NSR: 'Firefly'/'Serenity'

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

Lostmycage wrote:I'm solidly Anti-TV, but that's mainly due to the mindless jibber-jabber commercials and the onslaught of "reality" shows, which I firmly believe will be the downfall of humanity. That said, I have a sneaking suspicion that I might like some of these off-air shows. Best part is, if I borrow from some friends, I can catch up and avoid the brainwashing ads at the same time. Sadly, that's much more preferable than watching something as it airs. I'm glad I'm not one of those "Nielsen Families" or we'd all be screwed into watching Mythbusters and the History channel.
This is why video recording tech has been such a Godsend... record the show, and when you watch it later, FF through the commercials. As for "reality" shows? You have a choice to watch or NOT WATCH. I choose to NOT WATCH!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I'm glad I'm not one of those "Nielsen Families" or we'd all be screwed into watching Mythbusters and the History channel.
Hey, the HC and Mythbusters are awesome!

Buffy is very good for 3-4 seasons and then it tanks badly IMHO (although there are a few good shows here and there in seasons 5-7). It really lost its magic (for me) when they graduated from High School and then dropped out of college.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
myras_girls

Post by myras_girls »

Lostmycage wrote:I wanted to like it (you can thank Firefly/Serenity for that), but I just never cared. I even gave it time to develop a bit, but it just didn't do it for me. Maybe it's the Sci-Fi twist or something, but it didn't share much with FF/S. I'm halfway thinking of checking out the Buffy series. I'd always chalked that up as TV fodder, but recently I started realizing that maybe this Joss guy's got some other merits to his shows.

Again, thanks myras_girls for the tip off on the Firefly deal. It was the best $13 I've spent in a while! I went back to another BB later to pickup a second gift copy for the holidays. I got my dad hooked on this show and I think I'll be giving him a proper copy come late December.
Buffy is my all-time favorite tv show ever. I think Firefly had the potential to surpass Buffy if it had not been canceled, though. The first 2-3 seasons of Buffy are great but do have a bit of campiness to them, which I think turns off some people if they are only catching an episode here and there.

The overall story arc and character development are what make Buffy (and Angel, for that matter) really excellent shows. Buffy takes a few episodes to find it's footing but it's great in the long haul.

A big part of what I really love about Buffy is how groundbreaking it was at the time it aired. Nowadays it might not seem that unique but when I watched it live every Monday/Tuesday there were plenty of moments that left me in disbelief that a tv show would take the risks that Joss took with Buffy.

I do have some friends that felt Buffy lost something after Seasons 3/4 but I never felt that way. And I have other friends whose favorite seasons are 5/6/7. IMO, Buffy is at least good enough to give a chance on dvd. Everyone may not love it as much as me, but I've met few people who gave it a real chance and didn't think it was at least entertaining enough to watch once through.
<a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/killerbee ... b/">Killer Bees Scooter Club</a> Fort Collins, CO
black sunshine

Post by black sunshine »

wowo, just saw this thread - avowed Browncoat here! i discovered the series late, alas :( but once i did, i sat and watched every episode while on a business trip to Phoenix . . . LOVE IT.
myras_girls

Post by myras_girls »

'Firefly' is on sale again at Best Buy. $10.99! O_O

I bought 4 copies last time and plan to give them as gifts. Maybe I'll buy a few more. haha.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Firefly%3A+ ... &lp=1&cp=1
<a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/killerbee ... b/">Killer Bees Scooter Club</a> Fort Collins, CO
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

Picked up Dollhouse at BB yesterday for $15!
-K
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
ninacan

Post by ninacan »

Hey all. I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here but I had to put my 2 cents in. I loved the show and I was disappointed when they canceled it. I really liked Serenity too and just about cried when Wash died :cry: .
I didn't get into Dollhouse for the reasons stated above - just not a fan of Eliza Dushku. And I know Nathan is in Castle but... it's just not the same.
So anyway, I've decided to name my new Italia Firefly. The reasons are 2 fold; 1 - I loved, loved, loved the series and 2 - my work involves the chemical that makes firefly butts light up. Perfect! I'm getting this decal to put onto the back of the scoot.
Attachments
firefly.JPG
firefly.JPG (17.53 KiB) Viewed 1098 times
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

Tocsik wrote:
Have you seen Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog? It's way cool.
Ya know, I think I may have seen it. :)

rsrider

Post by rsrider »

So anyway, I've decided to name my new Italia Firefly.
I'll name mine "reaver". :twisted:
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
ninacan

Post by ninacan »

rsrider wrote:
So anyway, I've decided to name my new Italia Firefly.
I'll name mine "reaver". :twisted:
:shock:

pew pew
myras_girls

Post by myras_girls »

ninacan wrote:So anyway, I've decided to name my new Italia Firefly. The reasons are 2 fold; 1 - I loved, loved, loved the series and 2 - my work involves the chemical that makes firefly butts light up. Perfect! I'm getting this decal to put onto the back of the scoot.
Excellent name for a scooter! :D

Dragon*Con has a great guest list of Firefly cast so far. It will be my first time seeing Sean Maher!
myras_girls

Post by myras_girls »

ed85379 wrote:
Tocsik wrote:

Nice Dr. Horrible and that's an excellent freeze ray. Or is it the death ray?
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

myras_girls wrote:
ninacan wrote:So anyway, I've decided to name my new Italia Firefly. The reasons are 2 fold; 1 - I loved, loved, loved the series and 2 - my work involves the chemical that makes firefly butts light up. Perfect! I'm getting this decal to put onto the back of the scoot.
Excellent name for a scooter! :D

Dragon*Con has a great guest list of Firefly cast so far. It will be my first time seeing Sean Maher!
I saw him and Morena Baccarin at the original Serenity preview in Boston. She is just as amazingly hot in person! And I was like 3 feet from her! :)
myras_girls

Post by myras_girls »

ed85379 wrote:I saw him and Morena Baccarin at the original Serenity preview in Boston. She is just as amazingly hot in person! And I was like 3 feet from her! :)
Jewel Staite was at one of the previews in Denver. We didn't know she would be coming and it was such an awesome surprise!

I saw Morena at Dragon*Con in 2005. She'll be back this year.
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

myras_girls wrote:
ed85379 wrote:
Tocsik wrote:
Nice Dr. Horrible and that's an excellent freeze ray. Or is it the death ray?
That's my Death Ray. The Freeze Ray totally needs a big mount and stuff. Can't be carried around, donchaknow!