[NSR] No more dog as of last night. UPDATE - new dog

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

gr8dog

[NSR] No more dog as of last night. UPDATE - new dog

Post by gr8dog »

Dog ownership is a great thing. They love you no matter what. There is always an enthusiastic greeting waiting for you at home, always a ball to be chased, always a walk to be had. They are warm, furry, happy and 100 percent honest.

Our Australian Shepherd (Sydney) reached the tender old age of 15 years 4 1/2 months when physical breakdown finally caught up with her. Yesterday evening we took her to the vet for the last time. We pet, scratched and talked to her as she was given the injection. That was difficult. Yesterday afternoon she completely lost the ability to walk, that's how we knew it was finally time.

Some of you may have seen her. She modeled for Fleet Farm. She is the mostly black, also tan and white, Australian Shepherd used in their printed ads.

Now that I am dog-less, do I get to keep my name? We do intend to get a puppy either in the spring or summer of next year. Anyway, I know many of you are animal lovers and I just wanted to share my experience. Thanks for reading.
Last edited by gr8dog on Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

That's a nice long life for a good dog. I'm sure there's many great memories there. Sorry about the loss, just remember the good things.
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

Thats a tough thing to go through . But you got 15+ great years out of her, thats a lot for a big dog.

Last year, after 14 years of having my Rottweiler, she experienced the same final days. Holding your pet as the injection is given is a hard thing to do, but I wouldn't have done it any other way.

For months I would have those brief moments that I forgot she was gone. You expect to look up and she her laying in her favorite spot, or expect her to be at the door when you get home.

Keep the name. You will always remember her as a great dog :wink:
Thadsgood

great dog

Post by Thadsgood »

Keep the name, what better tribute to a friend?
Rob

Post by Rob »

I'm sorry to hear about your pooch. I'm a dog lover as well and what you say about their unconditional love and affection is true.

We had to put our Springer down a few years back when he was 15. His final few months were difficult for him as well. Very tough at first, but damn that dog was funny ... so now we have a lot of great memories, pictures, etc.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
Portland_Rider
Location: Free Territory of the Pacific Northwest (Kalifornia refugee)

Post by Portland_Rider »

Of course you get to keep the name. I'm sorry for your loss. As long as you keep those loving memories in your heart, your great dog will always be with you.
Dean F

Post by Dean F »

I am sorry to hear about your loss gr8dog. I know what a great loss it is for the whole family. I lost my 14 year old yellow lab on August 8, 2009.
laxer

Post by laxer »

I'm sorry to hear that, but you probably have a lot of great memories from the past 15 years. We have an Australian Shepherd and they are great dogs, ours is 14 and has just developed a tumor on her leg :( Anyway, good luck with getting a new puppy, it's always fun to bring home a new addition to the fam.
Vic

Post by Vic »

My parents got Mitzi the summer between my kindergarten and first grade years, I was 6. Black and white cock-a-poo. She had silky soft black ears and I remember her running and running and running with those ears flapping in the wind behind her.

Mitzi lived an amazing 23 years. By the end she was blind and incontinent, but the vet said that she was not in pain, so we took care of our sweet little dog. The groomer would just shake their heads when we would call for her next appointment, amazed that our girl was still around. She fell out of my mother's waterbed and dislocated her hip, when it happened a second time the vet said that she was in pain and it was time. I am pretty sure the groomer was nearly as sad as we were.

It has been about a decade now and I still miss that funny little dog.

We now have what the vet told me is a jack russell rotweiler mix (nope, I don't want to even think about how that happened) and he is the sweetest, most gentle soul. Beau is really my son's dog and when he is visiting his dad poor Beau just sits around waiting for his boy to come home again. When my son is home they are inseparable.

Something special about a boy and his dog...

I am very sorry that Sydney has moved on, treasure your memories of a truly gr8dog. My kids' dad has 2 Aussies. Cool dogs.

-v
michelle_7728

No more dog as of last night

Post by michelle_7728 »

Absolutely keep your name! Our dogs can be like family and you never really forget any of them. Goofy as it sounds, I named my first scooter after the first dog I ever knew--Little Bit. We got him when I was six. Each dog I have had holds a special place in my heart. I'm glad you were able to be with your friend in the end. I'm sure it helped calm her and you know she didn't suffer. That's huge, in my book.
She was lucky to have such a loving family as yours. :)
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Your dog had a great life thanks to you. It is so difficult to say goodbye to them.

The Rainbow Bridge
inspired by a Norse legend

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,

Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.

Where the friends of man and woman do run,

When their time on earth is over and done.

For here, between this world and the next,

Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.

On this golden land, they wait and they play,

Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,

For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.

Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,

Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,

Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.

All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,

Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just at that instant, their eyes have met;

Together again, both person and pet.

So they run to each other, these friends from long past,

The time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,

Has turned into joy once more in each heart.

They embrace with a love that will last forever,

And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

As a long time pet owner, my heart goes out to you and your family.

As far as your name, well I don't have any say, but you could change it to Greatdog, hehe. (Not a f4n 0f u51ng numb3r5, b3c4u53 1t g1v35 m3 4 h34d4ch t0 r34d th4t cr4p.... hard to type too, lol)
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

Thanks everybody for your support. I knew I could count on all of you for words of wisdom and encouragement. I had to pull out a tissue to dab my face :cry: when I read the poem from DennisD. Thanks for making me look like a wuss DennisD. :clap:

My wife and two daughters are making lists of possible names for the next dog, I think they are up to about 25 names so far. We are looking into the AussieDoodle (Australian Shepherd Poodle mix) for our nest pup. The smarts of the Aussie without the shedding. I gotta get back to work since I am sitting at my desk, thanks again.
iwabj

Post by iwabj »

oops
Last edited by iwabj on Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I'm so sorry for your loss. *hugs*
ModBud #442
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

gr8dog wrote:Thanks everybody for your support. I knew I could count on all of you for words of wisdom and encouragement. I had to pull out a tissue to dab my face :cry: when I read the poem from DennisD. Thanks for making me look like a wuss DennisD. :clap:

My wife and two daughters are making lists of possible names for the next dog, I think they are up to about 25 names so far. We are looking into the AussieDoodle (Australian Shepherd Poodle mix) for our nest pup. The smarts of the Aussie without the shedding. I gotta get back to work since I am sitting at my desk, thanks again.
I understand completely how you feel. I can never read that poem without having my eyes well up with tears. Each time I see my old dog Astro running in those meadows. I want to believe that I'll see him again. :(
skidad

Post by skidad »

Sorry to hear of the loss of your companion & friend, My advice to you, Is to get another Puppy straight away, without waiting. I had to put our Jack Russell down a couple of years ago, and It was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do, So... In the meantime, Hug your Wife, Hug your Kids,Hug yourself.. You deserve It more that anyone I know !!
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Wow, that's rough! But I'm happy that you had such a long, wonderful time with your friend! My Frenchie just turned 11 and her back legs/hips are not very good right now. I worry that I may have to go through her loss in the next year or so.

Be proud of being such a good, loving owner for your dog! Whatever puppy you end up with will be a very lucky pooch!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
Major Redneck

Post by Major Redneck »

4 years ago a puppy showed up on my porch... It was a cute puppy but looked like it was going to die... Took it to the vet it had 2 broken ribs and worms bad,,, he said it was ether stepped on or hit with something...

Oh my! now what do i do? The last dog we had my 3 kids cryed for 3 days when i gave her to an old lady that needed a good dog... I said I would not get another dog for may reasons,,, the love bond one,,, hair and expence another...

Well long story short,,, I ended up keeping the dog after trying to give it away to whom ever... After she became grown everyone wanted her but it was too late by then I had feel in love with "Reject Poochie" (her name cuz no one wanted her) she's my baby... She's a pitbull mix loves people but other dogs,,, cats,,, animals NO!!! She's and inside dog and dislikes the rain and cold,,, she's a heater ho and a ac slut... After having other dogs and watching Dog Whisper a few times i got the idea of really how a owner and dog are to be,,, it worked!!! This dog does not even bark cuz she thinks she's a bad girl (unless someone comes to the door then its a little woof),,, she minds better than my 3 human children...

Last night as she and I went to bed I thought of your family and poochie... How much this dog means to me now in my life and how much a dog can mean to someone,,, Get another dog...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maj_redneck/2375317870/
Scoot'in is more fun than beating up your sister, and it comes with a key!!!
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

I'm very sorry for your loss. Please, keep the name.

I had to euthanize Loodieboy this past Spring, but the name remains and his tags are on a chain around my neck.
Clearly.
oryx

Post by oryx »

i'm sorry for your loss. i teared up at my desk too reading the poem.

pretzels the dog was a senior dog when i adopted her at the estimated age of 9yrs. Now, 4 years later she's maybe 13. she's got shaky back legs and starting to get cataracts. i've never had an older dog, and i'm not looking forward to going through what you have, when she does pass... :( (hugs)
Attachments
pretzels napping in sun (Medium).jpg
pretzels napping in sun (Medium).jpg (35.51 KiB) Viewed 1740 times
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

oryx wrote:i'm sorry for your loss. i teared up at my desk too reading the poem.

pretzels the dog was a senior dog when i adopted her at the estimated age of 9yrs. Now, 4 years later she's maybe 13. she's got shaky back legs and starting to get cataracts. i've never had an older dog, and i'm not looking forward to going through what you have, when she does pass... :( (hugs)
My Beagle died in May of this past year. He got shaky, collapsing legs at age 13 or so, but we got some fairly cheap arithritis pills from the vet, and he walked okay and lived a good life for another 3 years!

We'll be rescuing another pooch from the local pound before this Christmas comes, as I've found that living without a dog is not anywhere near as enjoyiable as living with one!
Me and the joyful ol' crone I live with are both in our early seventies, so I doubt we'll get a puppy as the next dog is liable to outlive us even if he's a few years old when we get him!
But, so be it... There are no guarentees in life anyway, ay? :lol:

My condolences to gr8dog on his loss.
They really are beautiful animals, dogs... :)
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

So sorry for your loss, I've been there three times and it tears my heart out every time. Now I stay dogless, it's to hard to see them go.

Keep the name in memory of your best friend. It's the honorable thing to do.
Dibber
Bart "This is the worst day of my life!" Homer "No it's the worst day so far!"
www.twincitiesrider.com
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

I am sorry.
so tough, so pink
Coffeejunkie

Post by Coffeejunkie »

While it's very sad to lose a member of your family, it's also nice to know that she had a long life full of love and happiness.

My wife and I adopted this little bugger, Gus, in 2005.
Attachments
Gus.jpg
Gus.jpg (30.8 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

http://javascoots.wordpress.com/
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

I hope this puts a smile on your face. Be sure the sound is on. :D

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw ... tanley.flv">
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

DennisD wrote:I hope this puts a smile on your face. Be sure the sound is on. :D
That was great :) Made my day. Wonderful music too. I miss my family pets now (in a good way)

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

That was awesome. Our cats and our dog always tolerated each other but never played together. Maybe the next dog.
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

Meet Chips, our new dog. He is a rescue dog. We got him from a local shelter. Several other people had filled out the adoption papers but nobody paid. We paid and were rewarded with an angel of a dog. He is a good camper, house broken, walks nicely on a leash, gets along with our cats and the kids LOVE him.

dawg onit

Post by dawg onit »

YAY! :D
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

AW! Looks like a sweetie. :D
TVB

Post by TVB »

WOOF! :)
michelle_7728

No more dog

Post by michelle_7728 »

Congrats! Nice looking dog!
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

What a beautiful pup! Has a nice intelligent look in the eye too. Most excellent :)

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

That's fantastic! I'm sure this lil fella will have a nice long life as well.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
ScootsMcGillicuddy

Post by ScootsMcGillicuddy »

So handsome!! And, of course, +1 for going to the shelter!! :D
Vic

Post by Vic »

AWWWW! What a sweet looking doggie!

Our dog, Beau (rottie terrier mix of some indeterminate combination), is currently fostering 3 of the kittens that we have not found a home for-yet.

Beau has adopted one of the kittens and I am afraid that we are gonig to be keeping Stubby, I just don't have the heart to take a dog's cat away from him. Stubby is a black cat that was born with only part of a tail, it seems to be a birth anomaly, but he gets around fine, because his tail is so short instead of the sweeping and flicking that most cats do with their tails, Stubbs wags his tail back and forth. We figure that the dog who "wags" his tail by moving it up and down (as opposed to back and forth like every other dog I have ever seen in my entire life) and the cat who wags his tail like a dog have something in common-that and all the other creatures in the house have long, sinuous tails that they love to flaunt in front of the short-tailed duo.

Beau is a good daddy to all of the kittens and their mom, he grooms them and when we do something traumatic to them (clip claws, dunk them in water for a flea bath or get after them with the flea comb are the current activities) they run to him for understanding, cuddling and his reassuring tongue washing their little faces.

You just can't beat having a good dog around (and they are all good, in their own way).

Congrats to your family on the new arrival, I hope you have many happy years.

-v
dawg onit

Post by dawg onit »

Just really so happy for you! Typed Yay the other day w/ a smiley that didn't really convey my true feelings. I think everybody has known the best dawg or kat on the planet with their own friendships we are blessed with along the way. I was stuck on stupid when I lost a friend,(I was miserable) & didn't think I wanted any other dawg around me.

Now I couldn't imagine a day with out Shyner, PIT MIX I can have wake up my nephew by saying "go wake up Austin". I could go into how this dawg makes us happy every day, but what I really learned, (hard as it frak was ) is you can always help a friend as well as have one. Shout out to Humboldt, good dawg, miss you
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I love it! Congratulations on your new dog! :D
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

It's nice to see you got a new dog from the shelter. I work for the humane society and it's sad to see cats and dogs unwanted and get euthenised once in a while.

Just the other day a woman brought in a $1800 laberdoodle she purchased, and it's dead now because of other owners like her who impulse buy dogs then dump them at shelters. There's always tons of good animals out there, you just need to go find them. A huge price tag never means a good personality or companionship.
Jules

Post by Jules »

I volunteer at an animal shelter and I think it is great that you got a shelter dog! Our next dog will more than likely come from a shelter, but we are still not quite ready for one yet, but someday.

He looks adorable and I bet he is a wonderful pet.