a sad day for motorcycles.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Leeroy Jenkins

a sad day for motorcycles.

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

A Sad day for Buell and MV riders, and for all motorcyclists. Two Iconic brands died.

As of today, both Buell and MV announced they are closing their doors.

Statement from Erik Buell

http://www.buell.com/en_us/

I love my buddy, but I really dig Buells. I have owed 5. I currently only have 2 Buells.

:cry:
Last edited by Leeroy Jenkins on Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rajron

Post by rajron »

That is really too bad … one of the few motorcycles I would have purchased.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Sad, I've never really been a Buell fan as I'm a detractor of the Harley motor design, but its a shame that the only real American sport bike company is closing it's doors.
Portland_Rider
Location: Free Territory of the Pacific Northwest (Kalifornia refugee)

Post by Portland_Rider »

I'm not familiar with Buell and motorcycles. In the video, one can feel Mr. Buell's pain, sincerity, and dedication for his love and pride of building motorcycles. I wish him and his employees well.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I'm not a Buell fan but agree that this is a sad day for motorcycles, especially in the US.

Eric Buell's video is heartbreaking.

MV Augusta is apparently getting sold. No buyer yet. Maybe it'll go back to the Italians…?

Harley's full release is available here:
http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2009/ ... ell-m.html
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I too don't know much about Buell bikes but boy, what a tough video to have to make. You'd hope maybe a larger US company would partner up with Buell and keep them going. Better yet, where's the federal auto bailout money? Why none for Buell? Maybe sales are just that bad?

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:I too don't know much about Buell bikes but boy, what a tough video to have to make. You'd hope maybe a larger US company would partner up with Buell and keep them going. Better yet, where's the federal auto bailout money? Why none for Buell? Maybe sales are just that bad?
The problem is that Buell is a division of Harley Davidson. They use their own frames and Harley engines and trannies. So its not going to be simple to divorce themselves from Harley.
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

Wow, I have never owned a Buell but demoed quite a few. Sad day, as I thought Buell helped Harley come into the 20th century. Should be interesting.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

What a lot of folks in the MC community seem to be saying is that H-D dealers resented carrying and supporting Buell and did a poor job of it.

Ironically, this is similar to what happens to scooters at a lot of Honda and Yamaha dealers.

I know the Aprilias and Moto Guzzis sell pretty well in this area, but have to wonder if they're sidelined at Vespa/Piaggio scooter dealers in others. Of course, those have much more global appeal than Buell, which was a small, niche mark even in the US. Their overseas sales were probably awful—who in Europe or Asia would go for an American sportbike with a Harley engine? (Were they even available overseas?)

I'm glad H-D is selling MV Augusta. That made even less sense.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Rob

Post by Rob »

Wow, I didn't see this coming.
I'm not much into sportbikes being more of a cruiser guy, but I did ride an XB12R a few months ago and had a great time on it.

You're right, a sad day in the MC world, particularly for Erik Buell and his team.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

Wow, sad day. That video was a bit hard to watch
Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

Sorry, I should have filled yall in on the back story.

"Harley isn't killing Buell because it's unprofitable, it's killing Buell because it wants to invest every last penny back into Harley to save that brand from possible failure." - HD Spokesperson

Let us kill a brand that does sell, to save a brand that is not selling. Brilliant.

An innovative, american, profitable company needs to be sacrificed to save a company that cant sell its 20K leather and chrome couches.

Not sell it, shut it down.

LAME.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:Sorry, I should have filled yall in on the back story.

"Harley isn't killing Buell because it's unprofitable, it's killing Buell because it wants to invest every last penny back into Harley to save that brand from possible failure." - HD Spokesperson

Let us kill a brand that does sell, to save a brand that is not selling. Brilliant.

An innovative, american, profitable company needs to be sacrificed to save a company that cant sell its 20K leather and chrome couches.

Not sell it, shut it down.

LAME.
The lifestyle must be preserved. It is sacred. :roll:
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I can attest to the HD dealers not selling Buell stuff. For a while, I was interested in the Ulysses model, but there's no dealer anywhere near me. I went into an HD shop a few months back to see if I could get some info on some Buell parts and they don't even carry the stuff, despite the whole "HD will provide support and parts" bit that they made a statement about. Hell of a lot of chrome and thin leather there, though. And pewter placards on everything.

That video was hard to watch. Very sad indeed.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Ms_Kady

Post by Ms_Kady »

Man...that sucks. :(
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

This really comes as a surprise, especially after seeing new products recently announced. Buells possess a special character and I'm always drawn to bikes because of their character. I've never owned a Buell but I know folks who do and I've ridden a few. Their unique approach will be missed.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

I went into our local Harley Davidson Castle to check out the Buells a while back. I walked in and looked around at everyone that looked exactly alike shopping for something else to make them look more alike and after my way was blocked by a line of motorcycles from going any further I asked the smiling "ride counselor" about the Buells. The smile left his face and he jerked his thumb over his shoulder and said "in the back". I looked and left. Never went back. Horrible experience. Luckily, no nightmares but Pirates of the Caribbean will never be the same. :shock:
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Sad, but it doesn't suprise me at all. Should someone tell H-D that the world does not revolve around over priced chrome and Village People costumes? Just sayin...
EZPZ #65
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

nissanman wrote:Sad, but it doesn't suprise me at all. Should someone tell H-D that the world does not revolve around over priced chrome and Village People costumes? Just sayin...
Can't really blame them. They're just catering to the herd. They're going to be in big trouble when us baby boomers start to take dirt naps in huge numbers. 8)
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2009/Oct ... eleted.htm

I think that article about sums up the Buell odyssey. Never was a fan of the bike because of the way that the dealership network treated the Buell customer. There was some interesting bits on the Buell, but it was not ever a serious contender against any of the Jap 4, not even close. I would actually put Buell even with something like Moto Guzzi. Over priced, slow, weird, and hard to get serviced or parts.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

rsrider wrote:http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2009/Oct ... eleted.htm

I think that article about sums up the Buell odyssey. Never was a fan of the bike because of the way that the dealership network treated the Buell customer. There was some interesting bits on the Buell, but it was not ever a serious contender against any of the Jap 4, not even close. I would actually put Buell even with something like Moto Guzzi. Over priced, slow, weird, and hard to get serviced or parts.
Yeah, thats a good comparison. I always respected what Buell was trying to do, but not how they did it. Frankly the Harley motors are antiques, and didn't belong on a street bike. Still a shame though.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

What killed me was the decision earlier this year to nix the Blast.
In the vid on the Buell website, they stated it was a wonderful bike, great for beginners, pretty bulletproof, easy to maintain..."not threatening, it was low, it was light...and yet it handles well, they're really reliable. They've run 'em for years and years in training programs, people have gone cross-country on them. It's a solid, fundamental beginner's bike. Not innovative, not breakthrough, not a sport bike...just a nice, simple motorcycle." And so they decided to crush what was left of the Blast stock and discontinue the line.

One in a series of bad decisions by either Buell, H-D, or both, IMHO.
Syd

Post by Syd »

DennisD wrote:...I walked in and looked around at everyone that looked exactly alike shopping for something else to make them look more alike...
I enjoy going to the weekend outlaw biker hangouts in AZ: The Spirit Room in Jerome, Rock Springs, Tortilla Flats.

Nothing says Outlaw Biker more than Black Assless Leather Chaps.

With fringe.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

well good news for me.

I just bought a 2009 1125R brand new with 12 miles

for less than half price. (MSRP 12,500)

Kaos, this one does not have a "antique" harley motor in it.
Last edited by Leeroy Jenkins on Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:well good news for me.

for 4800 out the door. (MSRP 12,500)

Hmm, maybe I should pay one more visit to the Castle...

That's cheaper than a new Honda 150 scooter around these parts.
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

Wow, Leeroy that is awesome buy.
Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

Dealers are freak'n.

Slashing prices. Not sure how long this is going to last before they shoot back-up. When I was at the dealer, people were calling from all over the country getting quotes and buying the bikes over the phone and getting them shipped. This is the scene @ most Buell dealers.

I doubt there will be a new buell left by next weekend.

If you have ever want a buell or for that matter a superb sport motorcycle run to your nearest dealer for one of the best 2 wheel deals of the century.

I have always liked classic bikes. Now I own a state-of-art one.
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

May have to check out the local dealer and see if there is price slashing going on, blood on the showroom floor.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:well good news for me.

for 4800 out the door. (MSRP 12,500)

Wow, thats a really interesting exhaust on that thing. And a WICKED deal!
Portland_Rider
Location: Free Territory of the Pacific Northwest (Kalifornia refugee)

Post by Portland_Rider »

Leeroy,

That is one beautiful machine.

I can understand the standard delears who operate on a fairly short-term horizon slashing prices in this context. For a few individual specialized shops dealing in hard to find cycles and for individual collectors could the Buell become an even more unique and higher priced cycle in the next 5-10 years?
Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

Cheshire wrote:What killed me was the decision earlier this year to nix the Blast.
In the vid on the Buell website, they stated it was a wonderful bike, great for beginners, pretty bulletproof, easy to maintain..."not threatening, it was low, it was light...and yet it handles well, they're really reliable. They've run 'em for years and years in training programs, people have gone cross-country on them. It's a solid, fundamental beginner's bike. Not innovative, not breakthrough, not a sport bike...just a nice, simple motorcycle." And so they decided to crush what was left of the Blast stock and discontinue the line.

One in a series of bad decisions by either Buell, H-D, or both, IMHO.
Yeah, that kinda killed me, too. I really liked the Blast, it fit me perfectly, something none of the other Buells ever did. Would have made a neat first motorcycle (though I could still find one used)...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sled

Post by sled »

I once had a 1997 S1 Lightling. Very fun machine.
This current economic disaster is killing off a lot of American businesses. Sad state of affairs especailly for the guy who paid top dollar a month ago for a new Buell. Someone mentioned the bad fit of Buell sport bikes and the traditional HD hogs. Get this bad fit..the Tucson HD dealership also sells Vespas! Can you imagine the intimidation of a scooter buyer in the same building as a bunch of people that look and act like extras in a outlaw biker flick??
I do not think they sell too many Vespas
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

sled wrote:I once had a 1997 S1 Lightling. Very fun machine.
This current economic disaster is killing off a lot of American businesses. Sad state of affairs especailly for the guy who paid top dollar a month ago for a new Buell. Someone mentioned the bad fit of Buell sport bikes and the traditional HD hogs. Get this bad fit..the Tucson HD dealership also sells Vespas! Can you imagine the intimidation of a scooter buyer in the same building as a bunch of people that look and act like extras in a outlaw biker flick??
I do not think they sell too many Vespas
A lot of HD dealerships started carrying scooters over the past year or so. IN fact, some of the biggest growth in Buddy dealers over the past year have been HD dealers. This is partially due to the 2008 boom, partially due to the badass appeal of the Black Jack, and possibly due to economic factors. The HD dealers wanted something less expensive to sell. Also, many of those dealers have been around a while, are fairly financially stable and had the capital to expand into something new. Not a lot of new scooter dealers opening in '09.

As to how scooters sell at HD dealers, well… I don't know. Some motorcycle dealers "get" scooters and do very well with them. Others, not so much.
Francois Donadet

Post by Francois Donadet »

The Blast was always on my short list of potential first motorcyles. Went to a dealer once and got the "Oh they're in the corner," thing. Dissapointed that I wasn't going spend an extra 5,000 on a Sportster.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Kaos wrote:I always respected what Buell was trying to do, but not how they did it. Frankly the Harley motors are antiques, and didn't belong on a street bike. Still a shame though.
Geez, Kaos. You have cut me to the core! If you would say something like that about the H-D, what would you say about the powerplant that drivers my beloved Ural? Or the Stella down the street? Don't you have no kul-chuh?
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Dooglas wrote:
Kaos wrote:I always respected what Buell was trying to do, but not how they did it. Frankly the Harley motors are antiques, and didn't belong on a street bike. Still a shame though.
Geez, Kaos. You have cut me to the core! If you would say something like that about the H-D, what would you say about the powerplant that drivers my beloved Ural? Or the Stella down the street? Don't you have no kul-chuh?
Heh, I'm not saying I have a problem with antique motors ;) I own many hot rods(5 of em!), one from 1937. And a have a special place in my heart for Urals and the Stella. It just bothers me that the average Harley is marketed as a modern performance machine, when the design is anything but modern in most cases(Though I'm glad Leroy pointed out an Buell that was not!) .

When (According to Harley's own literature) The 2008 1200cc Sportster puts out a peak 80HP, thats not performance. A Friend of mine owns a GSX-R that puts out nearly double that, and is smaller displacement.
Heck the Triumph Daytona 675cc puts out 124hp at a bit over 1/2 the displacement

If they were marketing it as a nostalgia bike I think I'd have less problem with it, but its marketed as the biggest baddest mamma jamma on the block.

Now maybe I just am down on H-D because they're everyone's favorite bike to pick on, but they irk me with their whole mentality. This Buell closure is just another nail in the coffin.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Wow that's a friggin amazing deal on the 1125R. I'm more of a lightning fan myself, at least if we're talking looks... Congrats on the steal!
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Nice buy Leeroy, I'm sure you'll enjoy it for many years.

I don't understand the Buell, Harley, Guzzi or anything weird bashing, especially coming from scooterists. Our little Buddy thumpers are true antiques, with little real horsepower or torque. You bash HD for motors that "only" produce 80 hp, totally ignoring the stump-pulling torque that makes real world riding an absolute pleasure. Do Harleys fit my personal sense of style? No, but I fully understand the attraction for the experienced rider (I'm not talking about your average bad-ass dentist who likes to pretend on Saturdays). While you're at it, why not put down the new Indians as well. Those are really overpriced. They're also absolute gems as far as fit and finish.

Personally, after many years of riding, I find it impossible to work up any enthusiasm for pretty much any of the Japanese big 4 cookie cutter inline 4 sport bikes, even though they're mechanical marvels. I'll take my torquey V twin over an inline 4 every day of the week. And while I've never owned a Guzzi, I know of at least a handful that are true works of art and pure joy to ride. Overpriced? Depends on your priorities. Weird? I don't know, maybe. Unusual? Definitely. And I'm truly thankful for that.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

meh. I wont miss em.
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

Too bad about Buell biting the dust.

As for Harleys, I don't want to ride like I'm in a Superbike race; I want to sit up and be comfortable. I'm considering an 883 for just plain ol' riding.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."