted by MRP.

They DO have some good stuff, they carry the Dr Pulley stuff for instance. They also have a TON of crap.

Let us know how it goes, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
AZruckuspride

MRP

Post by AZruckuspride »

Thanks. At least i didn't spend a lot of money :lol:
AZruckuspride

Buddy 161

Post by AZruckuspride »

Ok here we go boys and girls :wink: I just went on a group ride and It was really fun nevertheless my variator hasn't come in and I can get above 50 mph. I'm pretty sure it's the weights but I will get all the tranny finished soon. My other buddy has a 150 GY6 in his ruckus and it's so torquey (new word) i felt embarrassed and jealous at the same time. So I have a little extra money and I want to go big bore. What is all needed to do everything right the first time around, cam, springs etc. Where can I get them? I like the stock exhaust so I'm not going to upgrade that.

Prima big bore is 189.99 at scooter works right now
NCY Intake Manifold, Racing - GY6 125- 59.99
NCY Big Valve Cylinder Head, 58.5 mm - GY6/Buddy 150- 109.99
A8 or A9 or A10 cam-?
springs?
What else?
Last edited by AZruckuspride on Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AZruckuspride

New clutch

Post by AZruckuspride »

Just picked up a new MRP red clutch. All I need is to find the clutch bell and the transmission is complete!
toycoma98

Post by toycoma98 »

What else GY6 parts are you using?
AZruckuspride

Post by AZruckuspride »

I just ordered the 161 kit and NCY big valve head and titanium springs from scooter works. This should make me happy :D . I also got my MRP variator and MRP racing clutch with the 1500 contra and clutch springs in. It jumps to a high rpm a lot faster and with the variator I have gotten about 5 mph more on the top speed. But i also think that something is wrong with the engine. No leaks but i don't have the torque everyone else has and my top speed so far is 52 mph GPS verified. The 161 kit will replace any worn out internal parts and I'll have to replace the valve springs so it should run right after that.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

AZruckuspride wrote:I just ordered the 161 kit and NCY big valve head and titanium springs from scooter works. This should make me happy :D . I also got my MRP variator and MRP racing clutch with the 1500 contra and clutch springs in. It jumps to a high rpm a lot faster and with the variator I have gotten about 5 mph more on the top speed. But i also think that something is wrong with the engine. No leaks but i don't have the torque everyone else has and my top speed so far is 52 mph GPS verified. The 161 kit will replace any worn out internal parts and I'll have to replace the valve springs so it should run right after that.
How many miles do you have on it? Most Buddy's don't really get any decent top end till they've got about 1500 miles on them.
AZruckuspride

Post by AZruckuspride »

I bought the engine used from some lady that bought it as a salvage bike so who knows. It's an 06'. I'll just have to pamper it with the new kit.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

any updates?!
AZruckuspride

Post by AZruckuspride »

I just installed the 161 kit and big valve head on it two days ago and now I'm breaking it in. I need to replace some o-rings and check out the rear gears because when I changed out the gear oil it was real nasty.
db

Re: Buddy 161

Post by db »

AZruckuspride wrote:Ok here we go boys and girls :wink: I just went on a group ride and It was really fun nevertheless my variator hasn't come in and I can get above 50 mph. I'm pretty sure it's the weights but I will get all the tranny finished soon. My other buddy has a 150 GY6 in his ruckus and it's so torquey (new word) i felt embarrassed and jealous at the same time. So I have a little extra money and I want to go big bore. What is all needed to do everything right the first time around, cam, springs etc. Where can I get them? I like the stock exhaust so I'm not going to upgrade that.

Prima big bore is 189.99 at scooter works right now
NCY Intake Manifold, Racing - GY6 125- 59.99
NCY Big Valve Cylinder Head, 58.5 mm - GY6/Buddy 150- 109.99
A8 or A9 or A10 cam-?
springs?
What else?
What is the difference between the A8 through A10 or 11 or 12 cam?
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

Nice looking swaps guys! Thats gonna make for some badass 'rucks done right.

One thing I'd recommend: the plastic scoop that covers the fan intake on the right side needs to come off, and hit the trashcan....it does nothing more than vacuum up dirt/debris/plastic bags from the road where its pointed. Remove it and bring in cleaner, cooler cooling air. Plus, it's fugly.

Keep up the good work!